Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • Rear LED lights
  • t_i_m
    Free Member

Just picked up a Smart Lunar 1/2 watt from Halfords for 6 or 7 quid. They're selling off the stock prior to the 1 Watt version coming in.
    (much cheaper than the £17 that Evans want!)
    Seems plenty bright enough and good value.

scaredypants

I commute in the car and look carefully for bikers (as some of the roads I drive on are **** awful for bikers' safety IMO). Here's the "opposition's" story: (slightly exaggerated for illustration but honestly how I feel)

I really don't think brighter is better on the roads

To me, flashing lights give very little idea of where you are in distance terms (obviously they're OK directionally and great for actually being noticed), especially in built-up areas with lots of other point sources to distract & reflect off wet roads etc. The brighter they are, the more marked this is (you seem really close even when you're way off so we can't tell when you're actually close)

Similarly bright, small-lensed front lights. They are as bad, even worse – tend to look like a distant motorbike quite often and can also be pretty dazzling (leads to "me" not looking in your actual direction, more off to one side)

If I was commuting on a bike in the dark I'd have bright lights, but shining on to me rather than outwards so that I'm brightly visible as a cyclist rather than a point source of light. Then a moderate, well-shielded light at the front to light up the road but not dazzle and 2 or 3 moderate flashing reds at the back

SMIDSY isn't the problem – it's recognition that matters IMO

pdw
    Free Member

Anyone know if the vis 180 has holes that would allow it be mounted with cable ties? I'm not a big fan of those rubber strips.

mtb_matt
    Free Member

I actually think you're safer at night precisely because the motorist can perhaps only see your rear light. As a result they tend to slow down first because they're not sure what your are. Secondly because its difficult to judge light distances they tend to give you a wider berth. That's my experience anyway.

BTW Smart 1W here

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Smart_Lunar_R1_Rear_Light/5360053638/

Cheers

Matt

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Been using a Cateye LD610 (or something like that) for a while – contacts got damp once but I cleaned them and all was fine.

Very bright and pretty cheap. If you ride in minging weather a lot (I do) it's worth taping over the battery compartment and the "split" between lens and main unit.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Cateye_TL-LD610_LED_Rear_Light/5360031618/

pabsw1982
    Free Member

yeah I agree with mtb_matt. I don't go out of my way to dazzle motorists but at the end of the day we're talking about battery powered LED's not car rear brake lights, etc. when I drive I can stuggle to judge distance at night esp in rain etc when a car tail light comes on, so it's the same for cyclists too.

so I think it's a good thing that the motorist thinks you are closer than you are. wouldn't work the other way around!

I put scotchlite stickers everywhere as well so when the motorist comes closer they start getting the passive reflection stuff too.

pdw
    Free Member

I can remember one occasion when I nearly didn't see a cyclist before pulling out of a side road. Dark, wet evening, and they had one of those cheap green LED front lights, and they were almost completely invisible thanks to the headlights of a bus some way behind them.

There's no need to try and dazzle drivers, but if you want to be seen you need lights that are at least comparable to those of other vehicles.

scaredypants

(I keep answering to this after it's died off – it's because I care, honest !)

I actually think you're safer at night precisely because the motorist can perhaps only see your rear light. As a result they tend to slow down first because they're not sure what your are. Secondly because its difficult to judge light distances they tend to give you a wider berth. That's my experience anyway.

Can't count the times I've seen drivers head straight at the back of a bike, only braking & swerving out just before contact (plenty this autumn, already). The late braking tells me that they didn't know what the bike was but they ain't being extra careful.

Unless you ride on country roads, with no other light sources I think it's a fallacy that more output is better. I can see a standard rear light from 100yds away already (esp if it's flashing) and brightness doesn't help identification – arguably you "lose" more detail around a really bright light.

good thing that the motorist thinks you are closer than you are. wouldn't work the other way around!

trust me, they mostly have NO idea where you are, regardless of how many watts you're running

There's no need to try and dazzle drivers, but if you want to be seen you need lights that are at least comparable to those of other vehicles

but you probably do dazle drivers – never had a night riding mate turn round to see where you are when they have their lights on? People on here sometimes even complain about them being too bright when they're riding behind you !

nosemineb
    Free Member

Any more user reviews on the l+m vis 180?
    Do you still think it was worth the money?

Mister-P
    Free Member

The 180 is well worth the money IMHO, especially if you shop around.

nosemineb
    Free Member

Where are you looking? Wiggle is 87 with my discount i think.

Trekster

Can’t count the times I’ve seen drivers head straight at the back of a bike, only braking & swerving out just before contact (plenty this autumn, already). The late braking tells me that they didn’t know what the bike was but they ain’t being extra careful.

Think that is just the poor driving standars that abound these days 🙄

I have 3 rear lights(all cheapos) 1 in/on helmet, 1 on bag and 1 on bike + some reflective stuff and generally find cars give me plenty of room from the rear with the odd exception as per above. Not worried too much about front light, just try not to put myself in a position where drivers cannot see me and ride appropriately for the road/traffic conditions. 30 odd yrs commuting through town with very few incidents.

ourmaninthenorth

Any Lumicycle users tried their matching rear light?

Half my commute is unlit country roads, and so I’ll be using my Lumi LED3 up front. Figured it might be useful to add the Lumi tail light via the second battery lead.

mefty
    Free Member

OMITN – I have an old (4 yrs)one (don’t know whether it has been upgraded in the interim) – wouldn’t recommend for the price as it does not seem that bright, does not flash and the bracket is not adjustable so it points slightly down when attached to a seatpost unless you bend it. However it is always there so if I forget my main rear light I have some protection.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Anyone know if the vis 180 has holes that would allow it be mounted with cable ties?

You could probably bodge it up to use cable ties, but the rubber strap is pretty secure and the light unclips leaving the bracket attached to the seatpost, meaning that you’re not constantly doing and undoing the rubber strap.

ourmaninthenorth

mefty – fine. Happy to direct my money elsewhere. Cheers!

Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Rear LED lights’ is closed to new replies.