Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Rapid Rise, will it work with Rapidfire Shifters?
  • JB
    Free Member

I've held-out long enough with the old-style top-normal (or is it bottom normal?) type of derailier, but will my old XTR Rapidfire shifters work a rapid rise type derailier?

coatesy
    Free Member

Yes.

Hairychested
    Free Member

My old LX shifters worked with the upside-down shifting rear mech no problem.

xcstu
    Free Member

no reason why it would work with most shifters… just means it shifts the other way round to normal.

JB
    Free Member

Great, I hoped as much!
    Cheers
    JB

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

It works fine. I've had a rapid-rise XT mech on my bike for ~2 years. However, I still have to think about which button does what and occasionally get it wrong when I'm tired, so not ideal for racing.

In fact, I've just changed the mech back to a 'normal' one which feels much more natural.

Underhill
    Free Member

Yeah I had an XT Rapid Rise attached to a Rapidfire shifter with no problem, but did have to be constantly thinking which way round to shift.

Was nice for shifting down on climbs tho, really fast & smooth which helped keep the cadence up.

theotherjonv

I've never used it but I don't understand the 'thinking about what button to use', because surely front mechs are 'rapidrise' per se – ie: you pull the trigger and the gears get easier. Push the thumb for harder gears. Isn't it more obvious to have the same both sides (the only problem is unlearning what you previously learnt?)

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

(the only problem is unlearning what you previously learnt?)

That’s the one. I actually think rapid rise make sense if your starting out.

JB
    Free Member

Aye but sadly I’m not! My current Nr1 Race Bike needs a new mech and in anticipation of a new Nr1 Race bike for next year that is likely to have rapid rise, then I need them both to be the same so at least I stand a chance on unlearning the old-fashioned way!!! 🙁

handyman
    Free Member

Had rapid rise for years never had a problem and the changing is quicker when you are going uphill and need an eassier gear and i have road bike with oringal rise and i only once in awhile get it wrong on road bike but never on the mtb

jd-boy
    Free Member

Rapid rise is the most normal way, just think, big knob big gear, little knob, little gear, simple, and its the same with the front when you think about it, big knob goes to big ring ie big gear and little knob goes to little ring, ie little gear, and both shifters are working the same way round, again simple

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Rapid Rise, will it work with Rapidfire Shifters?’ is closed to new replies.