• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Cferg.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Real life mpg for Ford 1.0 125ps engine
  • iolo
    Free Member

Could someone here please tell me what mpg they actually get for the ford 1.0 125 ps engine?
    It’s in a B max my father in law is looking at.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Look on HonestJohn, they have a real life mpg section.

milky1980
    Free Member

Had a Fiesta hire car with that engine in it. Returned 60 mpg driving smoothly but it dropped considerably down to mid 20’s if you tried to make any swift progress. Can imagine the B Max would get worse figures being bigger and heavier.

iolo
    Free Member

Was it responsive? What was acceleration like?

maccruiskeen

The problem with these new generations of little turbo charged engines is the economy is something you only get if you drive really, really gently. The idea is a tiny engine with a big turbo so you get low consumption but power when you ‘need’ it. As soon as the revs increase and that big turbo gets working they munch through fuel much quicker than a larger engine would. So a high MPG is achievable on paper but for real world ‘just driving around’ a bigger engine will actually use less fuel.

scotty13
    Free Member

I’ve got a c-max which I’ve had for a few months getting around 37mpg. Most driving is done around town. Agree with Mac got to keep the revs down, been told to keep under 1500 which is when the turbo kicks in.

allthepies
    Free Member

Ecoboost 1.0 turbo 125hp?

Mine has only 1500 on the clock and is showing about 41mpg. Mostly urban driving.
    I am light on the pedals.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

My parents (in 70’s) have a Focus 1.0 125 they get 35 ish town driving and low 40’s motorway.

As above partly their driving ie over revving so turbo kicks in, but hard not to, they don’t drive quick either. Hilly where they live too which doesn’t help.

It is quite nippy, however use that nippy ness and mpg just doesn’t exist.

However I have a 2.0 diesel which never does less than 50mpg and does 65+mpg on the motorway

milky1980
    Free Member

Turbo lag wasn’t bad on it but you had to plan overtakes by shifting down a gear to get it spinning ready to go. Off-turbo boost and it was a bit sluggish so you end up revving it reasonably hard from traffic lights etc to get a decent shove from it. This obviously hits the mpg!

For comparison I normally drive a Fabia 1.2 12v 69PS and I get 40-55mpg out of it easily. Not exactly a great engine but I prefer it for town driving and pootling along compared to the Fiesta.

rkk01
    Free Member

Is this their little 3cyl Ecoboost? If so I know someone with that unit in a focus – and he moans about the poor economy…

I’m very dubious about this small engine tech. Mrs rkk01 chopped in a 500 Abarth for a 500Fat with the 900cc twinair.
    The Abarth did more mpg 🙁

My own 2litre diesel does 55mpg under almost all conditions. Engine’s rarely stressed. Will churn out the torque with barely a Rev on the tacho

iolo
    Free Member

Yes. That’s the engine.

boblo
    Free Member

Those figures are shite. I’m old fashioned from the ‘there’s no substitute for cubes’ faction. That’s just proved it for me, you get better numbers from a 3l diesel.

Cferg
    Free Member

For what its worth I have the 1.0 100ps and get 48-50mpg without watching what I’m doing too much. Can’t comment on the 125 however.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Real life mpg for Ford 1.0 125ps engine’ is closed to new replies.