• This topic has 10 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by igm.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Rear pannier rack question – disc brake spoiler
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

I've got a Boardman comp hybrid with Avid BB5 disc brakes.

I bought a TORTEC Apex Disc Rack, after speaking to the chaps in Evans – West End.

So I take it back "home" and try to fit it, but it won't!! It would appear that the caliper body on the BB5 stand too proud of the frame to allow the rack to fit.

Any other racks out there that'll clear the caliper, maybe attaches to the seat stays or summit or am I on a hiding to nothing?

druidh
    Free Member

Tortec Super Tourist DX??

steve_b77
    Free Member

If you mean the Topeak Super Tourist you may be onto something

druidh
    Free Member

That's the one …durrh. Works fine on my Ti hardtail (XTR calipers)

igm

I added an extra nut between the frame and the rack to gain clearance

cynic-al
    Free Member

You've got 3 nuts?

steve_b77
    Free Member

I think I'll take a trip back to Evans tomorrow and see if they can get me a Super Tourist in.

PJay
    Free Member

You can bodge it. My Inbred with a rack and BB7 disc brakes required long bolts and an assortment on nuts and washers to pad everything out and I had to splay out the legs of the rack – but it does all fit. Whether it's up to the weight of a proper touring load I don't know, but it works.

You can buy 'L' shaped adapters that attach to the rack mounts and push the rack mounting out behind the caliper, I'm sure that someone can point you in the right direction.

PJay
    Free Member

Another options is P-clipswhich should let you attach the rack to the seatstays.

steve_b77
    Free Member

All excellent ideas.

No worries on the full touring load, just got to get a pannier on one side with a laptop, some office type clothes and maybe a bit of food on teh way home, nowt too heavy

igm

I stuck my son in a CoPilot Limo on top of my bodge (which is why I couldn't use a different rack) and he was fine even for mild off road (bits of Dalby red – I spend too much time at Dalby)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Rear pannier rack question – disc brake spoiler’ is closed to new replies.