• This topic has 23 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hels.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Radio Scotland, "Out of Doors" re the Pentlands
  • drumon

Just heard BBC Radio Scotland program, "Out of Doors". They had a wee article on the Pentland Hills, voluntary Ranger Service.

One volunteer commented on one episode when they were handing out bells to bike riders and one rider in question, told him "where to stick his bell" as he put it, only to see the cyclist ride off and promptly swerve off his route in order to avoid a lady who stepped into his path without knowing he was approaching from behind her. Just deserts, you could say…. it just annoyed me that a cyclist could be so confident in his abilities or condescending of having a bell on his bike that he had to be rude to someone who is trying to look after everyones' interests in these hills and also didnt take long to prove that a bell wouldnt have been a bad idea after all to warn a walker that he was cycling from behind.

What do you think, ? Do you you have bells on your bikes when cycling in the same places as walkers and other hill users?

Personally I think a bell is a suitable warning rather than shouting a warning, which can sound aggressive or confused depending on the weather or surroundings, bells are usually well understood. certainly was out of order to ignore the offer of a bell from someone who works in the hills for the benefit for all that use them.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I've ridden in the Pentlands several times a week for years, don't have a bell on any of my bikes and have yet to encounter a circumstance where having a bell would have been in any way useful.

I don't shout warnings but if I think the walker isn't aware of my presence I either stop pedaling and let me hope hubs tell them, or say a polite "good morning" or "excuse me". Occasionally they're iPod'd up and don't hear, but then they wouldn't hear a bell either.

Kit
    Free Member

My bell is more useful on the way out to the Pentlands, but have rarely had to use it in the hills. Most walkers hear your tyres/puffing/freehub and if they don't I like to say 'hello' as a way of being friendly. Can't be arsed with that on the ride out there though, hence the bell!

scaredypants

the volunteer's story assumes that the rider would ding his bell even when he thought the walker wasn't going to be in his way – or was it some sort of cowbell ?

rude, all the same

robgarrioch

Generally make a point of having a bell – have often found when riding with those who don't, they get me to go in front where a few walkers are around for warning purposes. About the only time I get to be in the lead…

grumm
    Free Member

Hope Pro II freehub works for me.

westkipper
    Free Member

Wouldn't have a bell on my bikes. I get really pi**ed off with riders that go 'rring rring' at walkers expecting them to clear the way- the bike equivalent of a blast of the car horn. I much prefer to give(or get) a friendly 'scuse me in a human voice ( or wait patiently if they dont hear straightaway).
    I find most walkers in the Pents fine, and pretty used to bikes but you get the occasional one that likes to use your lack of bell as an excuse for a self-righteous moan- some people aren't happy unless they're complaining.

BoardinBob

I put a bell on my commuter last month. It's pretty pointless though as they either can't hear it over their iPod or if they do hear it they look at you as though you just shat in their pocket.

Northwind

As far as the article goes, is anyone in the least bit surprised that the pentlands rangers would be negative about cyclists? Twas ever thus.

I used to have a bell on all my bikes, took it off because people got upset when I used it 😛 There was a letter in the evening news a couple of months ago about cyclists on the canal path "Some cyclists speed up on you without warning, very rude and dangerous. And other cyclists ring their bells at you to demand you get out of the way, very rude!" So you can't win.

I just call out "scuse me", then "thanks" after I pass, never seems to upset anyone, unlike bells.

westkipper
    Free Member

Northwind, yeah, I should add that I also say a big 'cheers' to any walkers that let me pass, and maybe a bit of banter and all- It kind of shows other folk enjoying the hills that cyclists are human too,not some evil people with interests opposed to their own.
    An arrogant tinkle of a bell doesn't have the same effect.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I use a bell a lot – admittedly rarely on the actual pentlands but often on the approaches. I have never had anyone complain about using a bell – but then I don't use it intending to blast folk out of the way – its an apologetic little "ping ping" bell and I ring it from a fair distance away coupled with a smile and a "thank you".

I get thanked for using the bell fairly regularly

With the bell you can alert people to your presence from further away as the sound carries well – I think that is the key to using them along with the smile and the "thank you"

Andituk
    Free Member

I'm in no rush, I'm out for fun, I'll wait for somewhere to pass, or slow down and ask politely.

Ringing a bell to demand people get out of the way just seems rude to me..

druidh
    Free Member

Northwind – Member

As far as the article goes, is anyone in the least bit surprised that the pentlands rangers would be negative about cyclists? Twas ever thus.

Not universally true – some of the Rangers/VRs are keen cyclists. However, it would be fair to say that cyclists are somewhere down the pecking order after landowners/managers and walkers.

I used to have a bell on all my bikes, took it off because people got upset when I used it There was a letter in the evening news a couple of months ago about cyclists on the canal path "Some cyclists speed up on you without warning, very rude and dangerous. And other cyclists ring their bells at you to demand you get out of the way, very rude!" So you can't win.

I just call out "scuse me", then "thanks" after I pass, never seems to upset anyone, unlike bells.

That mirrors my experience. Approach at a suitable speed and there's no need to shout, a polite "excuse me" usually does the trick.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I agree that the bell seems rude – but walkers don't seem to find it so

Resin42
    Free Member

Going around Mugdock today the place was teeming with walkers, as it tends to be on a Sunday afternoon. I've never found a sensible speed and an excuse me to be anything less than effective. I tend to think it's even nicer not to splash them with the puddle they've forced you into. 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

I agree that the bell seems rude – but walkers don't seem to find it so

Many do as Northwinds quote shows.

Kit
    Free Member

I use my bell in exactly the same way as TJ – usually by the time you're close enough to ask to pass the walkers usually get a fright, don't listen, and/or complain you don't have a bell.

The ping ping of mine is a bit pathetic, but enough for people to know there is a cyclist behind them. They don't have to move, after all, but most do.

And when you're cycling along the WOL for 40minutes or so you get really fed up of asking people. Never had any problem. And it gets a smile/laugh if you ride with a group 🙂

westkipper
    Free Member

Maybe, rather than a bell, the best idea would be to get a comedy hooter, like you'd get on a clowns bike* or a device that made a loud fart raspberry type noise- That'd make nearly everyone laugh and only the most stuck-up types would object!

* I mean a PROPER circus-style clowns bike, not my own 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

How about a speaker system that played the Benny Hill theme tune?

westkipper
    Free Member

Or the themetune to Rhoobarb and Custard 🙂

Kit
    Free Member

Or the themetune to Rhoobarb and Custard

Now you're just being silly 🙄

drumon

Suppose its kind of about feeling welcome as cyclists or not.

When I do the "Scuse me" call to warn when i'm approaching, i'm probably knackered so it doesnt sound as polite as it's meant to sound. So i do have a bell, a wee ping or too hasnt raised any adverse reactions from walkers.

Though I'd agree that "pinging" your way along the trails does feel rude and presumptious, like pumping the car horn at every junction! But, the walkers dont seem to mind, bike bells have been around for years and years, older walkers maybe appreciate it because thats what they had "in their day"!

I suppose if I'm walking though, it doesnt matter, bell or a polite shout is better than flying past with no warning at all and catching you unawares.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I got tired of politely saying excuse me and getting a mouthful from people who thought I shouldn't be disturbing their day. I once went on a ride with a friend who had a bell and used it, he got plenty of tuts and mouthfuls too. In fact he got them so regularly he changed to one of those air horns and now uses that instead. Funny how you can get cheesed off with trying to be polite. These days I rely on the sounds of my bike approaching (dont think I'm ever quiet enough to miss) and tend to fly by at speed if it's safe as trying to do the right thing ended up in more arguments and bad taste. As a walker and a rider I can't see what all the fuss is about, I don't wet myself when a biker flies past and I am usually listening out for other trail users rather than walking along in my own little world.

hels
    Free Member

I had an air horn fitted to my bike when I had to ride (in the cycle path) to work across the Meadows during the Edinburgh festival. Great fun !

But if people object to a friendly little ting ting to alert them to your presence then they are likely just out looking for things to tut about, so feel happy that you have provided then with that service.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Radio Scotland, "Out of Doors" re the Pentlands’ is closed to new replies.