• This topic has 22 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by igm.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Rear mech hunting, old fashioned 9 speed!
  • matty456
    Free Member

Finished building my sons OO 456 Evo II, superstar 32 chainring on front, however long cage rear mech makes chain on inner cassette noisy, was 3 chain rings on front originally. Looking for a 9 speed medium cage slx or deore rear mech, checked all the usual on line shops, crc, merlin etc, can’t find one! Any suggestions where I might buy one? Shifter, cassette and chain are in really good condition so want to hold off going 10 speed until they need replacing.

ninfan
    Free Member

10sp mech runs fine on 9 speed chain and cassette, and vice versa, it’s only really the shifters that matter.

ads678

Have you thought about using chain guide like a black spire stinger or something? Is the chain the too long?

mikey3
    Free Member

Why not buy the sora med mech from crc,only £16 quid.

jam-bo

Classified? I got a tidy XT 9spd recently for £20

thomthumb
    Free Member

10sp mech runs fine on 9 speed chain and cassette, and vice versa, it’s only really the shifters that matter

thats not right. don’t spread misinformation.

9/10 speed have different pull ratios.

fasthaggis

9/10 speed have different pull ratios.

Is there not an adjustable bodge(changing the cable stop) that can sort that?

Speshpaul

ninfan – Member
    “10sp mech runs fine on 9 speed chain and cassette, and vice versa, it’s only really the shifters that matter.”

10sp MTB mechs will not work with 9 speed shifters.

Thats pretty well documented.

Sora is the way to go.

devash
    Free Member

Chain Reaction – 9 Speed XT available in medium cage – £35

I’m still on 3X9 using one of these but in long cage flavour. Can’t fault it.

Yak

I’ve just bought an xt 9sp medium cage one. Available everywhere for 30-something quid. Got mine from wiggle. I’d go for one of those as they don’t go sloppy as quickly as slx/deore etc.

Northwind

ninfan – Member

10sp mech runs fine on 9 speed chain and cassette, and vice versa, it’s only really the shifters that matter.

Nope, pull ratios are different.

matty456
    Free Member

Thanks. I’ll be ordering a 9 speed xt medium cage mech from wiggle later!

igm

Well I run a 9spd XT with 105 10spd shifters and my son has a 10spd 105 mech with a 9spd XT shifter.

Works fine. Pull ratios are close enough, possibly identical.

You can’t use 10spd MTB with anything other than 10spd MTB though – unless 11spd works but I don’t know about that.

njee20
    Free Member

Well I run a 9spd XT with 105 10spd shifters and my son has a 10spd 105 mech with a 9spd XT shifter.

Works fine. Pull ratios are close enough, possibly identical.

That’ll be a road mech then? Which, as said, works fine. MTB 10 speed mechs are different, as you indeed acknowledge, so unsure of your point. Ninfan’s post was still misleading.

Is there not an adjustable bodge(changing the cable stop) that can sort that?

You can run a Shimano 10 speed mech with a 9 speed SRAM shifter by adding a c5mm ‘spacer’ under the pinch bolt.

kcal

Still have couple of 8 speed rear mechs “just in case” … 🙂

igm

njee – my only point was clarity. Reading it back I worded it badly.

There are other things to watch too when you mix road and MTB. I’m currently sticking a 9spd Deore mech on my road bike so I can run an 11-36 cassette having had my legs ripped off in the peaks last weekend. Why Deore and not XT? Because Deore has a barrel adjuster at the mech like a road mech and an M771 doesn’t and therefore needs an in line adjuster.

fasthaggis

Still have couple of 8 speed rear mechs “just in case”

Do you want some XT shifters to go with them 🙂 😳

Stainypants

Shimano 10-speed road shifters have the same pull as as Shimano 9 speed MTB mechs. I run the same as you on my road bikes with an old LX mech on one and an new XT on the other.

But 10 speed MTB requires has different pull and will not work with 9 speed MTB shifters regardless of whether there is a barrel adjuster,

kcal

te he, given how much I used to knacker the shifters by bashing my knees on them as I cartwheeled over the bars, might not be a bad idea!! You anywhere near Elgin / Morayshire / Speyside??

fasthaggis

Dundee,send an address I will post them up to you.
    Found while clearing part of the shed the other day and I thought whenTF am I ever going to use these?

Still put them back in the drawer though 🙄

njee20
    Free Member

Because Deore has a barrel adjuster at the mech like a road mech and an M771 doesn’t and therefore needs an in line adjuster.

Shadow mechs don’t have a barrel adjuster, an old XT or XTR would work fine (if you could find one).

igm

M771 is 9spd and works fine with an in line adjuster.

I agree a M781 won’t work.

And njee I agree – but I needed a new mech as my old ones are beyond repair.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Rear mech hunting, old fashioned 9 speed!’ is closed to new replies.