Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • reality check…new car in a few months…suggestions please
  • DickBarton

Hi,

I’m thinking of a new to me car in the next 6 months and need some advice.

Current car is a fiat bravo sport 1.4 turbo. It is nice but it is expensive to run due to my usage.

I do an 8 mile commute each way week days and about 80 miles rest of the week at the most. Due to short journeys it is expensive to fuel and fax plus the sport badge has expensive tyres and toad tax.

Car carries me, me plus daughter or on occasion me, wife and daughter. Or me and bike of 2 people and 2 bikes.

I’m looking for a cheap to run car – decent mpg for short journeys, cheap spares I.e not rubber band tyres, low road tax, 120 a year. Comfort but not high performance. I’m all for practical but it necessary to be cheap to run/own.

Bravo has been excellent but it isn’t getting the use it should so I’m now seeing it as a drain rather than the nice car it is to drive.

Happy to put bikes on roof, but I think I Ned a more suitable car for my journeys. I do go places but not often, biggest mileage journey lately is about 50 miles.

Not too bothered about age but ideally servicing costs also low. I see a car as a tool so cheaper to run the better.

Ta.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

That’ll be a Skoda, then.

tonyg2003

If your car is working fine the cheapest thing is to keep it. The extra money you spend will all be lost in depreciation. I’m sorry but your explanation of not wanting to spend money doesn’t make sense otherwise. Unless of course you just want another car and you are trying to justify it to yourself 😀 – perfectly fine reason to me!

DickBarton

Makes sense to me…monthly fuel is about 180, tyres about 100 a corner but only every 2 years. Road tax 180. For the usage it just seems very high…so I want something cheaper. Suspect a budget of up to 8k will be the limit so I’m still seeing next car as cheaper as any repayments should be lower than current outlay.

Existing car does all I need apart from the cheap to run. I know this is down to the short journeys but also reckon there is a more suitable car for it…I just don’t know what.

DickBarton

Not an Ovtavia? Would like one but too costly…

rkk01
    Free Member

Have you tried driving it differently?

Probably the same engine as my wife has in her Punto (1.4T 120bhp??).

mrsrkk01 gets about 35mpg – because it’s a lot of fun to rag. I’ll get 42+ easily…

tonyg2003

Ok so you spend £8k (not sure what your trade in is hence the balance) to save maybe £500-750/pa max (v.low tax, fuel efficient city car) on a newer car that will depreciate £1-1.5K pa, plus paying the interest on your £8K. right…..

DickBarton

150 bhp version. It’s the very short journeys that are killing it.it largely does 8 miles twice a day. The use it gets I’m finding 180 a month on juice a serious outlay purely due to short trips. Can’t ride in as I collect daughter after work.

I’m thinking, but have no personal experience, that a smaller car, smaller engine is going to be more cost effective for the journeys it does.

In 2 years I’ll get rid of the car as daughter will be at school full time so I won’t need my own transport…

zigzag69
    Free Member

Pay off remaining finance on Fiat. Sell Fiat privately (don’t trade in). Bangernomics for 2 years?

dooosuk
    Free Member

I’m with tonyg. Have you definitely done all the sums and calculated that you will be better off.

Over a two year period (which you’ve just mentioned) I can’t see it being cost effective for you.

Highland28
    Free Member

Or get a commuter bike to do the 8 miles a day and then just use the car at the weekend

DickBarton

Actually keeping for the next 2 years then get rid is probably the most sensible thing to do…thanks for the chat.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘reality check…new car in a few months…suggestions please’ is closed to new replies.