Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Rear light options
  • Gordymac
    Free Member

What’s the best performing rear light these days?
    I did have an Exposure Flare but I lost it off the under seat bracket for the second time!
    I was lucky in finding it first time but it’s gone for good this time.

Daffy

I think the Flare is still one of the best. I also use a Hope District for longer rides on unlit roads.

steve_b77
    Free Member

The Lezyne Zecto drives are very good indeed

teasel
    Free Member

Just out of interest, Gordymac, what failed – the bracket breaking where it clasps the light or the silicone band giving up?

Gordymac
    Free Member

The bracket where it grips the light. I even had a thin rubber band around the light and bracket to try and give it a bit more security but it still fell off somehow.
    The silicone band is fine

I’m thinking if I get another one as I still have a charger and battery I’ll botch a tie wrap solution so it can’t fall off.

teasel
    Free Member

I have the TraceR – the latest version of a similar light. I’ve done the same as you and wrapped an extra elastic band around the light and bracket and so far it’s fine. I still have my Flare and the first saddle mount I bought which snapped on its second insertion. Is this what happened to yours – a cracked clamp?

Also, if you like the light, the TraceR seems to sit in the bracket a bit more securely than the Flare* as well as having a flange at the end where you have the o ring on the Flare. I’d recommend going for TraceR over the Flare even though you have the charging gear.

I’m tempted to throw my newly warrantied Flare your way but Sods Law says I’ll lose my TraceR if I do… 🙂

*I haven’t had the Verniers on it yet, though, so it could be imaginary.

TiRed

Two Cateye Rapid Minis. One mounted to the saddle rails (I use a dedicated Fizik mount) and one mounted to the seatpost.

Not cheap – £45 for the lights plus £15 for the dedicated mounts. But you will want for nothing and never lose one.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As with the above, but different lights – Moon Shield 60.

One on seatpost, one on helmet. Have never lost one, and they’re faultless after a couple of years of commuting and general hacking around.

TiRed

I liked the moon lights too, but think Cateye mounts carry the day (two saddle mounts, seatpost, rack and clothing – all interchangeable) Now if Moon could make that rear plate 2mm wider 😉

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

road.cc rear light guide + ‘comparison engine’

I use a Hope District; it’s brighter than a million suns.

TiRed

That’s because the suns are far away 😉

Igmc

Yak

Not sure about best performing, but given my tendency to lose these, I use cheap phaart ones from on-one. The 2x 1/2 w one is reasonably bright, but has a flimsy bracket. The 1x 1/2 w one with the extra leds under is less bright, but has a better bracket.

stretchtoo
    Free Member

RSP Astrum – I had an exposure enthusiast tell me he thought I had 2 flares side by side. They’re £10.

monkeyp

Niteflux redzone 4.

Bloody brilliant light

stretchtoo
    Free Member

Sorry, £11. But there’s a USB rechargeable version the RSP Radient for £12.

monkeyp

Oops, double post 🙂

jkomo

I got an on-one version of that RSP For a couple of quid. Went out on a road night ride, that was the only light still going strong of the four, the other 3 were all expensive. The only thing I don’t like, is the cheap bolt-on clamp.

gonzy
    Free Member

i got 2 of these from the new Netto store thats opened up near me….a bargain at £4 each and very bright too

Clong
    Free Member

Hope district is very bright and its going to last for sure. Expensive and not exactly light, arguably overbuilt and its not easy to swap between bikes but may well be the last rear light ill buy.The moon shield 60 are good too.

stumpy01

I’ve got one of the wide cateye lights that must be getting on for 5+ yrs old now. It’s still bright enough and works well. I use that on non-flashing with a Smart Lunar R2 on flashing mode.

With rear lights, I’d always want at least two in case one packs up mid ride and you are unaware.

Speshpaul

The Lezyne Zecto drives are very good indeed
    +1

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve been using two Cateye TL-LD1100’s for 7 years and never had any issues with either of them. One on my seatpost and one on my seatpack or rucksack.

Nothing else has lasted as well or performed as well as those lights

simon_g

I like the Lezyne Zecto too.

Only (small) criticism is that the micro-USB socket is recessed a bit and needs quite a long connector on the cable to charge successfully. The one it came with is fine but the random cable you might find in the office when you’re low either needs carefully holding in place or doesn’t work at all.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I like the Lezyne Zecto too.

Is the Zecto flash only? I can’t quite tell from the manual. Also how come the 20 lumen mode is claimed to last twice as long as the 10 lumen mode?

Much love for the Exposure Red Eye? I’m tempted by one I can just plug into my front light and don’t need to worry about charging.

Klunk
    Free Member

two constant modes with the zecto, very nice light was on offer at crc… oops sold out now

lunge

I too am of the “more the better” view with rear lights. Current selection on the road bike is:
    Moon Comet – Mounted at the bottle of the seat post, flashing
    On-One Phaart – Mounted further up the seat post, constant
    Lezyne Femto – Mounted on my saddle bag, flashing
    Cheap Aldi LED – Mounted on my helmet, flashing

tomd
    Free Member

Got one a set of the lezyne zecto drive things. They’re are good performance wise, but battery life isn’t great e.g. they wouldn’t last a long road ride. Use them for daily commuting.

Also got a moon commet. Amazingly bright and visible but very poor battery life, won’t last half of a good road ride.

I also have one of the Planet X Phaart rear lights, all £4 of it. It’s really bright and batter life is good. Best value / performance light I’ve used.

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

Slightly different solution that is proving to be very excellent indeed

Veglo X4

Other retailers available – that’s the only I can get to display at work (pah websense, pah!)

advantages – side visibility, lets drivers judge your size better
    Disadvantages – not especially cheap, kinda bulky compared to a dinky Flare/TraceR

TM

simon_g

I think the brighter Zecto modes are in flash only. It has a few different patterns, can have all flashing, one constant while two flash alternately or all three cycling on and off.

I use it on the brief flash mode for daytime road rides, last ages like that.

I do have an Exposure Red Eye on the way though for commuting, I’ll probably still use the Zecto in flash mode on my bag.

nemesis
    Free Member

Don’t think it’s been mentioned yet but the Smart Lunar R2 is great – cheap (£10), really bright and the batteries last ages. I’ve had mine for about three years now and it’s still working perfectly.

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/smart-lunar-r2-2-x-1-2-watt-rear-light-id64035.html?gclid=CjwKEAiAlb6lBRCBw4jC-bb3uykSJAB55Ti9TJttKItx02OEJQH_SlGFf2zS0j4L27h052gUz3XwDxoCweTw_wcB

mrblobby
    Free Member

Smart Lunar R2

Yes do like mine too. Want to pair it with a Red Eye under the saddle.

nemesis
    Free Member

Things is I reckon the Smart is bright enough that if people aren’t noticing you with that (especially the random mode which I think is great for getting drivers’ attention – works on me when I’m driving) then an even brighter light probably isn’t going to change that.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Smart is definitely bright enough. Though having had a light fail on me a while back and not noticing till the ride was over I always double up now.

Any good lights out there with a low/dim constant setting for night time group rides? Most decent ones are too bright and I usually swap for something lower power.

nemesis
    Free Member

Yeah, possibly sensible.

In the past, I’ve used a backupz or similar for during rides with other people as it’s enough to be seen on short road sections but not bright enough to blind riders behind.

tomd
    Free Member

I think the brighter Zecto modes are in flash only. It has a few different patterns, can have all flashing, one constant while two flash alternately or all three cycling on and off.

I use it on the brief flash mode for daytime road rides, last ages like that.

The bright “pulse” flash lasts <5hrs on mine. It is super bright and very effective for dull daytime rides. Great commuting light but I just wish the battery could manage 8hrs and it would be perfect (so I don’t need to charge it mid week for commutes also).

mrblobby
    Free Member

but not bright enough to blind riders behind.

Looks a good bet. I was using a Fizik Blink for this but moving away from Fizik saddles.

z1ppy

MTB Batteries is now stocking a very similar light to the Lezyne zecto for £16 (not on the website just yet.. posted on FB), Mark doesn’t sell rubbish, so may well be worth looking at.

Have to mentioned my m8’s Knog Blinder v4, as being a complete thug of a rear light, I couldn’t ride directly behind him with it on full… really it was horrible!

stumpy01

nemesis – Member

Don’t think it’s been mentioned yet but the Smart Lunar R2 is great

ahem…..

stumpy01 – Member

I’ve got one of the wide cateye lights that must be getting on for 5+ yrs old now. It’s still bright enough and works well. I use that on non-flashing with a Smart Lunar R2 on flashing mode.

😀
    😉

It is a great light!

nemesis
    Free Member

😳

monkeyp

A guy at work has one of those Veglo lights. I like the idea, but it really wasn’t as good as I was expecting. It really didn’t seem very bright or eye catching. Just got lost in the background lights

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Rear light options’ is closed to new replies.