Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Re-installing windows
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

ok, done it, and everythig is working as it should, and vuze is currently speeding away re-downloading my music (yes own the hardcopyies, but vuze is easier than puting them in one by one).

But the HD has filed up!

I’ve checked vuze and its only dowloaded 35gb onto a 160gb hard drive. So i can only presume that the old windows is somewhere on the hardrive? Just checked in “program files” and theres stuff i there that i had on the old PC, some of it the reasons why i needed to re-instal windows (lots of half removed software that was no longer workig, no longer deletable, but stil used up RAM and CPU seed/space)

In which case is there any way of
    a)accessing the music folder on it and transferign it accross
    b)deleting everything else

Whatsit
    Free Member

You should have formatted the drive, sounds like you opted to keep the file structure intact and have thus still got all the old crap still on the drive.

You should be able to access the music folder but if it says permission denied try find a download called take ownership, it’s a registry hack so make sure you get it from a reputable source, double click and add it to your registry and you’ll end up with an option in the right click menu to “take ownership” (it’ll set file/folder permissions for you so you can access the folder and files inside).

As for deleting everything else the best bet is a complete clean install by formatting the drive during the windoze install.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

bolloks

can i format the drive without re-re-re-installing windows?

might wait til the new logic board for the ipod arrives and i can back up everything from since the last install.

Whatsit
    Free Member

😆 at your opening line.

No, sorry a format will wipe the drive completely.

Can you not just back up the vuze folder?

Maybe delete enough crap to enable you to make a partition (E: ?)on the drive big enough to take your music and move the vuze music folder into that then format and install windows onto your C drive, install vuze and move the music back, finally delete the 8Gb partition and merge the space back into your c drive.

Just an idea.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

sounds like a plan, im sure google will yield instructions,

Ta,
    ~Sam

project
    Free Member

Should have got a Fensa registered glazier to do the work, theyre insured, and youll be supporting a small buisness.

Whatsit
    Free Member

Baboom tish. He’s on here all week folks 😆

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

not if i have anything to do with it, passes project his coat and cals a cab.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No, sorry a format will wipe the drive completely.

if that were true the intelligence agencies wouldn’t find out anything!! Format or Delete does not mean the same as remove still possible to get stuff back if you know how

Whatsit
    Free Member

Mkewsmith you’re the worst example of a pedant! 😉

To a normal user it’s a wiped drive, me I don’t sell a drive without running a schneir of gutmann wipe 1st. DOD 7 pass is crap and even after a Schneier or Gutmann a scanning magnetic dodah microscope thingy can pull data off.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Re-installing windows’ is closed to new replies.