Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • REALLY stuck cranks
  • atlaz
    Free Member

Trying to finish up my SS commuting/pub hack and as I ruined the threads getting the old pedals off I got some new cranks (cheapo Campagnolo). Problem is I can’t get the old ones off. The bolts came undone without any problem and I’ve tried spraying the usual crap onto them and heating with a blow lamp but I guess 22 years of crap hasn’t really helped them much.

Any ideas?

Onzadog
    Free Member

could try riding it around a while without bolts. They’ll eventually work their way off then. Failing that, try and angle grinder.

atlaz
    Free Member

Problem is I can’t get pedals onto the cranks, hence the new ones 🙂

TheChunk
    Free Member

Hang on, you are using a crank puller yes? Not trying to man handle them off?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Get the extractor on them and wound up as tight as you dare. Heat the crank arm and then re tighten the extractor then using two hammers hit each side of the crank simultaneously where the axle goes thru – the idea is to make the arm ring like a bell – the shockwave should drive it off

ziggy
    Free Member

Or get a ball joint remover and smack it with a hammer, never fails to remove stubborn arms.

rOcKeTdOg

if they are shagged, saw a cut in them and use a screwdriver to open the cut, worked for me on some old stx cranks that had not thread for the puller to work on

olaf_hansen
    Free Member

this is how I got mine off …. 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

you threw it down the stairs?

Ambrose

Or get a helicoil put into the pedal spindle hole to make it re-useable.

jackthedog
    Free Member

That pic above is like a bike specific version of Doom.

cynic-al
    Free Member

cutters & pullers (by stein) exist to cut a new thread

flipiddy
    Free Member

pmsl@rocketdog & jtd XD

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘REALLY stuck cranks’ is closed to new replies.