Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Rear brake sounds like a choo choo train and barely stops the bike
  • cookci
    Free Member

Hi,

Im at the end of my tether with the rear brake on my giant x1

Basically for a year after buying the bike the rear brakes worked just fine but suddenly in the middle of a ride it started making an awful noise and lost all power.

When i got home i pulled the pads and there was nothing left on them so i purchased some clarks pads from halfrauds and went out the next day… the brake didnt work correctly still… all noise no power

Since then i have tried, all of which have made no difference:

-another set of pads (shimano ones)
    -roughing up the pads and disk
    -degreasing the brakes
    -bleeding the brake line
    -new disk (shimano)

After all this there is no improvement!!

Randomly on some rides it starts to function correctly for short periods however im talking only minutes

Has anyone any more suggestions what it might be?
    Thanks
    Christian

scaredypants

Dunno, but I’d be chuffing cross if that was my bike

philjunior
    Free Member

Clean the disc with IPA, sand disc to roughen it up, put new pads in.

It could be leaky seals contaminating the pads, although I’d expect squealing not chuffing.

Get some speed up to try and bed the pads in, contrary to some people’s opinion this won’t magically transform your pads from cheese that wears out in 5 minutes to the hardest material not even discovered by man yet which will last forever, however it will get the power up after a few stops (hopefully). You need to get a bit of heat in, so go up to 20mph or so, but it doesn’t need to be red/smoky hot.

angeldust
    Free Member

You have covered the likely causes. I’ve had an issue with Shimano brakes in the past when they were stored for quite a few months without use. The seals can dry out and degrade causing a very slow leak of brake fluid, that constantly contaminates your pads and discs. It is minor enough to be scrubbed off during a ride or by cleaning discs/pads, but the contamination will always come back eventually. Symptoms are as you describe. Solution is a new caliper (new brake basically if Shimano). AFAIK Shimano do not supply user replacement seals. Good job they are so cheap, and otherwise very reliable.

simon1975

Alignment?

timidwheeler

I would suggest the alignment is out slightly. Possibly it has slipped fractionally while you were riding. How tight are the bolts?

woody2000

Leaking caliper, I’ve just had the same. Replaced caliper, all good now

cookci
    Free Member

Cheers angel and woody… im almost certain you are both correct.

Thanks a million and i think you will have save what little hair i have left. My last maybe 10 rides have been ruined by this so im looking forward to enjoying things again

Are the calipers pretty universal? I was looking at the xt 785?

The current caliper is low spec shimano… i can post a picture or the model if that helps

coatesy
    Free Member

You’ll probably find the 785 has a different (banjo type) fitting to yours, so unless you swap hoses, it’s a non starter. Personal (3 calipers in a 2 yr period), and shop experience say that the cheaper Deore and Alivio calipers seem far more reliable.

cookci
    Free Member

Thanks.
    Ok now im considering buying the full system with lever and hoses

Can i use the slx which are pictured with a centre lock disk? My disks use 6 bolts

Cheers
    Christian

coatesy
    Free Member

The full system generally comes without discs and mounts unless specified, but your old ones will work fine, just be sure you thoroughly degrease them first, and a scuffing with 180 grit wet-or-dry will provide a good key for the new pads to bed in to.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The current caliper is low spec shimano… i can post a picture or the model if that helps

A new calliper won’t be much more than the price of a set of pads and will also come with new pads. They’re easily available, and easy to change. . Pop a picture up and I’ll see if I can find you the part number. 🙂

cookci
    Free Member

decided to go with one of these as TBH my levers have seen better days anyway

“Shimano XT M785 Hydraulic Disc Brake – Ispec B Compatible”

https://www.evanscycles.com/shimano-xt-m785-hydraulic-disc-brake-ispec-b-compatible-EV191867

If it doesn’t work I can always return it

slowoldman

Clean the disc with IPA

Any old rubbish like Greene King or a decent one like Jaipur?

colin9

Rumour has it that the sintered pads are less prone to contamination through this slight leakage than resin. Less absorbent or something.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Rear brake sounds like a choo choo train and barely stops the bike’ is closed to new replies.