Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Rear Mech hanger snapped.
  • stanfree
    Free Member

So heres the story decided to take my biek out for a quick blast this afternoon instead of watching the football. It was booked into Halfords as the gears have been jumping and the forks seem kinda loose. Its a Gt aggressor xtc 1. So anyway I had done about 6 miles mainly through muddy woods and the chain snags . I take the back wheel of and try and clean the rear mech notice the chain is in a poor condition and one link looks damaged . Anyhow I put it back on as Im about 4 miles from home and its freezing , pedal about 10 feet and the mech hanger shears. The bike is about 5 months old and I have a service warranty type deal with Halfords . First question is this quite a common fault and what parts Im a liable to be billed for considering the bike not that old. Also my bike is well used but always given a good clean what kind of chain should I go for if getting a new one ?.

trail_rat
    Free Member

you will be billed

that is not a warrenty issue

you noted the problem and carried on ,

the part in question is designed to fail to save expensive parts

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Trail rat is correct.A lot cheaper than a rear mech.

stanfree
    Free Member

Fair enough I suppose its better it happened before I put the bike in as they might have just adjusted the gears and It could have happened on my next ride out possibly 20 miles from home.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It's a pain when the happens – sometimes the mech gets a bit bashed and sometimes it's a stiff link. HF should stock the replacement hanger. £15 sounds like a lot for bit of ally, but it's better than am irreparably bent frame.

BTW. Carry a spare
    BTW. Consider singlespeeding 😉

stumpyjon

As the other said regarding the hanger. As for chains, I'd go for a SRAM PC951 or 971 one as I like SRAM chains. It's personal preference, though there does seem to be a consensus that Shimano chains aren't that hot.

rossrobot
    Free Member

Stanfree – same happened to me (my bike was also about 5 months old) and it was covered by the warranty according to Evans. I was expecting a repair bill but they happily replaced the part and fixed it free of charge.

stanfree
    Free Member

Sounds promising Cheers for the help folks.

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

wow evans covered the hanger?! thats a first. take your bike to another shop halfords mechanics cant put forks on pointing the right way……. http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2009/11/flat_pack_bikes.html

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

link a little out of context but still good to watch.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Rear Mech hanger snapped.’ is closed to new replies.