Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)
  • Rant of the day – burning the Guy
  • Murray

My daughter’s primary school are having a competition for best Guy to be burnt at the fireworks evening. No historical context other than he was an infamous traitor. Given the bloodbath of the reformation and counter-reformation I think that’s a bit rich.

Would the school think it acceptable to burn an effigy of a Jew rather than a Catholic? It’s traditional after all, done all over Europe for a thousand years when real Jews weren’t being burnt?

What about a Muslim? What about an Irishman?

Rant over.

Drac

Daily Mail is that way —->

tomhoward

how long has that rant been brewing? Lose sleep over it? Have you been to the local paper to voice your outrage?

hodgynd
    Free Member

Wow …get over it ..

BigJohn

Good job you don’t live in Lewes.

perchypanther
    Free Member

It’s a bold sales pitch but I think “Penny for the campaign to end the oppression of one dead guy by burning effigies of an entire race of people who are still very much alive and will probably be quite angry about it” just isn’t as snappy.

I’m out.

zippykona

I’m the victim here.
    My Poppy rant was top of the page , now someone just had to out rant me.
    Today was MY day.

Drac

Pray for zippykona.

zippykona

Go on Drac, delete his account.
    I’ll show you my invention.

revs1972
    Free Member

Can’t we just hang , draw and quarter them instead ? Would be a lot quieter 🙄

dannybgoode

Burn em all I say. And the horses they rode in on.

cranberry
    Free Member

I can’t beleive that Murray engaged in such problematic bullying of Zippykona.

We should remove all other threads from the front page so that zippy can have a safe space.

#PatriarchyInAction

wwaswas

Burn em all I say. And the horses they rode in on.

that ‘r’ next to an ‘n’ making an ‘m’ thing strikes again.

shifter
    Free Member

Would need steps.

pk13

Are dinosaurs off limits….
    Or just a Guy that’s dressed like a middle class white male in IT management.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Kryton57

imnotverygood

The point is: HE WASN’T BURNT AT THE STAKE. He was hung, drawn and quartered. I want to know why we are burning an effigy of a Catholic when we should be ritually disembowelling it instead. That’s what really boils my pee!!!

wwaswas

That’s what really boils my pee!!!

So burning at the stake boils your pee but disemboweling doesn’t? Makes sense.

outofbreath
    Free Member

The clue is in the name: primary school.

If she was doing a History Degree I’d agree “Guy Fawkes was a baddie” was an over simplistic narrative.

Having said that my Daughter (reception class) was taught that Guy Fawkes was the baddie, but he wanted to kill king because the king had been mean to him and people like him which I thought was about the right level.

nickhit3
    Free Member

primary school are having a competition for best Guy to be burnt at the fireworks evening

Hope you’re top to the list… For your daughters sake, I hope this is a wind up.

ransos
    Free Member

It’s a sad day when we can’t celebrate religious persecution, terrorism, torture and capital punishment.

theboatman
    Free Member

My kids love fires and stuff being burnt, even more so when they have made it. Oddly, my older daughter’s have now realised there may be some issue’s with the whole Guy Fawkes story, but it doesn’t appear to have caused them any mental anguish. In fact, it just opens up a path for some interesting debate, whilst all getting together for a big fire and some fireworks, food and booze. It’s great. Some folk can really suck the fun out of life.

revs1972
    Free Member

So what day are we having November the 5th this year ?
    On the Friday or the Saturday ? 🙄

Bit like the Halloween parties on the weekend just gone 😆

Murray

Having said that my Daughter (reception class) was taught that Guy Fawkes was the baddie, but he wanted to kill king because the king had been mean to him and people like him which I thought was about the right level.

That sounds the right level to me too.

Gary_M
    Free Member

how long has that rant been brewing?

Since the op started watching ‘gunpowder’ and found out what it was really about, and that he had an opportunity to be outraged.

Kryton57

So what day are we having November the 5th this year ?

Going in previous years itll last about 3 weeks, just in time for the New Years fireworks to start.

molgrips
    Free Member

The clue is in the name: primary school.

Don’t dumb it down too much. These kids can watch movies and understand the plots with a bit of prompting, and have been listening to stories their whole lives.

Just tell the story. You don’t have to dissect the theological and political implications of it, but it’s pretty straightforward to give the kids a bit of background. My 8yo already knows about the reformation because we explained it when she did Henry VIII at school. He didn’t like the Pope telling him what to do. So now we know about Protestants and Catholics, and they didn’t like each other cos they argued a lot.

teadrinker
    Free Member

Are we allowed to just award ourselves the “Rant of the Day” title.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Well you’ve all just knackered the suspense in my Saturday night viewing

brakes
    Free Member

to be fair, I think celebrating anyone being burned alive and celebrating people bombing other people is pretty horrific.

dragon
    Free Member

Can we bring it up to date and torture the ‘guy’ at a CIA black Ops site and then blow it up from a distance with a Brimstone missile fired from a drone?

smell_it
    Free Member

To be fair, I’m not sure people are ‘celebrating’ those things, I think most people are just observing a custom/ tradition for the sake of having a nice time. As noted by those above, this can actually facilitate some discussion on the subject, which could itself be positive in many ways.

soobalias
    Free Member

im pretty sure last year, guy forks just tried to blow up parliament and we celebrated his efforts. not convinced about the imaginary deity spin tbh but its a bit different.

johndoh
    Free Member

He wasn’t burnt alive for being of a particular faith, but for trying to blow up Parliament.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Does your daughter think it’s a travesty, or does she just want to have fun building a cool scarecrow they can burn and win a prize?

Drac

He wasn’t burnt alive for being of a particular faith, but for trying to blow up Parliament.

He wasn’t burnt alive.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The point is: HE WASN’T BURNT AT THE STAKE. He was hung, drawn and quartered. I want to know why we are burning an effigy of a Catholic when we should be ritually disembowelling it instead. That’s what really boils my pee!!!

He wasn’t hung drawn and quartered either. He jumped off the scaffold and broke his neck to avoid it.

Drac

He wasn’t hung drawn and quartered either. He jumped off the scaffold and broke his neck to avoid it.

Errrr! He was.

I think some of you need to see Molgrips after school.

tomhoward

I thought the burning of him was to represent what would have happened, had he succeeded? To give him what he wanted, sort of.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Rant of the day – burning the Guy’ is closed to new replies.