Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Ragley ti
  • nacho
    Free Member

Hi all, thinking of upgrading my 2005 Whyte 19 for a Ragley ti. Love the 19 but feel like I want something slacker and more stable. Based on reviews etc the Ragley might fit the bill. Anyone got one? What do you think? Also are they available to demo anywhere? (Darn sarf!)

JPcapel
    Free Member

It f.rocks man!

This was the first statement that sprung to mind to sum mine up.
    Search for past threads, loads of us have banged on about how good they are.
    In brief, its a harder riding ti frame, think Cove hummer, the ti properties only become felt when riding hard and then it starts to take the sting out. A decent steel frame actually feels softer (IMO).
    It is slack (very), it has a low bottom bracket – it flies.
    Build is around 23.5lbs, including a 140 float fork and a dropping seat post. I got a 16″ frame and am 5ft 11 and it fits brilliantly, they have long TT.
    has some really nice details to, bridgeless seastays, rear disc brake mount is inside chain/seat stays.
    Both me and geetee1972 have them and think they are the nuts!
    DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT (and repeat…)

nacho
    Free Member

thnx JPcapel, I’m 5’11” and 16″ frame sounds small (the Whyte is 18″) so would want to try on before laying out the cash methinks. I would be building it with my 150mm revs and an uppy downy!

sambob
    Free Member

BadlyWiredDog won’t shut up about his…… 😉

Northwind

I only managed 2 rides on Druidh’s but it’s very, very good- one of the best hardtails I’ve ever ridden actually. Quite specific though, not for everyone I think, I’d happilly do XC stuff on one but the slackness would put some folks off. As an allrounder, superb.

I’ve got an Mmmbop and love the geometry but don’t like the stiffness of it, it really hampers control at speed, the rear end gets kicked off every rock and root where the Ti can track over and round things and keep in control. It’s different to steel, my Soul felt springy whereas the Ti feels soft- but not in a bad way. Arguably ever so slightly disconnected/anaesthetised, it makes me think a little of a full suss with a load of propedal on.

But they are f***-off expensive, so I’m looking out for a used one and in the meantime probably buying a carbon 456 and sticking a head angle reducer in it to see if it does the same job.

Oh- I had a 16 inch Mmmbop and Druidh’s is a 16 inch ti, I’m 5’10 and neither fitted me at all. I’ve got a 410mm seatpost and it was still too short to get a correct pedalling height!

JPcapel
    Free Member

Like you assumed I’d want a an 18″ frame, Brant does odd sizing (no offence intended), his 16″ has the TT of a typical 18″ frame so you can ride small, have loads of stand over height, does require a reasonably long seat post, but nothing excessive.
    geetee1972 had a ti on-one 456 before in 18″ size and was too big, he got the 16″ ragley and is about same height as me.

nacho
    Free Member

yeah heard they aren’t for everyone and it would be my “most of the tiome bike” hence wanting to try one. I ride everything, prefer riding techy rooty stuff and hacking round the local trails.

DT78
    Free Member

At just shy over 6′ I’m riding a 18″ mmmbop.

Should I get a windfall I would buy one in a shot (along with a ti charge duster)

I spent 4 full days in wales at afan/brechfa/cwmcarn on the mmmbop, yes it is stiff but not as bad as most make out (imo). Perfectly copable on big all dayers.

On the descents I was within seconds of my mates on big sussers. Only draw back was when you hit rocky sections at speed which are slightly uphill or flat and want to pedal through you have no chance. You have to ride through it using your knees/arms for suspension and your mates will pull away as they can just keep pedalling

heihei

Unsurprisingly they ride pretty similar to the 456 Ti (did back to back with JP’s Ragley) – main difference is climbing the Ragley is better due to steeper seat angle whilst On One feels more laid back (for same reason) on flattish singletrack.

Northwind

DT78 – Member

I spent 4 full days in wales at afan/brechfa/cwmcarn on the mmmbop, yes it is stiff but not as bad as most make out (imo). Perfectly copable on big all dayers.

Aye, mine is my XC bike… People talk about comfort but I don’t find it any less comfy than my soul or even my full suss.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Ragley ti’ is closed to new replies.