Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Really Sorry, but another tyre dileama thread!
  • Chadders
    Free Member

Its about time to change my tyres on my 140/150mm trail bike.

I have been running Schwalbe Rocket Ron Evo 2.25’s and believe it or not, I’ve never had a puncture with them, even though I often ride quite hard on fairly rocky trails (i know, struggling to believe it myself)

Despite this, I do want to go for some tyres that I will feel more confident with, in terms of puncture resistence and grip. without adding loads of weight. I do like having light wheels/tyres.

So, I ride some long rides, but also on rocky trails and fairly hard. But I still want something not too heavy and draggy on the way up.

Pref 600grams each, not much more.

Thinking Continental rubber queen 2.2’s might do the trick? but a bit heavier than I wanted. (bare in mind current tyresare like 465gr or summot daft like that) What about mountain kings? 2.2sa bit small?

thanks for any help

Chadders
    Free Member

❓ 🙁

crikey
    Free Member

I’ve never had a puncture with them……I do want to go for some tyres that I will feel more confident with, in terms of puncture resistence

Can I be the first to say you sound a bit simple?

mactheknife

Have a look at my Bontrager XR4 thread.

Ace all rounders. 🙂 🙂

Chadders
    Free Member

Crikey, cheers for pointing that out. I just cant believe I havn’t punctured yet, they are not exactly the stiffest tyres.

mactheknife, cheers will check it out

greenhelmet
    Free Member

im running mountain king 2 protctions at the mo and they have been a great tyre they clear mud fast grip exellently and filled me with confidence from the first ride but foe some reason the rubber on the side wall has worn a bit and the thread from the carcass is coming through abit!! my bike shop says thats normal for contis??

raisinhat
    Free Member

If you really want light weight, then you should probably stick to schwalbe, maybe a fat albert? It’s around 600 I think, or possibly a nobby nic, though personally I never got on with nobby nics. You are asking the impossible though, no tyre is going to be tough, grippy and still light.

greenhelmet
    Free Member

im looking to change my rear tyre and im looking at the ontinental x-king 2.2 race sport which weighs in at around 505g which should be great for the dry? summer its also ment to go great with the mountain king 2 up front.

muggomagic

I was looking at the new onza tyres in Evans today. The Ibex looks a bit like a cross between a nevegal and a high roller.

widge34
    Free Member

Conti MK IIs black chilli protection here. 2.2 rear, 2.4 front. Been great tyres so far.

chiefgrooveguru

Something to consider: 29ers roll better despite having heavier tyres. Bigger tyres weigh more but their larger volume will mean you roll better. So does rotational weight matter as much as everyone seems to think?

I’m running XR4 2.2 (older version) and considering replacing them towards the end of summer (they last AGES!) The top choices are currently the new Bontrager XR4 2.2 TLR or the Rubber Queen 2.2 UST Black Chili. The lack of a proper non-UST tubeless ready Rubber Queen is annoying.

I’d rather ride a long-forked hardtail with big grippy confidence inspiring tyres than a 140+ full-sus with quicker lighter tyres – in fact that’s what I do! But it would seem a waste of downhill and cornering ability on a 140+ full-sus not to have some meaty tyres…

Chadders
    Free Member

Yeah, re schwalbe.. They now do nobby nics in a 2.35 size now by the sounds of things.

These would be very slightly bigger than my rocket rons, with a stiffer sidewall and although they are heavier, they are still a light tyre.

so I think these are the most likely at the moment.

not supposed to put over 2.25’s on my pro-lite allein wheels, but Im sure 2.35’s cant hurt?

cheers for replies!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Really Sorry, but another tyre dileama thread!’ is closed to new replies.