Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Rant: Fixies
  • Earl
    Free Member

The trendy crowd – nude drop bars, flip flop or 3' heals riding at 3mph. Muppets.

psychle
    Free Member

that's not a rant… pathetic effort, 0/10 🙄

speaker2animals

Why? Who knows it could mean a few of them end up taking up cycling. So job done! One less car indeed!

And relax!

IanMunro
    Free Member

Damm straight Earl!
    Everyone knows heels have to be at least 4".

tails
    Free Member

that was the worst **** rant ever more of a whimper. Whilst they are very strange bikes if people decide to ditch the car, tube, bus then that is good.

convert

Whilst I have no problem with fixed wheeled bikes (I've got one myself that was used for a good few years as a winter trainer, but now has flat bars on to ride around the village and to the paper shop) I do for some reason have a problem with the term "fixie". Couldn't tell you why – just sounds a bit carp! I guess I'm from the old school roadie background of using fixeds as a winter training tool, and "fixie" just sounds a bit fashionista.

JoB
    Free Member

fixie rants are soooo last year dahling

Earl
    Free Member

Nude drop bars – no control
    No brakes – no control
    Flip Flops / 3' heals – no control (how do you slow down?)

If you are out in the middle of nowhere – fine, but in the middle of the city – why is this ok?

Atleast in a car you are a licenced driver with a MOT

No problem with most fixie riders – more skill than I will ever have. But the recent crop who are following the 'in thing' are just counter productive to cycling in general.

z1ppy

I know I should live and let live as their cyclists, but the **** with his fixie and little cycle cap I see in the morning make me want to run him over… sorry, but it DOES!

I'm such a nice chap normally, but it's that cap, dunno why.

Haze

Nude drop bars – no control
    No brakes – no control
    Flip Flops / 3' heals – no control (how do you slow down?)

Can't see how it'a problem if…

riding at 3mph

😕

CaptJon
    Free Member

I just look disappointed and shake my head whenever i pass one – it does for their ego which is the poser's achilles heel.

Nico
    Free Member

I regularly have to run the gauntlet of people riding singlespeed bikes in inappropriate clothing – BMXer with stupid hairnet style hats, trousers round their ankles and knees round their chins as they hoon around the cyclepaths which double as footpaths in my local town. That and the old buffers on mobility scooters who think they're entitled to use them at full speed because they can't walk too easily. Fixies on the road, going slowly? That'll always be the dream.

69er
    Free Member

I've been commuting on a fixed gear bike for years. 1000's of miles with no maintanece – great :D!

I love the arty shots of the bikes, they can have such simplistic beauty. There are some photos online of people in fancy dress 'old skool' stylee 8O. They are so funny, how could you possibly criticise? It's not as if they're hurting anybody!

Post some pics, go on go on. Caps are KOOL!

69er
    Free Member

ANd why don't my smilies work? 🙁

69er
    Free Member

Ha de ha!

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

JoB – Member
    fixie rants are soooo last year dahling

Indeed, fixies is like well wicked, tis all about the Arrospok innit, boyakasha!

http://aycu05.webshots.com/image/45324/2001489975006749620_rs.jpg

MrSmith
    Free Member

I just look disappointed and shake my head whenever i pass one – it does for their ego which is the poser's achilles heel.

are you really that conceited? do you really think they give a toss what you think?

Strangelove
    Free Member

nude drop bars, flip flop or 3' heals

I have absolutely no problem with this sort of thing at all 🙂

However, there was a bloke who lived over the road from me, gold coloured Charge plug, narrow riser bars, four spoke aero front wheel.
    Nob
    and he had one of those caps
    Double nob

darrell
    Free Member
    MrSmith
    Free Member

and he had one of those caps
    Double nob

what a road cap? one of those caps that keeps the sweat out of your eyes and has a peak that you can flip up or down to shade the rain or sun?

or a baseball/trucker cap despite never playing baseball or driving a truck?

samuri
    Free Member

/snigger.

That girl's sat on her bike the wrong way round. Fixie riders are so stupid!

aracer
    Free Member

She's obviously a trick rider who rides sitting on the handlebars and pedalling backwards. You are so clueless, samuri.

Strangelove
    Free Member

what a road cap? one of those caps that keeps the sweat out of your eyes and has a peak that you can flip up or down to shade the rain or sun?

Err..Now you mention it, yes, a road cap.
    Still looked a nob though

StumpyBlurRider
    Free Member

but i luv fixy gals who ride round london in mini skirts,i i'am lookin at your tiny handle bars..honest

MrSmith
    Free Member

Still looked a nob though

uh-huh. you are so right.

higgo
    Free Member

Here's mine. I enjoy riding it.
    Must get a cap.

rj
    Free Member

GAAAAAAAH!!!!!

DAMN them and their SKINNY jeaned, FloPPy fringed, poncing twatINESS. They keep trying to do weeeeelies outside my flat and then falling on their arses (OK, I admit there is a degree of entertainment value there). Then they act holier thanTHOU!!!!!! when you turn left at a set of lights while they were busy underTAKING and ignoring the highway code.

Also they're all slightly condescending to pensioners, rude to badgers and they buy really cheap pedals.

I feel that was a far superior effort.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Riding bikes is good. End of

CaptJon
    Free Member

MrSmith needs to relax.

CountZero

Bloke I work with rides a fixie to and from home. He's in his late 50's, and the bike is a Viking, with chrome rims, steel cottered cranks and chrome steel pedals. He rides from Grittleton which is around eight miles on country lanes and he does it in around 22 minutes. The bike is one he had at university and was in a shed until six months ago, and it was second-hand when he got it thirty-odd years ago. Oh, and it's got nude bars as well. Want to have a go at him for his 'niche-ness'?

sc-xc

I ride my bike from home to work most days, probably just over 9 miles each way. It stays outside all night, and outside work all day. The only thing I have replaced is tyres/brake pads and 1 chain. It never gets maintained, looks shite and does the job. And it's fixed. Does that make me a muppet?

MrSmith
    Free Member

MrSmith needs to relax.

really? only a prick would get worked up by something they read on an internet forum.

bedmaker

You'll be chuffed to know that lastnight I made my fixed wheel bicycle much more fashionable by removing half the brakes and fitting some chopped down risers.
    Turned it from this pile of steaming turd

into this slightly less steaming pile of turd

Carbon risers had a nasty gouge so were no longer of use for off road and therefore ripe for chopping.
    Bike is now easily identifiable as a mtb'ers fixed by the XT rear hub, Hope front, monkeylites, Titec Ti post and OO saddle 🙂

Riding at 3mph is not easy, it seems to encourage you to go flat out as much as possible.
    Cheap pedals, Check!

sc-xc

^ tbf, I'm with you on this one MrSmith. Although saying that, I don't think I could bear being on the receiving end of one of CaptJon's disapproving expressions….

racing_ralph
    Free Member

There is a bloke who rides a fixie round here – 40+ miles a day every day in the peak – call him a tvvat i dare ya!! – he is 75 years old!

CaptJon
    Free Member

^ tbf, I'm with you on this one MrSmith. Although saying that, I don't think I could bear being on the receiving end of one of CaptJon's disapproving expressions….

Don't worry, you'd not get one, unless you were in 3 inch heels of course.

sc-xc

that's me **** then 😉

Earl
    Free Member

I ride my bike from home to work most days, probably just over 9 miles each way. It stays outside all night, and outside work all day. The only thing I have replaced is tyres/brake pads and 1 chain. It never gets maintained, looks shite and does the job. And it's fixed. Does that make me a muppet?

If you ride in flip flops and go 3mph because you know you cant stop if you go any faster – then yes, your a muppet.

No problem with fixies – (in awe of London courier riders) but some people are just victims of fashion and just plain unsafe.

sc-xc

here's a shot of part of my boutique fixed bike….pretty pimpy eh? 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

Shoes have heels, by the way.

Young people doing something cool annoying middle aged bloke shock.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Rant: Fixies’ is closed to new replies.