Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 126 total)
  • RATM does it!
  • Pieface

I don't know if X factor launched a counter attack this year or if its just indicative of the crap chart music nowadays but listening to the top 40 tonight there were at least about 4 or 5 tunes in there that were covers of, or songs sung by (and / or covers of previous) tunes / artists of previous X factors.

Underhill
    Free Member

I'm torn about the whole issue. I hate the X-Factor style & I despise what popular music has become in the last 10-15 years, but I sort of think that by supporting the "opposition" many people have been suckered into re-igniting the charts.

Facts are that the charts are nowadays pointless, very few singles are really sold and most of those are ringtones, but get a bit of controversy in the mix and Hey Presto, tens of £1ks for the record companies. Even if it's only for a week or two, it keeps them in Cristal for a little longer.

And who really thinks that Rage will be #1 next week? My money is on Joe… which is a pity cos I really love that band.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

29p to buy a tune or place a vote…they lost the chart but think how many uckwits have payed money into that, correctly named, sterile pop monopoly

jond
    Free Member

>I probably don't see the point.

It's not exactly difficult.
    Bloke in music industry with too-high trousers attempts to corner charts for Christmas again. Public say '**** off I won't do what you tell me'

To add some history from the rock front – originally it was gonna be a Journey song (Don't stop believin') which the current crop would be piss-poor at as far us us rockers/metalheads would be concerned..

nickc

Bloke in music industry with too-high trousers attempts to corner charts for Christmas again. Public say '**** off I won't do what you tell me'

But seem more than happy to do what a facebook group tell them to do…

CountZero

For those on here who can't see the point/are hard of thinking/have no historical reference, once upon a time, people used to enjoy a harmless race for the Christmas No1 spot. The winner may have been cheesy, but the point was the public has a variety of choices. Then X-Factor came along and for the last five years Simon Cowell has dictated the No1 Christmas single. The Facebook campaign didn't force anyone to buy RATM, it just gave a focus to people who were sick of endless Kareoke pop and wanted to kick against it. I would have prefered a homegrown Christmas song like Laura Marling's but this has perhaps acted as a catalyst and we'll see a proper choice next year. Actually, even better would be for X-Factor to start in January so the winner is chosen in the summer, so we can have more Christmas single choice. AND BRING BACK TOTP!

Too_Punk_To_Funk
    Free Member

29p to buy a tune or place a vote…they lost the chart but think how many uckwits have payed money into that, correctly named, sterile pop monopoly

Flippin eck. It's a laugh. 29p? How much did you spend on silly present for someone this year?

Too original and unique to ever join in with anything? Well I'll admire the strength of your integrity while you never: join in with friends, go to a large concert, attend a sporting event, become part of a community… ..oh, wait. A community like this one?

😀

grynch
    Free Member

RATM won.. good for them , but I do have to wonder how many copies last years n.1 Xfactor song sold as opposed to this year.

I would offer a fair guess that this years n.2 sold way more than last years n.1 which means altho they didnt get the coveted top spot they are still laughing and counting ££

DezB
    Free Member

I would offer a fair guess that this years n.2 sold way more than last years n.1 which means altho they didnt get the coveted top spot they are still laughing and counting £

doesn't matter though, does it. It's still the tip of a f^&*ing huge iceberg for Cowell, Sony etc.
    It ain't about the sales volume, the money or any of that.
    It's just saying a big **** OFF to the X Factor. (Although I do that by not watching it, which I think would be a far better F^&K OFF if the whole country followed suit)

nickc

Yes, it's almost been like a weekly vote to promote your favourite…oh no, hang on that sounds familiar

gavinski
    Free Member

Xipe totec has it right. All you holier than thou indie boys need to remember that way back someday you made a decision to start listening to stuff that wasn't on the radio, that might have been prompted by rebelling against your parents, something some cool older kid gave you, or you stumbled upon john peel. Whatever – everyone needs a prompt to realise that there is more out there than the charts,

the problem at the moment is that the charts are completely full of bands that have massive label backing – even in my memory indie, rock or metal bands made it into the charts, maybe not number 1 but you heard them.

grumm
    Free Member

Missing the point.

nickc

Have I?

I'm genuinely happy that the obviously cooler herd had "their" single get to number one.

soma_rich
    Free Member

😀

Two fingers to Cowell!

Was driving along the motorway last night tooting my horn! Never been so excited about a chart placing 😀

I will be doing everything I can to get to the gig 😀

Surfr
    Free Member

Alexandra sold 576,000 in the first week (Christmas) in 2008. Joe sold 450,838. Lean to google, troll

grumm
    Free Member

I'm genuinely happy that the obviously cooler herd had "their" single get to number one.

While other people congratulate themselves on how cynical and superior they are.

marsdenman
    Free Member

I'm guessing i'm the only person in the country not too have heard the RATM single…….
    Fair play to people power though 😀

Too_Punk_To_Funk
    Free Member

While other people congratulate themselves on how cynical and superior they are.

Perhaps we could be educated on what a cool bit of music is?

Oh, no wait. That would mean lots of people might like it, and then it would have to become uncool. 😀 😀 😀

nickc

The song that's being played most in our house seems to be the Hanna Montana original of "the Climb". There was much wailing and renting of cloth when my 9 year old (a huuuuge X factor fan, heard the final song….) A much betterer version than some mindless manufactured pop pap (warning: contains irony)

So, no cool points here I'm afraid.

ourmaninthenorth

I'm guessing i'm the only person in the country not too have heard the RATM single…….

There are two of you. I mean "us".

What a lot of fuss and nonsense.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Louis Walsh in today's Sun

With all the fuss about Rage Against The Machine, people might fail to realise that Joe has still sold 450,000 records, which is phenomenal.

He then goes on to say He only lost by a tiny 50,000 sales.

If 450,000 is phenomenal, how can 50,000 be 'tiny'. What a tool

MrAgreeable

Not cynical and superior, but some people do seem to be confusing buying a single from Amazon with a genuinely subversive act. 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

Not cynical and superior, but some people do seem to be confusing buying a single from Amazon with a genuinely subversive act.

Really? Because everyone I've spoken to about it just thought it was a bit of fun.

clubber
    Free Member

this whole thing is about as subversive/rebellious as getting a tattoo nowadays, however, it is an amusing way to annoy Simon Cowell, no matter how nicely worded his press releases are 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

it was a bit of fun.

Agreed. I even looked at the results of the 'Hit Parade' last night for the first time in about seventy-twelve years. It made me laugh and I bet it made Cowell laugh too – I don't suppose he gives a tin-shit who gets number one at Christmas. I am sure that next year normal service will resume anyway.

satsoma
    Free Member

A brilliant bit of fun, made me laugh loads last night 🙂

Good to see that some people understand that it is just a joke…the 'cool' people take themselves way too seriously 😉

clubber
    Free Member

I don't suppose he gives a tin-shit who gets number one at Christmas

Actually I think that he will be p!ssed off though no doubt his millions will comfort him somewhat 😉

MrAgreeable

grumm – Member

Really? Because everyone I've spoken to about it just thought it was a bit of fun.

I'm sure people say that, 'cos as soon as you start to look beyond the "take back our charts" and "stick two fingers up to Cowell" rhetoric it's pretty thin. I don't doubt RATM's political convictions, but to a lot of people they are just another opportunity to express themselves through buying a product, and always have been.

Harry_the_Spider

It has made me revisit my CD collection. RATM on now. Janes Addiction next and so on until the missus kills the amp with a hammer.

DezB
    Free Member

Its nothing to do with being cool, liking cool music, being subversive or any of what some arseholes seem to think it is (and that they are "cooler" by not being involved in it)
    It's to do with thinking the X Factor is sh1t. And the karaoke crap music it produces is crap.
    If you don't think that, then you're just not interested in music.. so be it.

Harry_the_Spider

Just been told to turn it off.

I suspect that saying F##K YOU I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME would be a bad and silly thing to do.

MrAgreeable

It's got f–k all to do with being cooler-than-thou, although there is music that deserves to be taken seriously as more than just entertainment (and which tends to be the stuff that gets ridiculed the most stridently as a result).

I like the fact that we've got a sweary Christmas number 1, but it's just another illustration of how things that are initially interesting or threatening get co-opted and lose their meaning.

While part of me would like to see Simon Cowell and his ilk disappear into an ever-repeating hell of indifferent Chicago Rock Cafe guest appearances, I really don't care enough to get het up about it, or even pay 29p for a track I've heard countless times. They represent a side of the music business that is practically dead and buried.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Actually I think that he will be p!ssed off

Nah, he'll be pretending he is so the X Factor machine doesn't lose it's 'value' with its customers.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

there is music that deserves to be taken seriously

Is there? Or are there just some artists using music as a vehicle to peddle their political or social views. It has nothing to do with the music per se – just the words contained within the veneer of a tune.

DezB
    Free Member

Is there? Or are there just some artists using music as a vehicle to peddle their political or social views

Of course there is. Some of it doesn't even have words.
    Mostly it is music made by people with a desire to make music (ie artists), not money (ie. businessmen)

Here's a little example. I had the first Burial album and gave it to a mate to listen to on MP3s. He absolutely loved it and I said he should buy it then, to help artists like Burial. He didn't, but I emailed Burial and told him about it. Burial's reply was that he didn't mind, as long as people were hearing the music. (included for those idiots who would otherwise say that all music is released to make money)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

But why on earth does it need to be taken seriously? Music is music is music. If anyone thinks some combination of musical notes and instruments are somehow more important than others, they have a misguided sense of what is important in life.

If someone makes music with no desire to make financial gain it isn't more important than the music made by someone who does it for gain. No less important, but no more important either.

Edit: So why does your example make their music more important? Steps make music that makes thousands of kids happy. So their music is important.

MrAgreeable

Music can be more than just entertainment. It can be a tool for self-empowerment, a rallying call for a community, a way to challenge the norms of society. I don't see Steps ticking any of those boxes, it's just shallow shiny pop that borrows from other pop records. If someone writes and releases their own music, spends years honing their craft, gets ridiculed for it, maybe even gets thrown in prison, it might not be your cup of tea to listen to, but you can't deny that it will probably have a bit more depth and longevity than a bunch of session musicians pillaging the catchy bits of Abba.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

That sounds self-important clap-trap to me. Music that makes someone happy is important for its own reasons and you can't compare two different pieces of music made by/for different people/audiences and say one is more important that the other. When I hear a sensible argument to the contrary then I will eat my words, but I haven't heard one yet.

col
    Free Member

I can't believe that all those people didn't buy a song that simon cowell told them to – they bought another song that someone else told them to instead. That's really rebellious.

DezB
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion, you don't get it, simple as that. As I said in my previous message: So be it. Music is very f^&*ing important to me though.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘RATM does it!’ is closed to new replies.