Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • rats behind greenhouse in old cuttings, how to evict?
  • jsm

I have definite proof now that I have some rats behind my glasshouse, I think/hope they’re just in the old cuttings behind the glasshouse and not under it.

So what’s the best plan? Do I just disturb them, sounds a bit NIMBY? I could stand on wall and move the cuttings?

Or do I need to get a rat catcher/dog warden in? I see my council don’t do it anymore 🙁
    I don’t know anyone with a terrier and I’m not digging out my old air pistol or cricket bat

Edric64
    Free Member

Get a cat ,dont feed it !

hmanchester
    Free Member

In th open with nowhere to hide and stink when they die?

Poison, shovel and a wheelie bin.

jsm

no to the cat…

Edric64
    Free Member

Neighbours wheelie bin of course for smelly dead rats

piemonster

Jack Russell, don’t feed it.

piemonster

Some form of hired pest control.

trail_rat
    Free Member

rodene.

you know how rodene works as well – it drys them out so no smell

porter_jamie

jack russell terrier. the rat catching equivalent of nuking them from orbit

plyphon
    Free Member

Kill it with fire?

singlecrack
    Free Member

Yep ..Jack Russell …THE best rat catcher ….

wysiwyg
    Free Member

An over oiled 2 stroke engine and a terrier ftw

mooman
    Free Member

Ferret and terrier make a good combination .. a terrier by himself wont see too much.

If you can see the rat holes .. and not got the ferret .. then a chainsaw with pipe from exhaust going down the rat holes will bring the little fellas out to play with the terrier.

Repeat on weekly basis.

Easier option though is rat poison placed under something the rats can get under. But not as much fun as the ferret/chainsaw + terrier option ..

Mikeypies
    Free Member

clear the area of plants and odds and sods and other simular areas in the garden then put down some poison (in a a bait box or something simular so as not to poison hedgehogs birds or cats) check the bait box daily and keep replacing the bait till it isnt being eaten. Dont bother with traps as they will eat the bail

hmanchester
    Free Member

Actually strap my poison suggestion!

Do HSS offer a terrier + ferret + chainsaw hire package?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I can’t believe no ones been along to chastise the terrier thing

jsm

So I cleared the garden cuttings, the rat popped out and ran into the dry stone wall. So i’ve nipped out and bought a bait box with rodine in it (rentokil stuff). If it eats the stuff, I guess it’s curtains for it/them.

STW – surprised there wasn’t a suggestion of explosives or shotguns, I remember the days threads really got side tracked 😛

PePPeR

Wysiwyg, It’s all ok as long as you’re only using 1 terrier, if two or more are used then you’re hunting with dogs, which is illegal!

Tis fine to hunt mice with a pack of dogs but not rats BTW!

😀

loddrik
    Free Member

We’ve two pet rats, cracking little pets.

CaptJon
    Free Member

terrier and a ferret with a chainsaw

fattyre500
    Free Member

Big serrated edged rat trap (big mouse trap with teeth) and peanut butter on bread as bait.Might be a good idea to put it in a box with only a small entrance just to stop wandering children getting a wif of peanut butter and loosing a finger!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘rats behind greenhouse in old cuttings, how to evict?’ is closed to new replies.