Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Rear Maxle keeps coming loose (T129)
  • qwerty
    Free Member

Mates bike (i’m HT only).

Whyte T129, the rear Maxle comes loose pretty much every ride. Been back to shop 3 times who cited “design fault”, they sort it, only for it to reoccur, out of warranty. Appears to be the drive side threaded Maxle insert (female bit), it has a notch in it into which a tooth sits which is tightened down by a small hex bolt. At a guess this hex keeps loosening, allowing play to develop in the loosened axle. Thread lock considered, but apparently this part needs adjustment from time to time.

Anyone had this and/or know of a cure?

Ta

otsdr
    Free Member

The small hex is there only to prevent losing the insert when you take out the wheel; the insert itself is held in place by the axle under normal operation.

The Maxle itself has an adjustment bolt in the center, is that correctly set?

docrobster
    Free Member

Loose rear Maxles seem quite common on my mates’ bikes.

qwerty
    Free Member

otsdr – I hear you. I’ll check next time I see him.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I have a G150 with a similar set up and it has never come loose. Are you sure he is doing the maxle up correctly? I’m struggling to think why it would ever loosen.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

This is a common issue with Maxles, on one ride at Cannock the maxle on my Giant Reign unwound itself twice – to the point that the wheel came off.

Make sure there is no grease on the thread and threadlock.

Maxle ultimates are supposedly less prone to the issue.

cokie

Most certainly an issue with his maxle- as otsdr says, try tightening up the axle that runs through the center.

I’ve got a T129 and never had an issue with the rear axle.

Rockplough
    Free Member

The rear maxle on my old bike would do this unless it was done up b’stard tight.

New maxle on my t-129 hasn’t skipped a beat. As said above make sure it is correctly adjusted and that he’s correctly using the lever to lock it.

damascus
    Free Member

If the bike shop has looked at it and can’t fix it I’m guessing it’s faulty.

My friend has a dodgy front maxle on a pair of x fusion forks. The solution is a rubber band around the fork leg that holds it in place.

Try someone else’s maxle if possible. See if it does the same? If that fixes it buy a different maxle.

windysurfer
    Free Member

has a similar issue on my T130, the tooth doesn’t sit into the notch enough allowing some rotation which shows its self as a loose maxle.I’ve thread locked the insert in place (only with the weak threadlock so I can get it back out if needed) and the problem is now gone.I think part of this is that I never tighten my maxle up really tight.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Rear Maxle keeps coming loose (T129)’ is closed to new replies.