Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Rats…………………..
  • xterramac
    Free Member

I’m getting sick of the rats in our garden….

We’ve got a gun and are ready to get all dirty harry on there asses, but everytime we are locked n loaded, the buggers keep a low profile.
    Anyone know any good tricks to bring them out into the firing line???

Torminalis
    Free Member

Sexy girl rats?

MrNutt
    Free Member

bait the middle of the garden and settle in an upstairs window with a flask of weak lemon drink and two buckets.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Guns are too labour intensive, poison is what you want.

peterwp
    Free Member

Cheese….they can’t resist

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Ring the council?

wwaswas

get some proper bait laid with poison. you may feel better shooting at them but you won’t even make a dent in the population.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

bait boxes.
    get rid of any compost bins that have food scraps in.

and patiently lie in wait in the dead of night…

Harry_the_Spider

I’ve just bought a tub of Rentokill Rat and Mouse killer because we have some of the little sods running about in our loft and behind the kitchen units.

Operation Extermintaion begins tonight. I will keep you informed of the corpse count.

Regards,

The Verminator

PJM1974
    Free Member

What am I gonna do?

xterramac
    Free Member

Thanks chaps, after reading about how quickly they multiply, i think poison rather than pot shots is the way forward

Clong
    Free Member

Peanut butter/nutella on a old kitchen tile or similar. Something they cant carry off to eat basically. Put it down for a few days, let the rats get used to it, then go for the kill.

mikerc
    Free Member

Just remember using poison ………..when they die, they rot , when they rot they stink , so having a dead rotting rat in the loft and behind kitchen cabinets get ready with the air freshner

Harry_the_Spider

Hopefully they bugger off feeling a bit queasy and cark it somewhere else.

Going to bait the humane traps in the kitchen with poison so I know where the bodies are. The humane ones have been a waste of time with chocolate and raisin bait. The poisoned stuff is meant to smell irresistible to the little ####ers.

ericemel
    Free Member

Mainecoon cat

epicyclo

The quickest and most humane way is a Staffie. The rats won’t know what hit them. Instant death. Much kinder.

ratcatcher

Harry if you have rats in kitchen and loft get your drains checked!

Harry_the_Spider

Mice not rats.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Humane traps? FFS! these are rats! If you want rid of them use the proper steel backbreaker traps.

Harry_the_Spider

Mice not rats.

Twas the wifes idea. Now it is my turn. Bring on the WMDs.

teasel
    Free Member

+1 for backbreakers as opposed to poison. I’m assuming you live in a town and not in the country but even then there are still predators that will eat them and take the poison on-board by doing so.

As far as I know and as long as you’re not a farmer, if you have an infestation the local council are obliged to step in and sort it out but I might be out of date (think payment for rat’s tails) with that info.

Jack Russell’s are good ratcatchers.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Use the back of a shovel, or a lighter and a can of Lynx.

Harry_the_Spider

Mice not rats.

Live in a semi rural area with a nature reserve at the bottom of the garden and farm land on all sides within a hundred or so yards.

teasel
    Free Member

A lighter and a can of expanding foam would also work well…

😈

teasel
    Free Member

My post was aimed at the OP, Harry, not your good self.

trambler

Popping them is a bit of sport, but poison is the way to go, just be careful where you use it. Unless you remove the reason they have moved in, probably food, they’ll be back whatever you do. Bird feeders are a rat magnets as are composters.

brakes
    Free Member

smelly rotting poisoned rats is a bit of a non sequitor – where do you think they go when they die naturally?

my mum had rats in her garden – she got rid of them by regularly shoving the hose pipe into their runs and flushing them out. they eventually pissed off next door.

teasel
    Free Member

They hate interruption. Blocking holes and runs will annoy them no end and they will, as Brakes writes, find somewhere easier to live.

It’s the most peaceful way of dealing with them but rarely works without daily investigation of their lair area and feeding grounds.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Playing a Celine Dion record? That’d clear most life from a wide radius!

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Poison and traps is the way to go.

The poxy stuff you can buy from B&Q and the likes is useless though. You’re best off ringing the professionals as they have access to the proper nasty stuff.

As said – remove all sources of food first though and also play hell with burrows etc as rats are neophobes and will bugger off if their routines get disrupted enough.

Last house had rats in the roof (coming up a drain pipe) and they were a right pain to get shut off. Lots of poison and lots of disruption worked in the end.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Rats…………………..’ is closed to new replies.