Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Rattling the charity tin on the WHW. Good idea?
  • Kunstler

I’m riding the West Highland Way in one day next month. I’m doing this to raise money for the autism charity for which I work in order to buy some bikes and equipment to make available for our service users to give them something to try supported and hopefully some will take it further from there (we support people with Aspergers and high-functioning austism).

Training and preparation for the ride is going well but I’m struggling with fundraising as this is something that I’ve never done before. I have some wonderful colleagues and friends who have offered help (a few are riding some sections of the route with me) and now I’m wondering if we could have some kind of collection/promotion stall set up on route.

Rattling the tin for the cause at the start of the Devil’s staircase might chime with sympathetic mtbers though there’s more folk to catch the attention of outside the Green Welly at Tyndrum.

Thoughts? Would you feel inclined to drop a coin in the tin on your way to or back from a day’s riding – some folk find it a bit pestering. I’d much rather ride 96 miles than ask someone else for money but that’s me.

I’m asking just so I can an idea of the viability before I suggest to our willing volunteers and alienate my friends by making them stand for hours in a drizzly midge hell.

Duane…
    Free Member

Do people have coins on them when riding? I don’t very often.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

are you a “social entreprenuer” or a “chugger”?

scotroutes

A) when I was riding in that area recently I had to give directions to a lost soul who was doing the WHW for charity. He had a convincing enough sob story (knackered foot so biking instead of walking) that I gave him a tenner on the spot. So – yes it can work.

B) TBH I think you’ve lost sight of the reason for doing this. If it’s just for an adventure, do it as that. If you are serious about raising money then that’s where the effort has to go. If that is taking you out of your comfort zone then consider that the greater challenge.

Muke
    Free Member

How about a sign so people can donate to charity by text

marty
    Free Member

Pre-event fundraising online would almost certainly net you more than collecting change whilst riding. Virgin Money Giving / JustGiving page and encourage folks by email / social media?

Most people head S>N, so if you’re riding the same way you’d be stopping to speak to folks which I’d imagine will get a bit wearing and depending on when you’re doing it, you might not see that many people on bits of the route.

Edit: ditto what scotroutes said in his point B.

Kunstler

Sorry, I might not have explained myself very well there.

I wouldn’t be doing the collecting, it would be guys wearing Autism Initiatives t-shirts with a banner stating the what’s and why’s. Probably situated at Tyndrum.

It is a massive challenge for me and one that stands out as different from raising money from an organised ride or running a marathon. It is an adventure fro me too. It might also be another opportunity to promote an understanding of Austism and Aspergers, something which a couple of encounters with people in the last few weeks seems wholly worthwhile in itself (but that’s another matter).

I have set up a giving page and am receiving donations but I understood it was policy that we shouldn’t promote directly on the forum.

I really am new to this so I’d appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

edlong
    Free Member

There’s some legal stuff you have to get covered before you can “rattle the tins” and do direct cash collecting for a charity. Talk to the charity itself first, they probably have the relevant licences etc. and can advise you further.

Kunstler

We have a community fundraiser who organises supermarket collection days so I guess that shouldn’t be an issue.

marty
    Free Member

There’s some legal stuff you have to get covered before you can “rattle the tins”
    And rattling the tins is one of the things you can’t do… 🙂

Tyndrum would probably be the best bet on the WHW itself. Lots of people stopping at Real Food / Green Welly on top of WHWers. Possibly Milngavie if you’re doing some photos at the start and Balmaha too (if you’re there on a weekend).

edlong
    Free Member

And rattling the tins is one of the things you can’t do…

Yeah, well, er, no, actually, that’s become one of those myths like that you can’t clear snow from in front of your door without being sued, or playing conkers without goggles. You’re not allowed to “harass” when collecting and some local authorities have interpreted that as meaning you can’t rattle a tin, but it’s not actually illegal (unless done in a harassy way).

A good example of why liaising with your charity is a good first step – they may well have a code of conduct for fundraisers, which might (or might not) have stipulations regarding rattling tins. There are, however lots of rules that are real, best to find out what they are.

marty
    Free Member

some local authorities have interpreted that as meaning you can’t rattle a tin, but it’s not actually illegal (unless done in a harassy way).
    Based on what the Mrs was told by our local council (Fife).

theblackmount
    Free Member

Great cause and deserving of support.

However, the harassment thing is a thin line. I’d certainly take exception to folk waving a tin under my nose on the open hill. Around the Green Welly is fair game – seems everyone’s out to make a buck around there 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Rattling the charity tin on the WHW. Good idea?’ is closed to new replies.