Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • Re-built a mates wheel..
  • smell_it
    Free Member

Give him his money back and get an application in for customer relations at Superstar.

wwaswas

I think we won’t get any more from the OP ’til school finishes now.

My 2p – even if the OP did nothing wrong he’s got a moral duty to give a refund and it might be educational to accompany his mate to a bike shop and see what their view of the cause of the problem is.

epicyclo

R.lepecha – Member
    Yes there is difference between knowing how to do it and having the skill to do it…

I wasn’t having a go at you, but it’s important to recognise the difference. I sympathise with your predicament – at your age I was buying dud road bikes, fixing them up and selling them. I gave a 3 month no questions money back guarantee.

Talk to any bike shop and you’ll be amazed at how much damage a bike can sustain “just riding along”.

The probability is your mate is a lying skunk and is doing you. You’ve just got to swallow it and get on with life. He’s a customer, the sort you don’t want. Give him his money back and send him to a bike shop.

Price your work to allow for having to do it again a % of the times because no matter how well you do it, someone will break it and then come back with a JRA.

R.lepecha

did you make any mistakes? Is there anything you’ve overlooked?

I checked it and my dad checked it(he also rides bikes, has ridden them for the best part of his life)

He also thought the wheel was built properly.

I am going to re-true said wheel tonight and if he comes back again with it knocked out I will refund and tell him to take it elsewhere.

wwaswas

out of interest how did he break the hub?

if the rim was badly out of true/damaged at the same time you’ll never be able to build it back up so it stays straight and spoke tension will be all over the place.

younggeoff

Just out of interest what did you use to check spoke tensions?

I’ve been building wheels for too long to remember and I never charge mates form doing their wheels, if they decide to get me a few beers in return all the better. I agree with many that 3 wheels is not enough to start charging for your service and as such you should’ve been doing it for the experience

Del

I am going to re-true said wheel tonight and if he comes back again with it knocked out I will refund and tell him to take it elsewhere.

correct approach.
    without wishing to put your dad down, he might ride bikes, but unless he’s built wheels, his opinion is as good as anyone else….
    also, go read what sheldon brown has written about relieving tension in spokes, as previously suggested.

R.lepecha

Had a read of the Sheldon Brown article, He says ”Some wheelbuilders do this by flexing the whole wheel” to tension the spokes, I did that did I not? Jumping on the rim seems like a decent amount of flexing of the rim…

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Jumping on the rim seems like a good way to un-pretzel a wheel in an emergency situation out on the trail, so you can get home. Otherwise it seems a bit over the top to relieve the tension. When most folks I’ve seen have done wheels they’ve just used upper body weight and pushed against the floor.

You can tighten bolts by jumping on a long handled spanner but it’s a pretty crap idea and is more likely to damage them than prove everything is OK.

Time might not be free but then again money doesn’t change hand without obligations 😎

walleater

I already charged him beforehand, too young for beers after a ride….

What? I was swapping fork services for meth-amphetamine when I was ten years old!

thomthumb
    Free Member

i have built around 8 wheels for myself. I wouldn’t dream of charging anyone for my time/ skills. I would be pleased that they gave me another wheel to hone my skills on.

give the lad his tenner back.

tinytimbo
    Free Member

Here is what I suggest matey. True the wheel back up for him and thn go out a decent off road ride with him. Get him to do his normal riding and maybe a few bunny hops and jumps.
    If the wheel is still perfectly straight after a couple of hours then it’s fair to say you have done a decent job.

If however the wheel is like an egg I think you need to give you matey his money back and apologise.

If your mate does a 10 foot drop off though as part of his normal riding then maybe it is he who needs to apologise to you.

R.lepecha

His wheel looks something like (photo of my wheel after crash I spoke about earlier)

I have de-tensioned every spoke as the rim was not pulling back straight. I am going to strip the wheel, try straighten the rim as it is really quite bent then start again.

He was running a 29’er tube in it, could this cause excess stress on the rim?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Unless that photo is showing an odd perspective I’d say that looks knackered. If it were an emergency get you home measure I’d try straightening it out but as a long termer I’d not bother, new rim.

roblane65
    Free Member

It can take years to become fully skilled in a proffesion or trade so after buiding a few wheels doesn’t make you a wheelbuilder.If you new as much as you think you know you wouldn’t be asking why/what happened on here would you? just my point of view btw it’s only by making mistakes that we learn.but one that doesn’t involve cost is a bit easier to swallow.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Unless that photo is showing an odd perspective I’d say that looks knackered. If it were an emergency get you home measure I’d try straightening it out but as a long termer I’d not bother, new rim.

Assuming thats not de-tensioned and the builder has some skill I’d say that was recoverable,

I’ve built a fair few wheels of my own now, never had one fail even used in trials bikes with my 100kg on top. Still wouldnt charge a mate to build one and love the chance to pass on the techniques to mates over a drink/evening. I used to build the odd one for a bike shop and never had one returned, but my skills were nothing on the pro builder we called in for “good” wheelsets.

Re-using old spokes rarely works. They lose tension and snap for more easily than new ones.

I’d have to disagree there, it;s fine if the spokes are not damaged. My current wheelset has spokes in from 1996 that have been used in 4 wheels, none of which failed or de-trued despite alpine fun and my lack of skill lol. Paid servie though – new spokes, not worth the risk unless specifically demanded.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I love how everyone is jumping on the op. Typical stw. Building a wheel for £10 could so easily be described as enterprising and helpful, why not? Totally different to doing so when you’re working.

And just because no one has destroyed your wheels doesn’t make you a skilled builder.

OP if the rim is not pulling straight then yes the rim is too bent. Straightening it may work, it may not. Give it a go.

No one can know whether the original build was ok or not. All that is required is high and even tension, it’s not rocket science. I’ve destroyed a “properly built” factory wheel by bunny hoppIng on a test ride – it was a crap rim.

bassspine
    Free Member

Re-using old spokes rarely works. They lose tension and snap for more easily than new ones.

disagree. IME reused spokes are often easier to get to a consistent tension, as they’ve already been stress relieved. Reusing old rims is more problematic.

R.lepecha

OP if the rim is not pulling straight then yes the rim is too bent. Straightening it may work, it may not. Give it a go.

its not quite as bad as the photo, because on that photo with my wheel it was bent lets say half of the wheel, his is 3/4 straight and a section that sits about 1 inch or so out.

I am going to try sort it for him, I did tell him that it may not work though.. Any views on whether the 29er tube could have caused it because of the extra pressure on the section that has the buldge?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ooh I missed that amateur hour gem. It’s pish.

Re using old spokes is fine but it helps if you orientate them in the same way as previous and of course clean up the threads.

Re using an old rims is fine if it’s straight.

holyhutzpa
    Free Member

R.lepecha, it definitely wasn’t the 29er tube that did it…

If I were you, I’d both give him the money back and try to fix it. By fixing it you might be able to find out what was wrong. I don’t think it’s fair to say you earned your 10 quid by taking the cassette and chain off and putting them back on another bike, etc. In this kind of situation it’s much more important to prove you’re a fair person to do business with than to earn that 10 pounds (and you might get more jobs coming your way if you can fix it and the person is happy with your work) And don’t jump on the wheel this time! It isn’t meant to withstand 60kg in that direction on the rim! (Kneel beside it and push down with your upper body weight)

boblo
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    Ooh I missed that amateur hour gem.

Ooooooh, the ironing. 🙂 Has that nastly black scab cleared up yet? 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

Boblo

I’ve built more wheels than you’ve had hot dinners. I’ve also made more functioning brake mounts using carbon fibre than you. I’m happy to try stuff like bodges, but that’s different to advising others on the basis of guesswork, hearsay or nonsense.

So stick it up your hoop 😛

R.lepecha

He now has the wheel back. I striped it, straightened it, spoked up, trued up. Then using the Sheldon Brown method I tensioned all the spokes, then trued again, then tensioned again, then trued again until it stopped being knocked out of true slightly.

Then I went round the rim a few times using the same method to make sure. After that I pushed on the rim round the outside a few times, checked alignment then pushed a few more times.

Spoke tension is pretty even again.

I have definitely done everything by the book this time…

epicyclo

Good luck:)

Moral of the story – there’s nothing wrong with using old parts like spokes and rims, but if you don’t know their history, the results may be unpredictable.

I reuse old spokes and rims, but I wouldn’t build a wheel like that for someone else unless they were prepared to accept that.

R.lepecha

I reuse old spokes and rims, but I wouldn’t build a wheel like that for someone else unless they were prepared to accept that.

He knew it was using old spokes and rim.

cynic-al
    Free Member

TBH OP it does sound like you know what you are doing.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Good karma for putting the wheel right.

Did you spot what had caused the wheel to go out of true so quickly?

R.lepecha

No I could not pin point the issue. Not quite sure what caused it, I think when the tube was fitted(wrong size) it had about 20-25psi in it and he has bounced the wheel up a curb or something causing a rather large shock through the wheel and maybe unfortunatly it was where the tube bulged and the tyre was even softer at that point. So basically he cracked the rim on something solid without noticing.

Thats the only explanation I could think off. I cannot think of any other valid reason why it would have done what it did.

Its now got a 26 inch tube in it pumped to around 35psi so that should stop any chance of what I said above..

I mean if now its built to the Sheldon Brown ways of doing it I cannot see any reason why the wheel would walk out of line due to a wheel building issue.. I mean after all, Sheldon is a legend of bike maintainence.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I doubt that the tube itself was a contributing factor although a tyre pressure of 20psi certainly could be if he was riding straight at kerbs without at least unweighting the front end. The important thing is that you did right by your mate and hopefully you can be confident that if he knocks it out of true again that you’ve not missed anything and that he is a clumsy oaf.

I mean after all, Sheldon is a legend of bike maintainence.

Yep, he certainly was. However following his guidelines doesn’t make you or I an expert. It helps us to avoid some of the pitfalls but there is no substitute for years of experience.

R.lepecha

It was his rear wheel so it would me more bunny hop over curb but not hop far enough, which he has done many times before…

Agreed experience plays a big part, I did spend about 7-8 hours of online research into wheel building before I even took my first wheel apart. I think I almost read every single page on how to build a wheel… I wasnt going to start a job that I didnt understand. Once I understood the physics and mechanics behind it I knew what to do.

Brown
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    Ooh I missed that amateur hour gem.

That really hurt my feelings, man.

xiphon
    Free Member

LOL !

They mean practical experience actually building them, not reading! I’ve built about 10 pairs of wheels, and still consider myself very inexperienced…

trail_rat
    Free Member

looks like a badly tensioned wheel that sprung in that photo to me.

“Thats the only explanation I could think off. I cannot think of any other valid reason why it would have done what it did. “

read above !

trail_rat
    Free Member

oh and in the words of dave gorman -” i was with you when you said research but you lost all credit when you said “on the internet””

uwe-r
    Free Member

I did some research on wheel building and realised that the LBS was good value for money.

Wheel building is something I might get into when I’m retired and I have a massive beard.

R.lepecha

looks like a badly tensioned wheel that sprung in that photo to me.

That was my own wheel.It was definitely not bad tensions that knocked it out, I came down bars sideways onto a rock with it.. Ran it for 6 months before that happened.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

R.lepecha:

Try looking up the difference between tacit and explicit knowledge. I reckon wheelbuilding is an activity that is mostly tacit knowledge maybe by as much as 70:30.

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Re-built a mates wheel..’ is closed to new replies.