Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • rear maxle axle !
  • roblane65
    Free Member

right I’ve aquired a rear maxle to fit to the meta 55 and I was told it it was a 135 x 12 but I don’t think it is ,more like a 150 or 142 x 12 question is how do you measure the effective length of a maxle ?
    any one know.

roblane65
    Free Member

also the lad I got it of said it came of a giant reign so surly that would make a 142 x 12 and it’s ano blue if that helps.

mildred

Depends which year reign. They were 135x12mm (2010/11 reign x).. Is it maxle or maxle light? My maxle protrudes out ofthe other side by about 10-15mm, whereas my maxle light was flush.

matthew_h
    Free Member

The 135mm dimension doesn’t refer to the length of the maxle, it’s the distance between the dropouts. SO for a 135mm rear end the actual maxle axle with have to be a fair bit longer in order to be able to bolt up on either side.

HTH

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

as above, 135 or 142 is the measurement between dropouts. The 7mm difference between 135 and 142 is 3.5mm cut out of each dropout on the 142.

roblane65
    Free Member

yep I understand that but is there an overall dimension including threads that dictate weather the maxle is for 135 142 or 150 etc.
    just so as I can define exactly which one I’ve got. thanks for the replys. 😉
    btw it is a maxle lite (scalloped out in the middle of the shaft.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How long is it?
    How much sticks out when you put it in the frame?

Should answer it

chasemcleod
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2009 Marin Wolf Ridge with the 135x12mm rear maxle option. I’m wanting to convert it to 142mm to make it easier to install the rear wheel.

This is possible but it will cost £50 to buy the 142mm dropouts and £30 for the Shimano e-thru axle on top of the £13 to convert my rear hub (and as an aside, the 142mm dropouts are black…I prefer my current 135’s red colour). However, the 135 and 142 dropouts look the same except for the 3mm recess inside both of the 142mm dropouts.

Has anyone therefore simply got a local machining shop to remove the required 3mm from the inside of each of the 135mm dropouts (Marin or otherwise)?

The outside width of the dropouts would remain the same so the 135mm maxle would still fit fine (wouldn’t it?) but with just 3mm less thread in the threaded dropout? Using a 142mm however would cause the threaded end to jut out.

Can anyone see a flaw in the above…or has anyone done the same with their 135mm dropouts already?

thepodge
    Free Member

Depends how thick the dropouts are.

Cracked dropouts wouldn’t be fun

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘rear maxle axle !’ is closed to new replies.