Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 183 total)
  • ramblers = tossers
  • parkesie
    Free Member

Im not listening to anyone who uses teh and da as instead of the bell or no bell.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

BikePawl – Member

So TJ am I in the wrong for not having a bell and shouting Ting-a-ling from a suitable distance behind them?

I’d rather yo use a bell but the humour and the distance away you do it helps. I have seen people grump at you for not having a bell

SD-253
    Free Member

Singlespeed_Shep – Member
    I would if they where in the midlle of the road like the Rambler is with a bike, Plus my bike doesn’t make as much noise as my car.

Lost your point Singlespeed_Shep? I am saying if you are passing a pedestrian on a narrow country lane let him know you are there it makes no difference wherever they are in the middle of the road or not they can still step into your path.

like the Rambler is with a bike,

what are you on about?? Let me say it again let them you are there by saying coming past AGAIN I say there is no reason whatsoever to have a bell. NONE

druidh
    Free Member

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I have never had a problem with this. Good manners help.

skinnysteel
    Free Member

My bell is on my front door.
    Speaking is a more civilised form of communication.
    Oh, and as a runner we seem to be hated by obnoxious neds hanging out of the windows of white Transits. Or maybe it’s just me.

baccodaddy
    Free Member

even though i wasnt on a footpath could someone tell where in law does it state we cant ride on footpaths anyway.the actual law states a footpath adjacent to a road and neither gives us permission to ride on footpaths but certainly does not prohibit it.so there is no law except a local council decision barring us from riding where we like.as i said ,i slowed down ,gave them right of way,whats the issue apart from their own mentality????

firestarter
    Free Member

I rode with a bell on yesterday for the first time and I got lots of smiles and thank-you’s along the way. I think I will fit them to all my bikes 😉

My little one has one on her balance bike but likes to ring it and shout ding-a-ling at the same time lol

BikePawl
    Free Member

And I’ve seen people grump at people using bells, I agree with Druidh a bell is impersonal, you can change the tone, volume of your voice much better than you can a bell.

trailmonkey

Just do really loud skids when behind them. Not only will it alert them to the fact that you are coming through at speed but it is also likely to excite lady ramblers and will help scrape away the peaty bits off moorland trails and expose the rocky good stuff underneath.

epicyclo

Thank god I live in the north of Scotland. Almost everybody seems polite and happy to give each other space.

Oh, and as druidh says, Hope Pro IIs + BB7s mean no bell needed. Audible means of warning of approach x2 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

epicyclo – Member
    Thank god I live in the north of Scotland. Almost everybody seems polite and happy to give each other space.

T.FIFY.

druidh
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

I’d rather yo use a bell but the humour and the distance away you do it helps.

You can ring a bell in both a humorous and non-humorous way? Do you wear a big red nose for the former?

LeeW

There’s an awful lot of grumpy people on the trails, I’ve been moaned at after pinging my bell, 20 minutes later some one asked where my bell was when I asked (politely) to pass them.

Best course of action I’ve found, ping your bell then say thank you as you go past, if they moan after that, Santa wont come to their house.

epicyclo

druidh – Member
    T.FIFY.

I wasn’t game to comment for the south 🙂

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

baccodaddy – Member
    even though i wasnt on a footpath could someone tell where in law does it state we cant ride on footpaths anyway.

From memory its the Highways Act

13thfloormonk

I wouldn’t get too carried away Druidh, I’ve wasted countless dazzling, charming smiles on some seriously sour-faced folk in the Pentlands, and thats me slowing to a crawl and moving to the side of the path as well.

Also, on a rare occasion we took the bikes over the five peaks we had a hill runner run past us with his spikey shoes and shout ‘you shouldn’t be here!’ while his shoes tore the ground up beneath him. Shouting ‘Why not?’ back at him didn’t ellicit any sort of a response 🙄

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I thin those that don’t use bells should try one – remember to ping it from a distance away. You will be surprised how much it smooths the way.

I know on the surface voice seems more polite but my experience is thats not what the ramblers think

toss
    Free Member

…do a bit of walking, do a lot of biking and I’m Deffo one hell of a TOSSER! 😆

plop_pants
    Free Member

I just use “Cooooeeeeeyyy”. Something friendly. A ping from a bell is emotionless, “excuse me” / “coming past” might impart some sense of you over them (to them).

BikePawl
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    I thin those that don’t use bells should try one – remember to ping it from a distance away. You will be surprised how much it smooths the way.

I know on the surface voice seems more polite but my experience is thats not what the ramblers think

Posted 5 minutes ago # Report-Post

Really, well thank you for patronising me.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

What druid said. Bells in my experience get a worse response.

MrOvershoot

Hmm I’m still not convinced on the bell usage (I have a bell on all bikes apart from my road bike)
    Since using it I have had more abuse than previously!

Worst incident was when a friend had a walking pole shoved through his front wheel for “ringing his bell in an impudent manner” 😯 best bit of it is we always take the mick about how girly his bell sounds.

I think the thing is that some people a miserable old gits whatever, and others are just happy people.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

not aimed at you bikepawl not intended to be patronising.

brakes
    Free Member

some people = tossers
    expect to bump into them once in a while – on a bike, on foot, on the bus, on the internet…

SD-253
    Free Member

[/quote]baccodaddy – Member

my problem is i didnt care they were illegal so why were they so bothered about me .i didnt affect their lives

Very reasonable

,i slowed down to let them pass so why the abuse from them?

Again baccondaddy you are talking about a tiny minority never ever have I had that happen to me

these people are used to having it all to themselves.

Can say thats true. mountain biking has been around considerably longer one of my bikes is 15 years old

generally they are old who moan the same as they moan about how its not like it was 40 years ago

Now we are just being pathetic and i have no doubt you will say the same thing when you are older.

throughout europe (i,m italian)we share the countryside but here the ramblers think they own it.

Bullshit you have no idea whatsoever what they do in the rest of Europe and you should keep your snidey racist remarks to yourself.

shit behind trees,

I carry mine home with me but I expect your right but at least they do not do it on the path so it does not harm anyone.

set there dogs on foxes

Are you real a dog is not likely to get near a fox the fox will move off well before the dog gets there AND a majority of walkers are anti hunting IE middle class Liberal tossers.

BikePawl
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    not aimed at you bikepawl not intended to be patronising.

Posted 5 minutes ago # Report-Post

Unfortunately that’s how your post comes across

brakes
    Free Member

you’re very thorough with your responses aren’t you bbj?

SD-253
    Free Member

baccodaddy – Member
    even though i wasnt on a footpath could someone tell where in law does it state we cant ride on footpaths anyway.the actual law states a footpath adjacent to a road and neither gives us permission to ride on footpaths but certainly does not prohibit it.so there is no law except a local council decision barring us from riding where we like.as i said ,i slowed down ,gave them right of way,whats the issue apart from their own mentality????

You are Moron

where does it state in the law.

It is illegal to cycle on a footpath in fact it is clearly stated on OS maps I have one in my hand now.

Ridding where you like

now I see what you are a selfish tosser who thinks they can cycle across a farmer field destroying his crop and as you have stated

anywhere you want.

Through peoples garden? I had sympathy for you at the start but clearly you are just one selfish tosser. I assume this is not a normal Italian trait???

retro83
    Free Member

Ramblers who make comments like in the OP clearly don’t know their history. 🙂

It is illegal to cycle on a footpath in fact it is clearly stated on OS maps I have one in my hand now.

Really? Mine doesn’t. What’s the wording?

SD-253
    Free Member

13thfloormonk – Member

Thank god I live in the north of Scotland. Almost everybody seems polite and happy to give each other space. Crap Scots are nicer than the English? A nasty little jock remark but expected.

I wouldn’t get too carried away Druidh, I’ve wasted countless dazzling, charming smiles on some seriously sour-faced folk in the Pentlands, and thats me slowing to a crawl and moving to the side of the path as well.

I beleive the pentlands is in Scotland where you said

Do you see any contradiction there? no probably not after all your a jock who thinks himself supperior

Also, on a rare occasion we took the bikes over the five peaks we had a hill runner run past us with his spikey shoes and shout ‘you shouldn’t be here!’ while his shoes tore the ground up beneath him. Shouting ‘Why not?’ back at him didn’t ellicit any sort of a response

Was it illegal to be there? That is a question by the way as footpaths bridle path laws do not apply to Scotland.

his shoes tore the ground up beneath him. Shouting

as a cyclist I can say with absolute certainty that you are lying. Spiked shoes do nothing of the sort while cycling does tare up the ground. Cyclist in this forum actually brag about doing this and say that they deliberately do it so as to get down to rock.

druidh
    Free Member

brandeberryj – Member

Troll of the month?

crikey
    Free Member

Troll indeed.

A sleeper though, established a while ago and being introduced for the Xmas season.

I wonder which of our regulars it is…. 😉

SD-253
    Free Member

brakes – Member
    you’re very thorough with your responses aren’t you bbj?

AND? now that wasn’t to thorough

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Spectacular thats for sure Druidh

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Please, please brandeberryj, stop now before you embarrass yourself any further…

druidh
    Free Member

Z11 – stop biting!

marka.
    Free Member

It’s very entertaining!

angryratio
    Free Member

HA

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

We saw a good deal of ramblers at Malvern today – 99% smiled and were lovely.

The one that wasn’t? She stated firmly that ‘you are not allowed to ride on this, THIS IS A BRIDLEWAY!’

How we chuckled 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 183 total)

The topic ‘ramblers = tossers’ is closed to new replies.