Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Rear mech's: XT, SLX or Zee?
  • stevied
    Free Member

So I duffed my rear mech last night and need a replacement 😥

I was running an XT SGS on an 11-34 cassette (1 x 10). I know I can go GS so what’s the general consensus? Was thinking SLX but then found a Zee at a great price. Anyone been able to compare the 3? Any real world difference?

t-p26
    Free Member

You pays your money….. you know the rest

plyphon
    Free Member

Deore.

Brown
    Free Member

My tiny clutch Zee is lighter than my medium non-clutch SLX, worked fine with a double and now with a single ring, and seems tough (it’s survived six months of me riding it, and I have a tendancy to drop bikes onto their mechs when I crash). I like it.

stevied
    Free Member

You pays your money….. you know the rest

Helpful 🙄
    Zee is cheaper than Deore S+..

chiefgrooveguru

Zee is short cage SLX with a different badge. That’s what I use on one bike and have bought for another.

Scamper
    Free Member

@Brown. What was your set up to get a short cage zee to work on a double? 11-36 and 22/32?

Brown
    Free Member

Exactly that. You’ll need the wide ratio mech. It was probably a bit slack in small/small, but why would you use that?

Rich
    Free Member

Buy the zee, for the length if nothing else. Less likely to catch on rocks.
    Also the metal clutch switch is nice.

mcnultycop

As above, Zee keeps it all out of the way. I have Zee on both bikes.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Zee here too, great little mech and has taken some rock bashing on mine.

stevied
    Free Member

My Zee FR one arrived yesterday. Really is a compact mech, nice short cage and same weight as my SGS XT S+…Happy days

scandal42
    Free Member

Zee

seems very strong and mine has taken a few knocks with no consequences.

jeffm
    Free Member

Lots of zee love here. I’m running a shadow + XT and have had no probs.
    What does the zee do that slx, xt etc don’t do?

stevied
    Free Member

I didn’t have any probs with my XT s+, I bashed it.
    The FR Zee cage, which will do 36T on a 1 x 10, is only approx 50mm between the jockey wheel centres. My XT SGS is about 95mm.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

What does the zee do that slx, xt etc don’t do?

Short cage. That’s it.
    Benefits are more clearance, lighter and better chain wrap on the chainring for marginally if any better retention.
    Drawback is less capacity to take up slack so chain length is important as is setup.

Mackem

I’m using a Zee 1×10 and it’s been great. But, I’m thinking about one of those new 40T rear cog things to get a super-granny gear. I’m not sure a Zee will be able to handle this, so if that’s something you are considering for the future then a different mech might be better.

Postman-Pat
    Free Member

Sorry to sound thick, but can you use a ZEE mech on a 2×10 setup? I keep reading conflicting reports

Northwind

Possibly. Depends on your bike too, some people claim to have done it successfully but then, you never really know what that means, whether they have the full range of gears and suspension travel or whether they’re on a hardtail or a chain-growthy full suss. I’ve got a short cage shimano on a 1×9 bike and I’m pretty skeptical, it’s not got a lot of margin for that frankly never mind another ring.

I’ve been really impressed with the durability of XT, though, one of mine has taken an extended kicking and is still good as new. Covered in scrapes but unfussed. Only downside is that I’ve gone through about twice as many mech-hangers as I used to with my 9-speed wibbly wobbly X9!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Rear mech's: XT, SLX or Zee?’ is closed to new replies.