Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Rear mech not shifting down very well…can the spring weaken?
  • dingabell
    Free Member

Hi all.
    I’m having problems with my rear mech not shifting down, so I’ve changed the cables but this hasn’t sorted it. Is it possible that the (quite old) mech spring has over time weakened? Has anyone else had this problem and did you sort it by just replacing your whole mech? Cheers.

cynic-al
    Free Member

you mean shifting “up” into smaller sprockets (but higher gears)? IE a conventional, not rapid rise mech?

I’ev not seen this cause but have heard of it.check all the mech pivots, including the top one, and B-tension adjustment.

coatesy
    Free Member

Sram mech by any chance?

dingabell
    Free Member

Sorry, yes shifting into smaller cogs. It’s an XT mech but I’ve had it on the bike for quite a while.

coatesy
    Free Member

Can, and does happen to older mechs. Prime cause of slow upshifts is usually stiff/dirty/damaged cables, have you changed both the inner and outer? If so, then it’s likely to be the mech (or how it’s set up, see Al’s post), or a badly worn drivetrain.

haggis1978

As Al said this can happen but I’ve never seen it either. Check every adjustment possible on the mech. Have you been running big ring, big ring? This is supposed to have the rear mech at its full extension and this can bugger the spring

trail_rat
    Free Member

Worn jockey wheels can cause this too – not just ninja stars but excessive side to side play too – usually comes with ninja stars though)

dingabell
    Free Member

Don’t really ride big ring-big ring and I changed outer and inner cables which feel much better than before. Will maybe take the mech off the bike and have a proper look at it. Have never done that, so maybe it’s had a knock or just got a bit seized from years of crap weather? Failing that I suppose it’s shiny new mech time?

alpin
    Free Member

Brake cleaner and then re-grease.

ndthornton
    Free Member

dirty cables

retro83
    Free Member

Very common on SRAM, never had it on Shimano.

Also check the hanger is straight and what Alpin and ndthornton have said.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

+1 for dirty cables causing drag. The Mech spring has to pull the slack cable through that the lever releases as you change to a smaller sprocket, if the cables aren’t running freely enough it’ll struggle to do it. You’ll be able to tell if it’s the mech or the cable easily enough if you undo the cable from the mech and try moving the mech by hand .

thered

I had it once on an XTR mech.

Edit: the spring wear I mean

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Rear mech not shifting down very well…can the spring weaken?’ is closed to new replies.