Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • rear mech tech question for you
  • westcoastmassive
    Free Member

Hi,
    I was looking at upgrading a rear mech, but dont know anything about the science behind them. Im pretty sure my old xt is a medium cage, but i dont know why. Whats the difference between short, medium and long cages, and if i were to change from, say, medium to long, would it just bolt on and work just the same (after setting it up, obviously) and what impact would it have on my bike`s performance?
    Second question, about gear cables. What thicknesses of cable do you use, and is there a kind of minimum spend that would ensure good quality? I bought some cheapos recently, and ive had nothing but problems with them clogging up. I would need outer cables that ran full length, does anybody have any recommendations for a set that doesnt require taking out a second mortgage?
    Thanks in advance for any help. Cheers.

jemima
    Free Member

I tend to run the shortest mech cage I can get away with – just because I think shorter is tidier and less chance of catching mech on rocks etc. Rule of thumb is short cage for one chainring. medium cage for 2 chain rings and long cage for 3. If a medium worked for you before I’d stick with it unless a long cage is more cost effective or easier to get. It won’t really be detrimental to performance at all.

Regarding cables I tend to buy either a Shimano XT cable set if I need to do the whole lot. In the case of full length outers I buy standard Shimano inner and standard Shimano outer at £2/m (if I remember correctly). Make sure to get new ferrules and ask for the ones with the wee O-rings inside – they really help to seal the cable and ensure longevity. That’s my opinion for a cost effective and well functioning set up.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Mech explanation above is what I go by, but as for the cables….I haven’t found anything better than the Gore Cables & Outers.

westcoastmassive
    Free Member

thanks, thats a very good simple explanation of the cage length question- nice one!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘rear mech tech question for you’ is closed to new replies.