Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Railway Station or Train Station dull poll / "class" or regional?
  • antigee

well i'm originally from the South and first moved to Sheffield in '78 where i found what i thought was a railway station is in fact a train station – thought this was fairly local use but just heard newsreader on the great and correct BBC use train station

Vote now! and tell us location/origin and if you rhyme scarf with giraffe

nigew
    Free Member

Train station/ Halifax
    And its tea not dinner after work 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Train or Railway station, depends how I feel/Various
    Scarf/Giraffe/Bath/Graph, all with a long a.

Oh, and one takes tea in the middle of the afternoon and dinner in the evening.

Bloody proles….

😉

jon1973
    Free Member

Choo-Choo house.

ChrisE
    Free Member

I think you'll find that trains are stationed there not rails!

Southerners have a lot to learn……

C

uplink
    Free Member

Scarf/Giraffe/Bath/Graph, all with a long a.

Scarf – yes because there's a 'r' after the 'a'
    The rest no, as there's no 'r'

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    wl
    Free Member

Reckon it's possibly more generational – older folk know it as a railway station, but it's becoming more common to say train station nowadays. Class might play a part, since middle classes are perhaps more likely to continue using inherited old-school language. I might be talking bollocks though.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Bath with a long "a" here too, except when I'm talking to someone who lives there in which case I use the short "a" to wind them up, or when referring to that team which plays rugby in the Rec…though usually in more insulting terms than just their team name.

I'm sure I call it a train and railway station in equal measure. Can't really work out which is correct.

EDIT: The only people who really care what things are called are the various strata of the middle classes.

uplink
    Free Member

It must me train station – you wouldn't call a bus station a road station would you?

ourmaninthenorth

Railway station for me but, given my current lack of use of the greatest form of public traaaaaansport, I suspect I tend only to refer to it as the station.

The whole long "A" thing is an affectation started in the 18th century, where previously the flat "A" was the norm. However, other things have changed, too; for example, Hertford would have been pronouced "Hartford", hence Hartford, Connecticut being so called.

Of all the things Mike Ferrentino has written in Singletrack, the only useful and interesting article was the one in which he recommended "Mother Tongue" by Bill Bryson. It's very good.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

recommended "Mother Tongue" by Bill Bryson. It's very good.

I would go so far as to say it's his best book.

njee20
    Free Member

Railway station.

They're never referred to as 'train stations' in the industry.

jon1973
    Free Member

I would go so far as to say it's his best book.

As oppose to most of his books where he just moans about how crap everything is.

tiggs121
    Free Member

I live in the only region/county in mainland Britain without a Train/Railway station – so I wouldn't know.

Train journeys are a novelty to us.

…….oh and it's tea after work and dinner in the middle of the day.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

As oppose to most of his books where he just moans about how crap everything is.

😆 Pretty much yeah. Or the books in which he is the one person in the world to whom something absolutely hilarious happens a dozen or so times a day. I mean I get an anecdote-worthy thing happening to me once every so often, but BB, no, it's just funny thing moment after moment.

ourmaninthenorth

…….oh and it's tea after work and dinner in the middle of the day.

If it's dinner in the middle of the day, please explain "brunch".

In chronological order:

Breakfast
    Lunch
    Low or afternoon tea (cake and sandwiches with the crusts removed)
    High or meat tea (what northern types mean by "tea")
    Dinner (though posh people will affect this as supper)

And kindly, when referring to the eighth letter of the alphabet, please do not aspirate its pronunciation. "Aitch" is clearly found in the dictionary. Under the letter "A", not "H".

Though it has its advantages, sometimes I do find The North(tm) exceedingly trying.

tiggs121
    Free Member

"Brunch"? no one uses that term around here so I can't explain.

I assume it's a meal between breakfast and lunch(which is known as dinner) "Lunch" is occasionally used by posh folk.

I supopose we could use the term "Brinner" ?

bigyinn
    Free Member

tiggs121 – Member
    I live in the only region/county in mainland Britain without a Train/Railway station – so I wouldn't know.

Intrigued, where are you then? Rutland?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Railway Station or Train Station dull poll / "class" or regional?’ is closed to new replies.