• This topic has 52 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by hora.
Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Raoul Moat inquest. Who gives a ….
  • konabunny
    Free Member

I still think this is one very good example of a shocking waste of money on finding ‘truths’ that will make zip difference in future

If you recall, the spark for the recent riots in London was a demonstration outside a police station after someone was shot by the police in confusing circumstances. A significant cause of the underlying tension which precipitated the wider disorder was a perception that police officers shoot people unjustly and without consequence. An important part of an inquest is to (relatively) openly discuss the circumstances of a person’s death and identify if there is genuine cause for concern.

In other words, saving a bit of money by trying to not worry yourself too much about people you think are bad dying could cost you more in the long run.

chewkw
    Free Member

The inquest should then be on the effectiveness of the firearm used. Not some toy taser guns. 🙄

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Fenred. I pity those poor, abused souls who swear at others and think we’ve never been to the moon, but hey ho, that’s life. 😉

hels
    Free Member

Wasn’t there somebody on this site that said we should get rid of “Human Rights” as they are expensive and we don’t need them ?

MSP

As I try to recall the events, its seems the manner of his death in the end was rather fortuitous, as in his death alone in the end was about the best scenario possible. The media feeding frenzy about him (which he had access to) pushed him so far into a corner he could have very well come out all guns blazing, injuring and/or killing many more officers and bystanders. The results could have been a lot worse and because this time it kind of worked out, doesn’t mean another time if handled in the same way it wouldn’t be a complete cluster ****.

IMO there are some very big questions to be asked about the role of the media and the media briefings made by the police.

hora
    Free Member

Sky actually played the sountrack to this last night on the news and you can clearly hear him screaming a fair bit which means he didnt have the shotgun under his chin or mouth. It must have been a slow death.

The Police do have to follow procedure with all fire arm incidents which ends in loss of life.

RudiBoy
    Free Member

here moaty, its Gazza….where ya.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Murderous thug gets shot either at his own hand or by a police marksman after week long manhunt and 6 hour standoff. Why bother with an inquest?

Your forgetting this is the forum where someone called him a ‘legend’, and others went on to defend Moat when I bought up his past history (abuse of a child).

Now, if he’d been overcharging for illegal drugs I imagine they’d be an outcry here. 😯

Woody
    Free Member

IMO there are some very big questions to be asked about the role of the media and the media briefings made by the police.

Agreed – is that utterly abysmal policewoman still in a job BTW?

The media treated as they would have any reality show and apart from the quite surreal Gazza appearance (now there is someone who could benefit from increased mental health funding) it was tv in the worst possible taste, which could quite easily have cost more lives.

The cost of the inquest will no doubt be entirely disproportionate to the importance of the findings but that is the price of living in a civilised society.

hora
    Free Member

Or if anyone did 37 in a 30 (heaven forbid!)

poly
    Free Member

At the end of the day he was just one more narcasistic (sp?) MF. A statistical outlier, I struggle to see what lessons can be learned that will have more general application.

How about should he have been released from prison (I assume he was on license?). Should he have been under more careful scrutiny once he was, i.e. could violent behaviour toward his ex and her partner have been forseen (even if not to this extent)? What controls failed that allowed someone with his background access to firearms – could they be better whilst still practical going forward? Should the police response have found him quicker – what can they do better next time? Was the tasar a contibutory factor? Could it have been ended without it? Is tasar a safe and effective way to end such a stand off (not saying it wasn’t or that just shooting him would have necessarily been better / worse – but how do we find out these answers without an inquest?) Was the media a contributing factor? If at the end of the day the answer to everything is “yes the police did a good job in difficult circumstances” then I think that the inquiry is still worthwhile not only because its be having an inquiry/inquest that you keep those in “power” (politically and legally) on their toes – but also because for the officers involved in making decisions which may have ended a man’s life it tells them they made the right decision.

There are inquests into deaths all the time, its just that usually they don’t make headline news as the deceased is just another statistic.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Your forgetting this is the forum where someone called him a ‘legend’, and others went on to defend Moat when I bought up his past history (abuse of a child).

BS that is not what happened some tried to explain/understand his behaviour no one described him as a hero or defended the abuse of a child – there was some debate over whether assault was abuse or not. Some suggested you used emotive language inappropriately – as you appear to have done again.

Perhaps the Daily mail forum is best suited to yor view and attention to facts?

hora
    Free Member

Hes dead now. However there will always be others sadly like this. When someone says no they react with violence. The two who helped tool him up though. FFS.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Raoul Moat inquest. Who gives a ….’ is closed to new replies.