Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • re felting a shed roof…. any tips??
  • renton
    Free Member

im building a new shed and ive got to felt the roof.

never done it before and would like to get it right first time so has anyone got any useful tips and making it watertight!!

cheers

steve

Nick

Work upwards from the gutter and make sure that all joins are horizontal and there is a good amounts (4 inches)of overlap, use some bitumen 'paint' to stick the pieces together where they overlap.

It's quite an easy job really.

zaskar
    Free Member

Typical varnish, felt and some sealer and decent glue or tacks.

Not the correct way though.

fastindian
    Free Member

use under felt first in one direction then cover with the roofing felt. try and lay it on a sunny day, cut your felt to length then leave in the sun for a bit, helps soften it up for laying

allthepies
    Free Member

Felt is sh*te IMO.

Use this stuff http://www.wickes.co.uk/Bitumen-Corrugated-Sheet/invt/240039
    will last years, I put it on my shed when the felt started leaking.

zaskar
    Free Member

Nice one pies I'm gonna try that in summer!

project
    Free Member

Measure the length of the roof and then add on about 15 inches,cut your felt to this size,roll out on lawn to cut, and always try to cut with either a hooked stanley knife blade,and always away from you.

Roll up this piece and place on roof,unroll from the end of the shed and slightly over lap,at the end,pull gently down to the gutter line, and then using clout nails, ensure they are short enough not to penetrate the roof,then nail every 4 inches along the gutter line,puulling felt gently, until you reach the other end,

Next pull the felt up and do the sme ensure that its tight,along the top, you can us eless clout nails here as it will be covered by the top caping layer,latter.

Now proceed to do the same the other side,then fit the top capping piece, and do the same the capping piece should lie equaly on either slope,now clout nail this all along the joins.

a few 2 x 1 treated batons down the slope will stop the felt lifting and ripping.

Best to get a freind to help you and dont try this on a windy day as youll rip the felt.

Sent you an email with some more info.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Above all, don't buy 'shed felt' it's shite. Pay more and get the heavier duty stuff.

Although I'm going with the corrugated stuff this spring.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘re felting a shed roof…. any tips??’ is closed to new replies.