Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Rant…and help wanted too (Specialized)
  • neallyman
    Free Member

Anybody familiar with the Specialized method of routing rear shifter and brake cabling down the underside of the downtube via 3-4 small plastic clips (fixed to the frame with allen bolt)? I have these on my 2010 Specialized Enduro.

2 of the clips have snapped straight through (overtightened them) rendering them useless. Also meaning the method of routing the cables is useless unless I secure zip-tie’s round the full downtube at various points , which I am doing currently but don’t want to do long-term for various reasons.

Apparently specialized do not offer these as spares. (why wouldn’t they???:evil:).

So, anybody else had this and been able to get spares anywhere? Alternatively a bespoke solution like having some milled or manufactured by other means? Any suggestions or experiences welcome please.

mightymarmite
    Free Member

I’ve fitted the Alloy versions that come on the Lapierres.

welovelapierre have them for about £5 from memory, and they add a bit of bling as well.

Skoolshoes
    Free Member
    Speshpaul

“Apparently specialized do not offer these as spares. (why wouldn’t they???:evil:).”

Oh yes they do. Maybe not directly but my LBS had a bag of them off Spesh UK.
    The clips aren’t very strong and the differing sizes of brake and gear cables can cause them to break if you are even slightly keen with the Allen key.
    Spesh used to make this out of Alloy on the 08’s shame they don’t go back.
    In the mean time you could fashion a alloy or plastic plate to pin them on.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Apparently specialized do not offer these as spares

Yes they do. I ordered and bought some from a Spesh dealer!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sounds like the Ragley ones on CRC would work?

neallyman
    Free Member

Haha, some things never fail to surprise me. First of all thanks for the sugestions for alternatives, I’ll get on those in a bit.

As for the spares thing. Here is (the last of) correspondence this morning with Hargroves Cycles where I bought he bike. I contacted them having contacted Specialized directly and being told to go back to where I bought the bike. This was after 2 weeks of waiting:

”We can only offer advice that we have been offered by specialized and I can assure you that we have search high and low to see if we have anything that would be suitable for the need but I am afraid that we do not have anything as spares. Specialized have said that they do not offer the part as a spare which I agree is not very good but I am afraid we can only offer what we have or what we can get hold of for you. This is why we suggested taking it to a local bike shop where they may be able to offer an alternative solution or advise something else that would work. Please feel free to contact Specialized via email with a complaint about not being able to source the part as spares. We as Hargroves Cycles do not keep spares like this but have really tried to find something to help.

I expect if you wrote to Specialized with a complaint then they may be able to source something but it is not something that we are in the position to be able to get.

Hope this helps and you are aware that we have spent a lot of time trying to source a solution for you but are afraid they is nothing we can offer.”

Kind Regards
    Mail Order Team Hargroves Cycles

Frankers
    Free Member

I’d be surprised if Specialized didn’t sell them as they’re normally really good with spares.

Try emailing them direct and asking for “Bolt-on down tube cable guides”

But would also suggest These may work

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It does look like the Ragley ones would work to me…

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=46327

That said, I’ve got some spares, How much are they worth to you? 😉

neallyman
    Free Member

Good work guys. Dependable as ever – the Lapierre and Ragley suggestions look spot on.

Peter, name your price I’m a desperate man lol! Email me if you want to pass some on (my emails in my profile) would appreciate that. 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ll have a look how many I’ve got when I get home (I’m working away until Friday) but I don’t want to get rid of all of them….

If you’re still stuck on Friday, drop me an email (in profile) 🙂

BoardinBob

A quick glance on the specialized site suggests just about every full bouncer in their 2011 range still has those cable clips so I’m struggling to understand why they can’t supply spares!

lucien

Get in the shop and speak to someone sensible – they must do them……

stumpy01

Have you tried ringing a spesh concept store, regarding getting original spares?
    I’d have thought they’d know for sure, or could make enquiries.

Speshpaul

Dave Mellor Cycles 01743 366662.
    They had them in stock 2 weeks ago.

seanodav
    Free Member

I picked some up in ebc before, which is my local spesh dealer.
    Your lbs cant be r’sd by looks of it

neallyman
    Free Member

That’s not my LBS by the way. I bought the bike online from HARGROVES CYCLES…one of the larger UK retailers if I’m right? Maybe a lesson in buying from the LBS next time though…

I called Dave Mellor Cycles and the girl was really helpful. So i’ll get some more of the original Specialized clips from them in the meantime but I’ll then get the Ragley ones from CRC when they’re back in stock because no doubt the Spec ones will break again anyway 😕

cheers

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Rant…and help wanted too (Specialized)’ is closed to new replies.