Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Random question about shower standby switches… do they use power?
  • poppa
    Free Member

I’m living in a rented property and the shower has a standby that is operated by a pull-cord. The shower is then turned on/off by a button in the shower.

Recently the standby has become jammed – I can’t turn the shower off standby, and an LED is constantly lit.

My question: Does this mean the shower is using an appreciable/significant amount of power, or is it more akin to a standby on a TV set?

I know it must be doing something and need ot get it fixed, I just hope we don’t end up with a big bill because of it.

5lab

I think they have to be there to cut power to the shower in case something goes horribly wrong/person is getting electricuted.

Should be considered wear and tear on a rented place. phone the landlord, get them to sort it

MrNutt
    Free Member

by the time you get home the shower will have exploded. expect the worst.

IanMunro
    Free Member

If it’s not getting warm, then it’s not using a significant amount of power.

poppa
    Free Member

Brilliant, thanks guys.

Liftman

The contacts in the pull cord switch have fused together. Due to the high current a shower uses (30-50A) and if the shower is switched off by the pull cord rather than the shower switch the contacts can burn out or weld together which is what yours seems to have done.
    Personally i wouldnt use the shower now until a spark has checked/fixed the problem.
    Remeber electricty and water and you standing butt naked in the aformentioned water aint a good mix 😉

user-removed
    Free Member

I had to replace my switch last year – just unscrewed it (isolated power first, obviously!), took it down to B&Q, bought exactly the same one and fitted it in ten mins – and I’m a right cack-handed barsteward.

On a related note, can anyone guess at why my electric shower has suddenly started alternating between normal temperature and freezing cold?! It’s not usually affected by taps / washing machine / dishwasher. Sorry for the hijack….

Olly
    Free Member

i would have thought, the only power That switch is using is the little orange neon, which will be chuff all.
    whether the shower has a converter in it (like in a laptop, or computer, or TV or anything else not 240V) is another matter, as that WILL use power even if the shower isnt on.

Olly
    Free Member

i would have thought, the only power That switch is using is the little orange neon, which will be chuff all.
    whether the shower has a converter in it (like in a laptop, or computer, or TV or anything else not 240V) is another matter, as that WILL use power even if the shower isnt on.

we leave ours on al the time.

jp-t853

If it is stuck I would replace it with the correct size I.e. 10.8kw = 10800/240v = 45amps minimum. People/electricians often under spec the switch.

Most electricians I know just leave it on all the time as they often break due to the high power surges during switching on and off. They use chuff all power in standby as someone said and the glow might save you turning the light on during the night.

showerman
    Free Member

user removed, if your shower was suddenly going really hot then i would suspect low water pressure if it just suddenly goes cold as you say then i would be looking at a thermal cutout or scale related problem causing thermal cut out to trip

user-removed
    Free Member

showerman – yes exactly that – just goes cold before slowly returning to normal (set) temp. A bit of afternoon Googling told me I should be replacing the TCO, which I’m guessing is what you’re referring to above (thermal cut out).

The hose is also a bit borked where it meets the showerhead – might the increased pressure cause the TCO to trip?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Random question about shower standby switches… do they use power?’ is closed to new replies.