Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares USA
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Anyone else watching this? I’m struggling to believe it’s real.

chvck
    Free Member

Every episode is the exact same formula! I’ve watched every episode to date and I really don’t know why, it’s quite awful!

br
    Free Member

I am now.

molgrips
    Free Member

I sometimes like stuff like this, the Alex Polizzi one for example, cos it’s all about the psychology. How people can struggle with their job and business and why, and how they either deal with their issues or live in denial.

However this all looks a bit theatrical and set up, tbh.

tomhoward

Don’t they put a disclaimer in right at the start (or end) saying that some or all of the events have been added for dramatic effect? I’ve not watched it in a few yrs though.

chvck
    Free Member

I don’t think that it is set up as they have episodes where he’s on radio talking to the host etc… about places. I think that it’s very, very selectively edited etc.. and that they pick the places pretty carefully.

EDIT: “Don’t they put a disclaimer in right at the start (or end) saying that some or all of the events have been added for dramatic effect?” That wouldn’t surprise me either.

molgrips
    Free Member

Fair play, I can cook better than that.

binners

In common with most American programmes, I find it really handy that they have a voice-over every 5 minutes to remind me what has happened so far, with a selection of short dramatic clips to re-enforce the narrative

Its really helpful as I generally tend to forget everything that’s happened more than 3 minutes previously. This makes watching in-depth, thought-provoking and gently nuanced programming like Ramsey’s Kitchen Nightmares difficult to follow sometimes. So thanks for that producers

chakaping
    Free Member

In common with most American programmes, I find it really handy that they have a voice-over every 5 minutes to remind me what has happened so far, with a selection of short dramatic clips to re-enforce the narrative

And they tell you what’s going to happen after the break in greater detail than they actually show it after the break (presumably because there was no running time left).

I watched a few episodes when it started, nearly melted my brain trying to keep up with the mind-bending time structre.

I suspect Christopher Nolan directs them.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s because they have 15 mins of adverts then 3 mins of programme, so the voice over is to remind you what’s going on after you’ve had your brain programmed to buy car insurance and sausages.

thepurist

binners – you forgot the ever present background music that’s carefully composed to reflect the mood of the programme at that time, thereby saving you the effort of trying to interpret or understand what’s going on.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

You do realise its all staged?

gonzy
    Free Member

i used to like the bit where he would go rummaging around the walk in freezers looking for rotting food….he doesn’t seem to do that any more…

mechmonkey
    Free Member

cos it’s all about the psychology

I enjoy it for this reason too. It does amaze me how stuck in their ways people become, with destructive results for their business and relationships. There was one in NY(I think) about a father who stole his sons inheritance to sink 1/4mil into the business. That was interesting to watch how Ramsay sculpted the new restaurant around the kid and empowered him. Sending his father to stay only behind the bar.

His solution to the restaurants various problems are all pretty simple and similar. Smaller menu, local fresh produce, simple dishes cooked to order, clean crisp decor and 10-20k worth of POS digital ordering/stock tracking computerwhizzery and new kitchen burners/grills etc. PR stunt, usually just him being there is enough but sometimes using local radio to drum up curiosity. Et voila, restaurant brought up to date and functioning profitably.

molgrips
    Free Member

You do realise its all staged?

If you read the thread, that’s my point.

i used to like the bit where he would go rummaging around the walk in freezers looking for rotting food.

He found some onions this time.

I think it is perhaps mostly real, but very heavily embellished and scripted in the US versions at least. They seem to favour drama and fireworks over actual reality content. I can’t imagine that chef was actually like that.

His solution to the restaurants various problems are all pretty simple and similar.

Of course – don’t serve shit, stop bickering and start working effectively and professionally, and make the place look nice. Simple innit.

Solo
    Free Member

Its really helpful as I generally tend to forget everything that’s happened more than 3 minutes previously.

So this explains the number of posts you make on STW.
    😉

gonzy
    Free Member

He found some onions this time.

yesss!! its on series link so i’ll watch it when i get home tonight…..i’m soooo excited(!)

ratherbeintobago

Don’t like the American version at all. The UK one was much more interesting/less irritatingly edited etc.

scotroutes

Shouldn’t this thead have SPOILER in the title?

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

its pulp tv, you turn off for an hour and enjoy. if you expect anything else turn over, no-one makes you watch stuff.

i love the show, watched it for years now, last nights was defnitely one of the very best ever. i did’nt think it could have gotten better than the guy in the last series who used his son’s trust fund to buy a burger restaurant, but it did!

p.s. duck dynasty on biography channel (friday nightand repeated sunday) i have also just discovered, i really don’t care that it may not be actually real. it makes me laugh!

DezB
    Free Member

The only entertainment for me was the tension when old wrinkly face would get all sweary and front up to some large mafioso type Italian American chef geezer who no doubt had a handgun stashed in one of his fridges.
    After a couple of episodes it became obvious that it was all staged and no Smith & Wesson was going to get jammed into his ear’ole. So I got bored and watched other stuff.

jimification
    Free Member

1) Man can’t cook or manage money.
    2) Ramsay arrives, demands to see the testicles of man.
    3) Man and Ramsay stare each other down. Ramsay break him like an egg!!!
    4) Broken man is rebuilt – this time with proper testicles like they should be.
    5) Production team drum up trade for the restaurant – Finally, there is money! – everyone is friendly & happy!
    6) Now the best of friends, it is time for Ramsay to give a big man hug and move on, like that dog in “the littlest hobo“.

gonzy
    Free Member

the trailer for the next episode shows Ramsay doing some fridge raiding and finding all sorts of dodgy stuff…apparently one of the customers ends up in the toilet being violently sick and in need of an ambulance…
    whether the cause of this sickness was the food or the staged cheesiness of the show itself…….we’ll find out when we tune in next week!!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares USA’ is closed to new replies.