Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 183 total)
  • ramblers = tossers
  • SD-253
    Free Member

retro83 – Member
    Ramblers who make comments like in the OP clearly don’t know their history.

It is illegal to cycle on a footpath in fact it is clearly stated on OS maps I have one in my hand now.

Really? Mine doesn’t. What’s the wording?
    Well for a start off moron the word FOOTPATH also further down it says byway open to all traffic a clear statement that others are not. Also as there are stiles on a footpath then the farmer would be breaking the law if cyclist were allowed to use it…as it is illegal to block a right of way. And of course there is something called the highways act which clearly states it

trailmonkey

i’m loving dangleberry’s work

a class act 8)

luked2
    Free Member

There are grumpy people in the world. They like to prove that they are superior. Unlike normal people who just go on internet forums and slag each other off, some of these grumps mix rambling and grumbling.

It’s probably a genetic thing.

SD-253
    Free Member

trailmonkey – Member
    Just do really loud skids when behind them. Not only will it alert them to the fact that you are coming through at speed but it is also likely to excite lady ramblers and will help scrape away the peaty bits off moorland trails and expose the rocky good stuff underneath

Monkey is certainly an appropriate name for you!

luked2
    Free Member

Well for a start off moron the word FOOTPATH <snip> a right of way.

How do ramblers now have the right to ramble across places like Kinder Scout?

Have they always had that right, since time immemorial, or is perhaps just a recently acquired one?

nuke

A polite ting ting from 30 yards away, then a ” thank you” as they let you by.

I have never had anyone complain about using a bell, I have been thanked numerous times for using one, I really missed it when for a couple of weeks I did not have one.

Got to agree with TJ on these comments…bells work imo and I’m often thanked for having one.

SD-253
    Free Member

luked2 – Member

Well for a start off moron the word FOOTPATH <snip> a right of way.

How do ramblers now have the right to ramble across places like Kinder Scout?

Have they always had that right, since time immemorial, or is perhaps just a recently acquired one?

Hi this was a law introduced by Labour called “open access” the first place it was introduced was near Clitheroe on land owned by the Queen. It is the intention to introduced it on all land which is (sorry can’t remember the right terminology) but basically land which is allowed to grow wild (a bit of an iffy definition) but think of moorland that type of land. Not entirely in favor of it as I often find there is adequate footpaths in there area anyway. Also there is a fair bit more to this legislation like periods of time when this is not allowed (phesant shooting season for instance). Also there must be clearly defined boundaries (dry stone walls Clitheroe) and clearly defined entrace points. I could go on but I am sure you get the picture?

13thfloormonk

you’re very thorough with your responses aren’t you bbj?

Well not really, since brindlebaji seems to have quoted me quoting someone else, and then got three of us confused as the same jock. 0/10 trolling there.

SD-253
    Free Member

littlegirlbunny – Member
    We saw a good deal of ramblers at Malvern today – 99% smiled and were lovely.

The one that wasn’t? She stated firmly that ‘you are not allowed to ride on this, THIS IS A BRIDLEWAY!’

How we chuckled
    Wow littlegirlbunny are you serious? It beggers belief that this person could be so stupid

pitduck
    Free Member

first time ive seen anybody manage to shut tj up, brandeberryj you are my hero 😀

luked2
    Free Member

Hi this was a law introduced by Labour called “open access”

I was really thinking a bit further back than then. Kinder Trespass was in 1932 – and we all got the right to ramble on Kinder Scout thanks to some people walking where they shouldn’t have been.

So doesn’t that make it somewhat hypocritical of ramblers to complain about cyclists on footpaths (if they’re not doing any harm or being dangerous)?

To be fair, 99% of the people I meet are perfectly civil.

cynic-al
    Free Member

TJ how is it a fact that ramblers get startled by being spoken to from behind? Have you conducted a statistically relevant survey you’ve not told us about?

I tried a bell. My experience was that ramblers didn’t hear it when they were talking. I took it off.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I have never heard so much rubbish in all my life

I take it you’ve not read many of TJ’s posts then?

I don’t use a bell for a few reasons:
    – all that ping, pinging strikes of arrogance and seems rather rude
    – I’ve got a voice so don’t need a bell
    – I’ve got hope hubs which are probably noisier than a bell anyway
    – A lot of the walkers/runners have headphones on (or are deaf) so wouldn’t hear the bell anyway.

SD-253
    Free Member

Zulu-Eleven – Member

It is illegal to cycle on a footpath in fact it is clearly stated on OS maps I have one in my hand now.

Please, please brandeberryj, stop now before you embarrass yourself any further…

An excellent counter arguement?? Thats irony by the way

epicsteve
    Free Member

Teh fact that the ramblers expect a bell

Why would they expect a bell, given 99.993% of cyclists don’t use one and it’s not a legal requirement that they do?

I walk more than I cycle and would never “expect” a cyclist to have a bell.

rubberneck
    Free Member

FOG HORNS MAKE BIDDYS DIVE INTO BUSHES,,,,,, **** HIL-AIR-IOUS.

SD-253
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    TJ how is it a fact that ramblers get startled by being spoken to from behind? Have you conducted a statistically relevant survey you’ve not told us about?

I tried a bell. My experience was that ramblers didn’t hear it when they were talking. I took it off.

Quite right all that is reasonably required is for them (cyclist)to let a walker know there coming past. I am quite often startled by a cyclist no matter what method they use. BIG DEAL so what? It is not like you are being shot at. Is the idiot TJ saying farmer Giles should not use a bird scarer??? Because they will certainly startle you a hell off a lot more than a cyclist letting you know he is there no matter what method he is using to do so.

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

My grandmother used to complain about cyclists never using their bells. We went for a walk and promptly a cyclist came up behind and rang their bell and I stood aside while my grandmother kept walking. The cyclist went around her and then she turned to me and said: “See there was another one!”

Getting walkers attention very early on, leads cyclist not to slow down enough when passing them, as you might have got the impression that they have spent a long time waiting for you to catch them up so you better overtake them quickly to let them get on with it…then they get cross because you have gone too fast.

SD-253
    Free Member

rubberneck – Member
    FOG HORNS MAKE BIDDYS DIVE INTO BUSHES,,,,,, **** HIL-AIR-IOUS.

Hi rubberneck
    You must tell me are all the members of your family retarded?

allthepies
    Free Member

The local coffin dodgers round my way can’t hear a bell even if I had one salvaged from the Titanic fitted to my frame so TJ’s “just ring a bell from a couple of km away” comments are pure BULLSHINE.

FACT!

epicsteve
    Free Member

TJ’s “just ring a bell from a couple of km away” comments are pure BULLSHINE

Fixed that for you… 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

epicsteve – Member

I don’t use a bell for a few reasons:
    – all that ping, pinging strikes of arrogance and seems rather rude

I agree with you but my experience is that walkers prefer it. Look at all the folk who have had people complaining you don’t have a bell. I think the key is to use the bell a distance away and then to say thanks as you pass

– I’ve got a voice so don’t need a bell

However you can use a bell from much further away than you can use your voice unless you shout – which is then rude

– I’ve got hope hubs which are probably noisier than a bell anyway

To some extent – but it doesn’t work uphill and again walkers expect a bell.

– A lot of the walkers/runners have headphones on (or are deaf) so wouldn’t hear the bell anyway.

some – but the rest do

One of the biggest complaints against cyclists ( along with pavement riding and red light jumping) is they don’t use bells. So why not use one?

It really does help smooth the way in my experience and that of many others –

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

How you guys can say a bell does not work when you don’t use one is rather funny.

I ride most days on shared paths, use a bell a lot and it smooths the way – when used politely and backed with thanks once you have attracted their attention.

Waht is your reason for not wanting to have one?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

generally agree with the OP’s sweeping statement!

ive had mixed ones though, to a couple of ramblers being really nice and friendly, to a couple of ramblers being absoulte arseholes, i have also had a group of ramblers refuse to acknowledge i was even there (on a bridleway) i waiting patiently for all to pass, and not a one of the sods bothered to say thanks…..ive also had numerous occasions where, i was already on a descent, they have refused to move aside making me come to a stop (YES i understand, why should they move, but its a wide section which would be easy for walkers to move aside, not so for the mtb’er)….

the negative experiences far outweigh the positives ive had from them, so i would say the majority are tossa’s

i also spoke to couple today, said hello (proper ramblers, hiking socks the lot) and they totally totally blanked me, .we were in the middle of nowhere, and no one else around….not even a HELLO! tossa’s!

that said ill still always say hi if pass and try to make the effort…if they turn arsey, then its verbal war time!

rubberneck
    Free Member

ANYBODY WHOS MTB’D IN GERMANY WILL NOTice how its so different over there to here,,,, almost as if the walkers are sorry for getting in your way and the lads/lasses on bikes almost curse you for being on their trails, my experiance of over there anyway,,,,,, thinking of emigrating me.

epicsteve
    Free Member

How you guys can say a bell does not work when you don’t use one is rather funny.

I used to have one on my commuter bike, found it to be next to useless, so don’t fit one now. I’m a very polite rider though, however if I was one of those arrogant ones who pings their bell and expects walkers to jump out of their way then my view might differ…

Far too many people don’t hear or have headphones on, so it’s necessary to act as if they haven’t heard anyway. Even pinging from a good distance back people often seemed startled by the bell.

cynic-al
    Free Member

So TJ you are speaking from your experience alone…and that’s better than the experience of the various people who are disagreeing with you?

Funny I recall you slating me for something similar recently…

One of the biggest complaints against cyclists ( along with pavement riding and red light jumping) is they don’t use bells.

Any evidence for that for example?

cubemeup
    Free Member

i had a case the other week with rambblers standing in the middle of the briddle way about 15-20 of them. did move or attempt top move. one stood there with his hands on his hips so i stopped and had a little word only tyo find out he was and english man telling a welsh man i shouldnt be riding there!! it was my local ride and on common land, i think of he wasnt 50+ i might of given him a swift lefty!!
    please note nothing against english but im sure an english man wouldnt like a welsh lad to say to stop riding in his land!!

epicsteve
    Free Member

I used to live in Germany and did ride a bike while there (not mountain biking but certainly on shared paths). Quite a lot of their cyclists were like TJ – they thought that once they’d pinged their bell they were within their rights to fly past without slowing down, not caring for who they endangered.

M6TTF
    Free Member

In my 20 years of riding I can’t recall a walker ever commenting that I shouldve had a bell. I either shout a polite ‘excuse me please’ or if they don’t hear then just slow down until they notice me, then thank them for mving over. Most of them are fine, it’s only in bad weather when they’re togged up like they’re going up the north face of the eiger that they don’t hear you. No chance of me ever fitting a bell, it’s not a penny farthing!

druidh
    Free Member

Most walkers I meet are intrigued / impressed by seeing MTBers on some of the trails. I really don’t know where all this supposed aggro comes from.

2wheels1guy
    Free Member

brandeberryj

…you have no idea whatsoever what they do in the rest of Europe and you should keep your snidey racist remarks to yourself.

But you’re quite happy to use the term “nasty little jock”

Calling someone “retarded” isn’t cool either.

You seem to have quite an empty head perched on that well chipped shoulders of yours.

Troll/idiot of the year.

nuke

I’m still agreeing with TJ 😛

To me having a bell is an additional way of alerting walkers to your presence and can be used further away than voice (The earlier walkers are aware of your presence the better in my mind). A bell won’t work everytime and therefore you can use your voice but, in the majority, it does work.

Plus to those that say a bell is rude/arrogant (Not that anyone has ever complained about me having a bell), I would have thought shouting loud enough to be heard from 30yards away is far ruder sounding than tinging a bell.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

epicsteve – that is not what I do. Wahtever gives you that idea? I am very polite as anyone who rides with me will agree.

Thats just typical – make up something to attack people with when yo know you do not have an answer.

druidh
    Free Member

nuke – Member
    I would have thought shouting loud enough to be heard from 30yards away is far ruder sounding than tinging a bell.

Not, apparently, if you do it in a humorous way.

SD-253
    Free Member

luked2 – Member

Hi this was a law introduced by Labour called “open access”

I was really thinking a bit further back than then. Kinder Trespass was in 1932 – and we all got the right to ramble on Kinder Scout thanks to some people walking where they shouldn’t have been.

So doesn’t that make it somewhat hypocritical of ramblers to complain about cyclists on footpaths (if they’re not doing any harm or being dangerous)?

To be fair, 99% of the people I meet are perfectly civil.
    No! still illegal. Once a law is introduced then that changes everything. If what you say is right any trespass would have lead to the right to ramble. So what probably happened was a law was introduced to stop further trespass. Remember judges interpret the law then parliament decided to introduce something to stop that particular interpretation. Furthermore all rights of way are a product of trespass they are the result of people taking shortcuts to get to work or the shop or even the pub (note during the industrial revolution small factories were everywhere so farmer Giles just gave in and let people use his land as a shortcut) and as I have constantly stated cyclist or not in the habit of using footpaths anyway.

rubberneck
    Free Member

B-BERRY, WHY WOULD ALL THE MEMBERS OF MY FAMILY BE RETARDED BECAUSE I HAVE GROWN SICK OF BEING TOLD TO USE A BELL BY ‘DAILY MAIL READING’ BIDDYS ONLY TO FIND THEM TO ‘JUMP OUT OF THE WAY’ AS MUCH AS IF THEY HAVE NOT HEARD ONE,,,, THE AMOUNTG OF TIMES I HAVE CRAWLED UP TO A GROUP OF WALKERS ONLY TO HEAR ONE OF THE GROUP HISTERICALY SCREAM ”BIKE” AND WATCH THEM DIVE INTO BUSHES LIKE ITS A RAMPAGING BULL,,,, YOu (whoops capslock) cannot win.

PS for you information i have a cousin who has downs syndrome,,, PRICK.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Swift kick to the back of the knee, they go down like a sack of spuds and create awesome additional trail obstacles for your following mates

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

druidh – Member

Most walkers I meet are intrigued / impressed by seeing MTBers on some of the trails. I really don’t know where all this supposed aggro comes from.

On the urban shared trails and in englandshire mainly 😉

It seems to me that he further north, ( maybe further from London) the further from the towns and the worse the weather the better respoonse you get from walkers.

Only had one tiny bit of aggro even in the pentlands/ Never out in the mountains, a bit on the north edinburgh cycleway / urban WOL path

epicsteve
    Free Member

I really don’t know where all this supposed aggro comes from.

The only place I occasionally see issues are on the WOL shared path, and when that does happen it’s just due to one or both parties being incosiderate.

One one hand there are the TJ types who ping-ping-ping their self-important way down expecting everyone to move over so they can maintain their speed, then there are the walkers and runners (especially the latter) with headphones on who never look behind and are known to swerve at in-opportune moments. Add to that some MTBers who ride home from the Pentlands like they were being timed on a downhill course (and treat walkers and other cyclists as obstacles), plus groups of (often middle-aged) walkers actively looking to be offended (even when they’ve heard a bell or bike coming up behind they won’t give any consideration).

I tend to avoid the WOL at weekends in the summer…

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 183 total)

The topic ‘ramblers = tossers’ is closed to new replies.