Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Random… how easy is it to fit a carpet yourself?
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Finally nearing the end of decorating the last of the spare rooms (after 6 years in the house!) and it needs a new carpet. Want to try and save as much money as possible and just get it finished so how easy/hard is it to fit a carpet? Room is about 12ft x 12ft but has two alcoves either side of a chimney breast.

PITA or easy enough? Any tricks of the trade and/or essential tools? Already has underlay down so thats fine…

Cheers
    Dave

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Easy to mess up.

I’d get someone in myself. (but then I’d say that anyway)

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Like everything it’s easy if you know how.

I have done easy square rooms but never stairs ect…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Does the room also have grippers down?

It is relatively easy to lay, but getting it nice and flat is trickier – you really need kickers to pull it nice and taught and it is also easier if your skirting will allow the carpet to tuck under it.

I laid my own carpet in my bedroom aged 16 and it went down okay really.

But if it were me, I wouldn’t put new carpet on old underlay especially if it is 6 years+ old.

A kicker earlier…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Like much stuff its relativly easy for the amateur to do quickly or well. The pro will do booth.

for the cost of a pro fitter I would use one myself

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ohh and as for tools – a wide cold chisel (3” + ) does a good job of feeding the carpet under the skirting but clean it first 😉

Don’t use a screwdriver or you will risk ruining the carpet before you even lay it.

Mintman
    Free Member

Yeah it’s easy enough to do an ok job. It’ll take a bit/lot longer than a pro and it won’t be quite as good but if you’re happy with that then go for it

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ohh and another thing – if you are doing it yourself make sure you measure carefully.

Then check again.

Then do another measure to be on the safe side.

Then check.

Then cut. (But just check first).

With a nice NEW blade.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I use sharp knife blades. They are cheese compared to the lads I know who fit carpet. You need those ones with a curly pointy blade. Otherwise it’s very easy for your cut to run out on you.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’ll take a bit/lot longer than a pro and it won’t be quite as good

Like me and my flooring. DD where were you in 2007? 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Probably not wasting as much time on here Molly 😀

Gary_M
    Free Member

As others have said it’s easy enough to do to an okay standard.

meehaja
    Free Member

dead easy…. lay out new carpet measured to roughly what you need (over estimate) put old carpet on top, cut round it (leaving an inch or so round each edge. Roll up new carpet, take it upstairs and lay it down. trim edges with a sharp stanley knife. If it starts to drag, change the blade. Expect to get through a few blades.

A bit of carpet glue and proper door strips will keep it in place.

A pro standard job will involve gripers and those tools above, but I’ve never used them, and its always looked fine. Though I’m due to do some stairs soon, so might need to invest, as I don’t fancy carpet on the stairs moving at all!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Random… how easy is it to fit a carpet yourself?’ is closed to new replies.