Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Really disappointing movie franchises
  • johndoh
    Free Member

I miss good war films.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I remember watching the trailer for Batman v Superman, and wondered who on earth would go and watch such ridiculously contrived nonsense

I did. And it was. Although not quite as terrible as Battleship (which ironically could have made a good war film).

P-Jay
    Free Member

johndoh – Member

I miss good war films.

Dunkirk looks like it might be good.

There’s another one coming soon about a WW2 US Army Medic who was a conscientious objector who refused to take or handle any sort of weapon and saved lots of lives, but it ‘based on a true story’ and it’s being made by Mel Gibson, so…

holst
    Free Member

Police Academy 7 was far below the standard of the original, I think I might even skip Police Academy 8.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Electric Blue 1-15. Terrible 😈
    Hobbit was bad, LOTR was great but not a patch on the animated version. (2nd part was never released which was a shame)
    Fast and Furious.1st was just a copy of Point Break the rest were better left alone.

johndoh
    Free Member

but it ‘based on a true story’ and it’s being made by Mel Gibson, so…

He’ll blame the English?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

The Hobbit. Completely and utterly ballsed by Jackson. It’s awful from the get go. The Hobbit so thoroughly rubs out whatever plus points Jackson accrued from LOTR that I never ever want to see any more of his films ever again, thank you. And King Kong was tosh.

Anything Marvel. And DC. They must be stopped. I don’t know when it all started to go wrong, but wrong it has gone. Probably the last superhero film(s) I thought was good was the Nolan/Bale Batman(s). And I did watch Deadpool. It was OK. Ish. Sort of.

I can’t include Bond, as various installments have been good. Some have been awful.

Bourne, three good films. Should have quit while they were ahead. I just watched the Jeremy Renner film. Please, stop now.

Star Wars prequels.

Fast and Furious. One good film.

Aliens. Got two good ones in before the crap arrived.
    Predator. #1 is a classic.
    AVP. No, stop it now.

The Jurassic Park-o-saurus. #1 good, #2 passable.

Rambo. #1 brilliant, all else terrible.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Does the God awful HHGTG film count? What a horrible travesty of a film

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 The Hobbit was an utter pile of burning turds.

PrinceJohn

Does the God awful HHGTG film count? What a horrible travesty of a film

No – not a franchise. Even tho it was pretty atrocious.

I miss films about gangsters or thrillers about serial killers. I wish they’ve make some like that.

They still do this was just released lsat week.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQoqsKoJVDw[/video]

RobHilton
    Free Member

How I came to bother watching Scary Movie 3 is something of a mystery to me having sat through the everso weak 1 & 2, but it was far superior!

I’m not saying it was good, but it was a considerable improvement, which is unusual as sequels are generally worse.

squirrelking
    Free Member

The ABC robot was never part of the Dredd universe

Well aware of that, maybe he had been retrieved and copied afer a dimension jump?

And seriously, THAT is what you pick on? At least they managed to get SOMETHING correct, even if it was from a different universe.

funkmasterp

Weekend at Bernie’s first one is great, second one meh! The Hunger Games, like a mix of Battle Royale and the Running Man, but without the grit of the former or the amazing eightiesness (not even a word) of the latter. They should have got Randy Savage instead of Donald Sutherland. 😀

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Hobbit was awful
    Stallone Dredd requires mind and eye bleach.
    The newer Dredd was brilliant considering the woeful budget.
    Star Wars prequels should be stricken from history along with the abomination that was the last one.
    Any ST movie other than The Motion Picture, Wrath of Khan and First Contact were hideous, don’t get me started on the last 3.
    Michael Bay is one of my 7(strapped into a people carrier and hand pushed off Beachy Head, at low tide so any survivors drown as the tide comes in) in fact he’s in the drivers seat……for the raping of the Transformers Franchise. I’d cheerfully boil him in concentated alkali.

Fantombiker

James Bond. Am I the only one who thinks they are formulaic turgid and totally boring? Deadpool however was excellent.

Daffy

I don’t think the Hobbit was awful, it was just too long. In Bilbo’s own words “like butter spread over too much bread”.

I think the cast was great (with the exception of Stephen Fry of whom I’m normally a fan), the music was good, the visuals were superb and Smaug was perfect.

BUT, It could’ve been done in one long (3:45), or two short films (2:00) It should never have been 3.

OP – The Hunger Games – The films carried little of the horror portrayed by the books.

His Dark Materials – Promising cast, but utterly ruined.

X-Men – Whilst mostly watchable, they’re extremely poor when compared to the cartoons of the 80s/90s.

Superman – They’re really struggling with this…

PrinceJohn

The amazing Spiderman, not a patch on the first 2 from Sam raimi.

Oh, can’t remember who it was whining about civil war, for not having a world saving end, I quite liked the lack of a world destruction. There’s only so many times I can watch the world in peril. It was quite nice to watch high stakes between characters.

igm

There’s another one coming soon about a WW2 US Army Medic who was a conscientious objector who refused to take or handle any sort of weapon and saved lots of lives…

I think you described my grandfather – except he was Scots. Blinking Hollywood commandeering history, they’ll be claiming they got hold of that enigma machine next…

Beagleboy

Well aware of that, maybe he had been retrieved and copied afer a dimension jump?

And seriously, THAT is what you pick on? At least they managed to get SOMETHING correct, even if it was from a different universe.

I’m really sorry, I’m not a geek honestly, but Judge Dredd came up against nasty war robots at least a couple of times. In the Cursed Earth saga, I seem to remember some of them were robot vampire nurses draining people’s blood to keep the last president of the USA alive. But I’m pretty sure there were other military robots. Also, ever hear of, or seen a movie called ‘Hardware’? It’s ripped off from a John Mills ‘Tharg’s Future Shocks’ story that was set in Mega City One and sees a war robot almost identical to the the one in the Stallone movie being bought as scrap for an artist and then accidentally being reactivated. Great wee movie….even has Lemmy in it!

I’m confused by everyone’s negative attitude to the ‘Dark Materials’ thing though? Is there a movie other than the Golden Compass that I haven’t seen? All I can see are plans for a BBC series to be shown next year. How can that be ruined already?

I actually don’t mind most of the franchise…super hero, comedy or action stuff.As long as it’s a bit silly, I’m happy. Like someone has already mentioned, I slap a DVD in the slot to switch my mind off for a couple of hours, so the more ludicrously distracting the nonsense in front of me is, the better.

jimjam
    Free Member

squirrelking

And seriously, THAT is what you pick on? At least they managed to get SOMETHING correct, even if it was from a different universe. [/quote]

It’s not even remotely correct. It’s just a robot that looks like an ABC Warrior. But if you’re going to credit the film for getting something visually or stylistically correct then there’s tons of stuff in there that was brilliantly executed and very much in keeping with the comic aesthetic of that era.

In terms of overall look and production design they got far more right than wrong, which just makes the final product all the more disappointing.

Also, ever hear of, or seen a movie called ‘Hardware’?

Yes.

sees a war robot almost identical to the the one in the Stallone movie

Nope not even similar. But fun trivia, Chris Cunningham built the robot for “Hardware” and scuplted the maquette that the Judge Dredd ABC robot is based on (after Kevin Walker/Simon Bisley).

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Hobbit was bad, LOTR was great but not a patch on the animated version. (2nd part was never released which was a shame)

I’d forgotten about that – the animated version was great. I’d argue about it being better, but it was certainly very good and a shame it was never completed.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Really disappointing movie franchises’ is closed to new replies.