Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Random frame question, alu vs ti vs carbon
  • mattyfez

Assuming the frames are identical in build size /dimensions /geometry, what are the general pros and cons of each? Purely from a ride point of view, not cost.

Very open ended question but an interesting one, any opinions?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Vertical compliance and lateral stiffness innit…

Northwind

Varies loads tbh, construction’s as important. You can have a relatively flexy/comfy alu frame, a stiff ti frame…

But the cliches do often bear out basically because of marketing/selection- manufacturers know comfort/flex/give sells titanium, frinstance, and people tend to expect stiff aluminium. Steel’s a bit harder because so many steel frames are basically lumps- we tend to think of the springy feel of a posh lightweight 853 number or old Kona or something but it just doesn’t apply to so many steel frames. Tube thickness I think? Whatever it was that made me love my Soul was just completely missing from my BFe. My Ragley Ti and alu Ragley Mmmbop totally fulfilled the cliches.

Carbon’s the wildcard because it can be anything you want it to be.

All in all, you’ve kind of got to ride the bike to know.

cookeaa

Too open ended as a question IMO, application should drive choices, just because you eliminate cost as a factor doesn’t mean a straight forward answer either…

You forgot steel by the way 😉

pitduck
    Free Member

what Northwind said 8)

Northwind

It’s one of my Reasonable Answers, I use them to offset the stuff when I’m just throwing poo.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep. depends what your doing, why and for what…

At the moment I love my carbon bikes though, a very versatile material that can be made to do a lot of things very well. Also being a carbon santa cruz it can elevate the blood pressure of people in here just by being close to them 😉 Most need medication if they see them at Llandegla

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Random frame question, alu vs ti vs carbon’ is closed to new replies.