Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Rear end shunt
  • jaminb
    Free Member

I have been hit twice from behind in the last week whilst cycling in London, both by other cyclists.

First stopping for a red light – second at a mini roundabout. My bike and me unscathed other than pannier unclipping in both incidents.The first cyclist rode off so when I caught him up he got a shouting out, second cyclist not so lucky suspected broken ankle.

Is this a common accident ? Any preventative measures? I only have canti brakes but did tighten the front one up the other day!

tjagain

Its one reason I refuse to let other cyclists follow closely behind me

ctk
    Free Member

Its not your brakes its the other peoples. I cant think of preventative measures other than a big rear facing spike or shouting “braking”

Rorschach
    Free Member

whilst cycling in London……….stopping for a red light

I can see the issue there!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Good way to meet girls

letmetalktomark

Any preventative measures?

Bigger pannier bags?

zilog6128

A mate following me did a proper faceplant once when I decided late actually it would be a good idea to stop at a roundabout! If you’re gonna ride right up someone’s chuff that kind of thing is gonna happen, same as if you’re tailgating in a car.

frogstomp

Any preventative measures?

Rear light with brake facility?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Happened to me twice in London too!

It’s because everyones staring at their stems trying to smash out a Strava segment.

First was at a pedestrian crossing. The guy just said “i thought you were going to go through the light!” as if it was my fault.

The second time was on Embankment in London and a car was turning left up ahead, so i slowed down really gradually, put my hand out to warn people, but someone about 3 cyclists back was too busy racing, fell into the main carriageway and a bus swerved to avoid him. He got up laughing.

I now tell people not to draft me too. Some people get in a right huff, and respond with a “it’s called drafting mate” or something then cycle off really fast. WTF

DezB
    Free Member

second cyclist not so lucky suspected broken ankle

Did you attack him?? 😯

beer247
    Free Member

Years ago when mountainbiking was more about jumping down stairs and riding “street” i pulled an endo (Google image endo mtb if you don’t know what that is….) in front of my BMX riding pal who was following close behind.

Unfortunately i had some rather vicious chain tensioners on my bike at the time with sharp threaded bolts and as i landed, one went straight through his front tyre resulting in a spectacular OTB.

He was not happy.

Maybe you should get some.

jaminb
    Free Member

Her – at first I wanted to but quickly I felt sorry for her sprawled our on the road with morning commuters driving past. I even lent her my pannier with a freshly dry cleaned suit in it to rest her foot on until her partner arrived at the scene.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Hand signal for stopping. Though how many London cyclists would understand it, or even be paying attention?

or this but only the lycra guys would know what you mean

ads678

I thought the hand on the back meant going round an obstacle i.e. parked car. Or is that an open hand?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Hand with “the finger” I think.

https://www.sigmasport.co.uk/hub/guides/cycling-hand-signals

or slowing you can flap about 😀

njee20
    Free Member

Hand signal for stopping. Though how many London cyclists would understand it, or even be paying attention?

Virtually all serious ones, see it a lot. The problem I often have is that if I get cut up and have to slam on the brakes I don’t really want to take one hand off the bars.

I’ve had it twice too, both people have been very apologetic, one went down, one got away with it. Would sooner not be drafted by randomers, but meh, it’s part and parcel of riding on busy routes in London. CBA to ask people not to, just ride faster/bunny hop potholes at the last second.

jaminb
    Free Member

How are you supposed to pull the brake lever whilst gesturing?

jimdubleyou

Superhuman anticipation skills.

It can be a bit of a pita having people draft you, so I just slow down a bit so they feel obliged to overtake then I can have a tow… 😈

njee20
    Free Member

Easy enough if you’ve seen the hazard a while in advance, trouble is that it would be most useful when panic braking, which is when it’s hardest to signal.

Gary_M
    Free Member

both people have been very apologetic, one went down

Happy ending then 🙂

Also one of the reasons why I’m not keen on people drafting through town, I’d rather have my own space when there’s lots of traffic about.

neilwheel
    Free Member

I cut back the mudguard on my commuter, to just below the first stay bracket, I still have a dry arse, but spray keeps numpty drafters away in the wet.

jaminb
    Free Member

All, just to let you i made it home and although a bit nervous my behind remaind untouched

tjagain

those hand signals – are they american? ‘cos they are nothing like the ones I learned to take my motorcycle test on a bike with no indicators

vincienup
    Free Member

I believe those are US hand signals in the drawing. They certainly aren’t any I’ve been taught in the UK.

First was at a pedestrian crossing. The guy just said “i thought you were going to go through the light!” as if it w

I actually had a doubledecker bus in Sheffield shove my car into a roundabout once when I was stopped at a red light and offer that as an excuse.

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

I hate tailgaters. I can’t stick people following me a bikes length back on the trails either. If I bin it then they’ll hit me, it’s happened.

I believe those are US hand signals in the drawing. They certainly aren’t any I’ve been taught in the UK.

Yeah, most British people manage to muster the energy to type the extra few letters needed to spell “alternative”. That funny word that Americans substitute for “alternate”, which means something quite different.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Rear end shunt’ is closed to new replies.