Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Radical solutions to protect cyclists
  • pingu66
    Free Member

Some strange and interesting thoughts?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25043437

Compulsory high vis? Well ok lets apply that to cars as well! I am sorry but if your are unable to see me on a bright clear day you shouldn’t be driving.

For balance mandatory prosecution for motorists in accidents with cycles? What planet do some of these people live on.

Ladders
    Free Member

Some of them seem quite good ideas to me!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Restrict all cars to 70mph
    Anyone caught causing a motoring offence – ban them for 3 years

pingu66
    Free Member

I agree some of them are, and would appear to be common sense, unfortunately not every cyclist necessarily takes reasonable or sensible precautions.

Some on the other hand are quite ridiculous and illustrates the mentality of some people.

aracer
    Free Member

I was surprised to find that most of them were very sensible. Of course they had to include this classic contribution from Bruce Spencer though (which is actually illustrative of part of the problem):

When all cyclists are required and comply with traffic law where applicable and are required to have identification such as number plates, then more consideration should be given to their safety.

maccruiskeen

Whats the use of a bunch of opinions though. Might it not be useful to base solutions on evidence rather than ideas? The trouble with ‘common sense’ is its often analogous with ‘commonly held misconceptions’

“More needs to be done with vehicle design. I have never understood how being in someone’s blind spot is an excuse for being maimed. A vehicle operator who is in effect moving their vehicle into space which they cannot see is clear, is simply not acceptable, especially with all the technology now available.

In terms of radical thinking though it might be worth looking beyond road rules and behaviours though. In terms of blind spots there are instances where theres an inevitability with vehicles designed to carry certain loads – you can add a panoply of mirrors and cameras and monitors but then a cyclist is lost in amongst too much disjointed information – but on some vehicles those blind spots aren’t there for reasons of construction or use, they are there because of UK VAT and tax legislation. To the tax man a vehicle is only treated as commercial for VAT/tax reasons if it doesn’t have windows behind the B pillar. A small van on the continent will often have quarter lights – you know for, erm, seeing out of – really handy for being able to look over your shoulder when you make a turn or change lanes for instance ……

But a UK van can’t be sold like that and go through the books as a van – but the blindspot that lack of windows creates is quite alarmingly big. I’ve not measured the one on my Astra van but its not much smaller than the one on my SWB sprinter – which is sufficient to hide a 17 ton truck.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Most of them seem good, the ban headphones would be a great idea.
    The ones suggested on the BBC page were all fairly good too.

seadog101

Left turn on a red light for cyclists, when its clear and safe. That will prevent cyclists having to wait in a blindspot.

brooess
    Free Member

Personally I don’t think we need massive infrastructure creating segregation – only infrastructure which drives behaviour change.

The empathy issue is key I think – we need to work on the lack of understanding of how it feels to cycle with massive chunks of metal being driven at speed past you or on your wheel.

Drivers need to chill out and grow up – with each other as well as with cyclists.

Cycling community needs to do 2 things, which are both IMO very easy:

1. Massive campaign of myth-busting – all the ‘all cyclist RLJ’, ‘hi-vis and helmet will reduce the deaths’ ‘road tax’ etc and get some facts into people’s thick heads…
    2. Get the general public to understand the amount of aggression and harassment faced by cyclists. It’s not acceptable towards women, disabled people, racial minorities etc so why to people choosing a different form of transport?

I think the massive amount of debate after the recent deaths is beginning to make a change though – lots of courteous driving today when I was out…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

1. Massive campaign of myth-busting – all the ‘all cyclist RLJ’, ‘hi-vis and helmet will reduce the deaths’ ‘road tax’ etc and get some facts into people’s thick heads…
    2. Get the general public to understand the amount of aggression and harassment faced by cyclists. It’s not acceptable towards women, disabled people, racial minorities etc so why to people choosing a different form of transport?

Couple that with a one to cyclists reinforcing that RLJ is bad, see and be seen, don’t undertake in traffic and increase your awareness and I’m there.

brooess
    Free Member

Couple that with a one to cyclists reinforcing that RLJ is bad, see and be seen, don’t undertake in traffic and increase your awareness and I’m there.

I’m not in favour of compulsory training for cycling as it reduces its accessibility (and requiring a test and a licence doesn’t seem to do all that much for the competence of drivers!) but massive encouragement to take Bikeability would sort out the issues you mention…

aracer
    Free Member

How are you planning to enforce that law? Going to take policemen away from enforcing laws which actually make a significant difference to safety?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How are you planning to enforce that law? Going to take policemen away from enforcing laws which actually make a significant difference to safety?

Same as most other road safety by informing and reminding rather than enforcement. Maybe police could shout stop or I’ll shoot if you don’t hear them they shoot you. Riding in traffic without the benefit of sound is asking for trouble really. Can people not cope with time without music?
    [/quote]I’m not in favour of compulsory training for cycling as it reduces its accessibility (and requiring a test and a licence doesn’t seem to do all that much for the competence of drivers!) but massive encouragement to take Bikeability would sort out the issues you mention…

Not compulsory but make it so that kids do it as part of school automatically and any cyclist caught being a dick or doing something stupid is compelled to do it.

Solutions that encourage all users to be aware and to respect each other are a good thin, assuming one group is right/perfect never works.

sbob
    Free Member

brooess – Member

I’m not in favour of compulsory training for cycling as it reduces its accessibility

Put it on the national curriculum.

My personal radical solution to protect cyclists is to not drive into them.
    I’ve been using this method for years and so far it has worked really well.

JoeG
    Free Member

I’m American, and “Sharrows” are becoming increasingly common on streets that are bike routes, but don’t have a separate bike lane*. Are these used in the UK at all?

*I’m completely aware that these are not any sort of magic solution that will make cycling 100% safe overnight. But they are an educational tool, and will raise awareness among motorists over time.

jameso

from Bruce Spencer :

When all cyclists are required and comply with traffic law where applicable and are required to have identification such as number plates, then more consideration should be given to their safety.
    He probably passes horses wide and slow though. Because one road user is ok, the other he doesn’t like and that’s his choice in his tiny mind.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Joeg – only issue with that is……the means the cars start thinking like bike lanes and shared pedestrian/cycle paths that its the only paths we should use and to keep off the other roads.

gwaelod
    Free Member

The only question anyone should ask when designing infrastructure for cyclists, whether its sharrows or left turn on reds is…would I allow my 7year old child use it to cycle to school on a dark September morning.

aracer
    Free Member

Doesn’t that make it a bit of a waste of time passing the law? Presumably the informing will also take manpower away from informing about other things which might make more difference to road safety – say one of the factors which has actually been involved in a cyclist death this year.

I agree that it’s a bad idea to wear headphones in traffic (though I’m sure there’s a debate to be had there – I’m less than convinced that it’s any more of a bad idea than a lot of other things drivers do which seem to be accepted). However that doesn’t mean that it should be anywhere near the top of the list of things to do to improve the road safety of cyclists.

Not necessarily. There’s infrastructure and then there’s infrastructure. Our route to school has two different types right next to each other – an off-road shared use cycle path and an on-road cycle lane. My kids have used both to get to school, but the on-road lane only when on the back of the tandem. Personally I have no problem with infrastructure which is only suitable for more experienced and older cyclists – so long as it’s not the only provision.

taxi25
    Free Member

works for me as well, don’t know why more motorists don’t do it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My technique as a cyclist is also to not put myself into stupid positions, be seen and to be aware. It’s also working well as I can’t control drivers.

butcher

Are these used in the UK at all?

Yes, they’re normally about 12 inches wide and painted next to the curb. (or kerb, on your side of the world)

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Radical solutions to protect cyclists’ is closed to new replies.