Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Raptor 18 v Hawg NV v Wingnut Hyper 3.0 or other
  • yoshimi

Anyone had experience of the above? Pro's & Con's? Will they fit a DSLR + tools, paclite jacket etc. in with full bladder? Or anything else worth a look?
    Cheers

yoshimi

bump

MRanger156
    Free Member

I have just bought a Raptor 18 but not ridden with it yet. The size is really good and will carry all the things you mentioned but will also compress down to a small sized pack if your not carrying a lot. The hydration system is better than the Camelbak Mule I had. Initially impressed.

No experience of the Wingnut.

Ed-O
    Free Member

The larger Hydrapack bags are well worth a look. I've got this one and it's great for carrying bigger loads without loosing stability. Also compresses smaller when you're not packing so much gear. Quality construction.

http://www.hydrapak.com/products/packs/jolla

Vortexracing

I've just bought a Raptor 14. Very very impressed. the bladder and it's ability to be full but not deform the whole pack is great.
    The tool organiser is also neat.

I'm now a Osprey convert.

yoshimi

Ed-O – what are they like with the bladder full, do you lose much internal space, I like the look of those, good price too.

Ranger and Chucky, same question – also Chucky, would the 14l size do me based on sticking the dslr in or too tight a fit do you reckon?

cheers

yoshimi

Sory for all the questions but the shops I go in only ever seem to have Camelbaks so not seen many alternatives in the flesh

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Also have a look at the Osprey Talon. I have the 22 but you can get smaller. Incredibily comfortable, swallows my 3L Camelback bladder without noticing, and ecellent design. Has very good strap system to pull everything tight when not fully loaded. Much cheaper than the Raptor as well

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Sory for all the questions but the shops I go in only ever seem to have Camelbaks so not seen many alternatives in the flesh

i've noticed this! is there some kind of exclusive deal or something? its really difficult to get hold of anything else.

Del

i have a wingnut 3.0. really nice. very well made, good quality materials, good zips etc. etc. pockets do work and are accessible without removing the pack, though due to angles of access if you really start loading those then anything at the back is going to start to be difficult to get to. the pockets also don't impinge on the main compartment. it never really feels that heavy, even with 3L on board, and as i got mine for xmas it's had all the usual winter gubbins in there as well.
    i have a hawg, ( from a couple of years ago, so check the capacities as i know camelbak have jigged the range about a bit ) and despite it being noticeably larger than a mule, i found that it always seemed full when you had a bladder in there and the pockets were loaded up. by contrast the same stuff almost seems to be rattling around in the main compartment of the wingnut!
    wouldn't go back to a 'traditional' type pack that sits over your shoulder blades for riding.
    might get a smaller one for summer…

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Been using a HAWG NV for a few months now.

I cut off the flouro yellow rain cover. Gives me an extra pocket and saves a few grammes.

Firstly, for me,very comfy. Have carried bike kit, shopping, work uniforms, spare lights, wallet, keys, money, mp3 player, lock. Great. Seems small but it swallows gear and everything fits in. 3l bladder fits into an insulated section. Has kept fluids cool even in 40c Ozzie heat. As well as the 3l bladder there's 18l of space.

Off the bike, take off the lumbar straps, remove the NV back panel it's great bag for day trips – plenty of space for all sorts – food, camera etc etc.

Basically, can carry lots of kit, comfortably, or just a bit of kit with straps cinched up tight.

Niggle: The straps that cinch up to tighten the bag seems to be in a really silly place. Once the straps are tight it makes it awkward to get into the 2 side pockets, or into the main compartments – can't help thinking they could be better placed.

Hope this helps a bit!

Vortexracing

don't have a SLR i'm afraid.

the good thing I have noticed is that when the bladder is full the large pocket still has loads of room in it. ie the bladder does not potrude into the pocket very much.

If you are close by you can try mine to see what you think

I'm in Coppull, Nr Chorley Lancs

MRanger156
    Free Member

I was torn between the 14 and 18 but went for the 18 after seeing it in the flesh fully packed and fully compressed. Its smaller than you think.

You can get 10% off at cotswolds using vouchercloud app on an iphone.

Ed-O
    Free Member

Yoshimi – Still holds a good deal. If it took any more it be too heavy IMO. You've got external straps too for pads/full face/jacket or whatever. Just used mine today to carry full knee and shin and chunky elbow pads as well as full face helmet, jacket, mid layer, butties, tools, tubes, pumps, 1st aid kit, water.

Clink

I had a look at the Osprey packs this week. They looked well made but they were sooo heavy – over 1kg for a small pack!! Probably just me though – I'm used to using KIMM/OMM running packs.

Vortexracing

I thought my Osprey 14 Raptor weighed 850grammes ish?

Clink

I thought my Osprey 14 Raptor weighed 850grammes ish?

😀 My OMM 'The Last Drop'10 weighs 350g. In fairness it is made from more lightweight materials, but I've put one hole in in in 2 years of biking/running use. It takes a 2 litre bladder, plus tools, tubes,waterproof etc.

cinnamon_girl

I've had a Wingnut 3.0 for a couple of years now and find it so much better than a Camelbak. I have a shonky back but because the Wingnut is broader at the base, it is more comfy. No pulling on shoulders like the Camelbak did.

The only possible disadvantage is that it does not have compartments inside but, then again, that keeps the weight down anyway.

I use a 3 litre bladder, plus a large pump, rain jacket, picnic lunch, first aid kit, maps, spare top and gloves, inner tube, sit mat, camera, phone. Still room for more!!

yoshimi

So many options 😕

Not only have I been unable to discount my original 3 ideas I now have the Jolla to think about. I've checked out the HAWG NV and it does seem very well put together but I do wonder about the storage acpacity when the bladder is full, mainly whether my slr will fit, as Aphex said the side pockets are hampered by the compression straps, bit daft!

The Jolla looks really sturdy and plenty big enough – I seem to be leaning toward the Wingnut 3.0/enduro or the Raptor 18….Chucky I'm only in chorley; I was going to call in Evans and have a look at the Osprey pack but if I can't will take you up on your offer if thats ok.

I'm curretyly carrying the camera a la SfB – evenb though access is good, hurtling down San Marino at Rivington with it bouncing everywhere doesnt feel great.

Tomahawk
    Free Member

Just invested in a wingnut 2.5 after using a Octane 8 previously.

No comparison IMHO. The weight is lower down on your hips which means that you have a lower COG. I run a 2 litre camelback bladder that in all honesty… is not the greatest fit (could be a niche here for custom bladder makers!) but this is the only downside.

Pockets are accesable and it is constructed from sail cloth with taped seams, the quality is impressive. No sweaty back in the coming summer months has got to be a pro too. I did hear that wingnut are moving their factory to the far east and will be offering more competetive discounts and colour options very soon.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Got an Osprey raptor 18 and I think its really good. bladder that doest deform when full is a good job. Good storage room as-well.

dmiller
    Free Member

I love osprey sacks. I have a talon 33 for commuting. Its so comfy its like night and day with my camelbacks. They are worth the money. Easily.

grahamt1980

I have got a Dakine Drafter and an Apex, like them both, very well thought out and comfy, got one of those cheap lezynes on wiggle a while ago and thats pretty good too

yoshimi

Right then……….
    Tried and found the following………

Hawg – not big enough
    Raptor 18 – not big enough
    Hydrapack Jolla – not big enough
    Wingnut – still not tried
    Vaude Alpin 25+5 – really impressed with this one if only they did a 20+5

Only others to consider now are theu Osprey Manta 20 and Osprey Talon 22

Although upto now I reckon the Vaude is edging it!

soobalias
    Free Member

whoa, really, HAWG NV not big enough!

i have one from last year, its huge, i dont use it often as its too big/heavy

how big is this camera?
    it will weigh as much as i do

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I've got a Wingnut 3.0 and whilst it's a very good pack and really comfy to ride with I have had some problems with the zips pulling apart even if not overloaded…

From every other user review I've seen it does appear that I'm the only one to get this though!

yoshimi

whoa, really, HAWG NV not big enough!

It will fit in at a push but with a full bladder it just strains the zips too much for my liking

MRanger156
    Free Member

How can you not fit an SLR + usual kit in a Raptor 18? Easily big enough.

Vortexracing

I've got a Manta 20 as well if you want to pop round and try that

mail me if you do

sheldona
    Free Member

Had a HAWG now use a Wingnut, wingnut is far better than the HAWG.

delusional
    Free Member

Vaude Alpin 25+5 – really impressed with this one if only they did a 20+5

Have you looked at the Vaude Splash Air 20+5? I have one of these and really rate it. The only issues I have are the lack of compression straps (the crappy belt that came with my Hummvee's works really well for this) and the front pocket is not the best for organisation/useage.
    It's really comfortable though, and holds loads of stuff without compromising the comfort.

I just got myself a Hawg NV the other day and I'm not convinced at the moment. I'm still playing with the adjustments, but I'm struggling to get it to stay as well clamped down as the Vaude so it seems to move about a bit more. The extra useable pockets are great though, although not as nicely organised as the Dakine bags I've seen.

happysv
    Free Member

How waterproof are the raptor 18 bags or do they have a pull out cover like the Hawg NV ?

happysv
    Free Member

Anyone ?

Vortexracing

The Raptors don't have a cover, but the Manta range does.

no idea about how waterproof they are it's been dry for so long 😆

yoshimi

Chucky, I'm living in Chorley so that would have neen ideal but I ended up ordering a Manta 25 yesterday (could't decide between the 20 & 25), should be here today but thanks for the offer (I may still take you up on it if I think the 25 is too big)- this is turning into an epic purchase decision – never again will I moan at my wife when she goes bag/shoe shopping!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Delusional – how do your straps on the HAWG not stay clamped down? Do you have the latest NV version? Mine stays locked in, no drama. Even carrying my helmet when off the bike.

Vortexracing

no probs, if you change your mind just give me a shout

StuE
    Free Member

Got a Wingnut and a Vaude pack, both are way better than Camelbacks I've had Wingnuts the best pack I have used.

tang
    Free Member

wingnut adventure pack here(next size up from the hyper 3.0). def big enough for all you mention. well comfy as weight is on the hips. days out or compress for shorter rides.

delusional
    Free Member

Delusional – how do your straps on the HAWG not stay clamped down? Do you have the latest NV version? Mine stays locked in, no drama. Even carrying my helmet when off the bike.

The chest and waist straps seem to keep working themselves a little loose. It is the latest NV version. May just be that they're a bit too clean and new to hold yet, I've only used it a couple of times so far.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Raptor 18 v Hawg NV v Wingnut Hyper 3.0 or other’ is closed to new replies.