• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Marge.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Ready for riding Flanders this weekend?
  • Mister-P
    Free Member

Is everyone riding the Tour Of Flanders this weekend ready for it? I’ve swapped my cassette from an 11-25 to an 11-28, whipped the guards of and have some Maxxis Padrone tubeless tyres so I can hopefully run a bit softer to absorb some of the bumps. I’ve even got some new lycra to wear as the weather is looking fairly decent at the moment. Actual training for the hills hasn’t happened, but what’s the worst that could happen? Bring on the waffles 🙂

tthew

Nope. Went last weekend to watch the Harelbeke and Gent-Wevelgem. Rode the Cancellara Classic then onto Wevelgem for the finish of that race. The lack crazy of crowds, (both at the races and on the ride) were refreshing.

I just rode 42-16, fixed do-it-all bike. There’s only the Patterburg I didn’t manage to gurn up. Meli caramel waffles are still teh awesome.

TiRed

Actual training for the hills hasn’t happened

There aren’t any real hills. You’ll be fine. Would love to and a few club mates are going, but not for me this year. Such a lovely place to cycle.

prawny

It’s on my bucket list, when the kids are older I’ll definitely head over.

aP
    Free Member

Roubaix next weekend.

dovebiker

With the amount of riders on the course on Saturday, chance of getting a free-run up the Koppenberg and Paterberg are slim IME. Rode it a few times and keep meaning to go back….for the last 12 years, although have been back to Flanders since

Kryton57

I’d like to be but am not 🙁

sarpullido
    Free Member

First time for me. Doing the long distance on the cross single speed commuter. A bit worried about the traffic jams on the sharp climbs.
    16000 riders!!

Merak

I did it a few years ago when it was the traditional (real) route kappelmuir etc. Was a fantastic day, was lucky enough to make it a round with no dabs. The Belgianz do it on MTB’s WTAF? Kudos, they weren’t hanging about either.
    Atmosphere was worth it alone, recommend it to anyone.

tthew

Doing the long distance on the cross single speed commuter.

Hardcore! You’ll probably find you use the bell quite a lot for dinging people out of you way. You’ll have to be faster up the climbs, or you will grind to a halt. Never really been tempted by the full distance, apparently the first 100km from Bruges are pretty dull. But then I would say that, as I’ve never done the full one. 😀

atlaz
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother with modifying a bike for the Ronde, it’s not that sort of parcours. My mate mods his bike for Roubaix a bit but only after he gets back from the Ronde. I just take what is closest to fully functional at the time.A bloke does it each year on a dandyhorse

There aren’t any real hills.

Not entirely true but they’re not listed as hills on the official route map but there’s some crappy 3-4% grinders that catch you unawares. The bergs are usually steepish but shortish apart from the Kwaremont which isn’t difficult but the cobbles seem bloody endless.

first 100km from Bruges are pretty dull

Starts from Antwerp now so the dull km are 100 NEW dull km 😉

Marge
    Free Member

In a case of bizarrely unfortunate timing, I live nr Oudenaarde but have to come to the UK on Saturday. Tomorrow is usually a much nicer time to ride the course (with a reasonable turnout) but work obligations stop that plan also

I see no need for any special mods for the RvV – Paris-Roubaix on the other hand… Get the widest tyres that’ll fit

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Ready for riding Flanders this weekend?’ is closed to new replies.