Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Re-waterproof walking boots?
  • cjr61

Hi,

My synthetic walking boots have spring a leak.

Any methods to re-waterproof them?

Thanks

Chris

gobuchul
    Free Member

Are they Gortex lined?

If they are, then the membrane has probably cracked and split. AFAIK it can’t be repaired.

cjr61

Thanks.

I think they are the HiTec proprietary lining.

http://www.hi-tec.co.uk/men/footwear/hiking-and-walking-shoes-and-boots/mount-diablo-i-waterproof-mens-walking-boot-5013342102078.html

Weren’t expensive as I got them in the sale. They both started leaking on the same day. Had hoped a Nikwax or something might make them useable again.

Thanks

Onzadog
    Free Member

Treatments will only help stop the fabric from wetting. Actually water penetration is down to the liner, which now sounds like it’s compromised.

The other possibility is that dirt is stopping them membrane from breathing and so condensation collects in the boot but I’m guessing it’s more a single point leak issue.

cjr61

Thanks. Sounds like my liners are knackered. As per the pic above…it’s pretty significant leaking!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Treating them might be worth a try. My winter boots have a slight leak but when freshly proofed the water runs off the outer witbout soaking in. Doesn’t help with standing in puddles but solves road spray and wet grass.

kormoran
    Free Member

Yeah if the membrane has holed then there’s nothing to be done, having said that I have had some success soaking my boots in nikwax wash in but it won’t stop water getting in once the fabric is inundated.

All the boots I’ve had that failed have gone together on the same day or very very close.

keithr
    Free Member

Sealskinz socks, CJR – then the boots don’t need to be waterproof.

cjr61

Thanks all. Will try Nikwax and then leave them as summer walkers

Cheers

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Re-waterproof walking boots?’ is closed to new replies.