Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Radio 4 – what's with all the god bothering today?
  • sl2000

I generally have radio 4 on in the background. This bible stuff is driving me slightly insane – there’s seemingly been nothing else all day. This is meant to be a rant. Apologies for the lack of capitals & random punctuation characters.

Jamie
    Free Member

It’s is readings from the King James Bible to commemorate its 400th year anniversary. The book is part of this countries history in more ways than just a religious one, such as the development of language. So put up or turn it off. Personally I have found some of the programmes quite interesting.

Fascinating fact: Extracts of the KJB was used in the abolition addresses of Abraham Lincoln.

GrahamS

Not a god botherer here but I’ve been finding the literary history quite interesting. The use of language in the KJV is quite remarkable. I also liked the thing on the other night about ”The Journey of the Magi” by TS Eliot.

kimbers

was taught in history that the kjb was written by james as a propaganda tool to justify christianity in the puritan era as well as reinforce the divine right of kings for a deeply unpopular scottish monarch on the english throne; gunpowder plot etc!

Jamie
    Free Member

The book is part of this countries history in more ways than just a religious one, such as the development of language

Oh the irony of talking about language and using countries instead of country’s.

BillMC

There was a hell of a lot of smoting going on when I heard it and stuff about a jealous God who punishes subsequent generations for their ancestor’s misdemeanors, had to change to R3. Nasty, violent, unforgiving and callous stuff in that book. It would have been better if they had a Melvin Bragg-type discursive approach.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oh the irony of talking about language and using countries instead of country’s.

😀

For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.

But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

Spongebob
    Free Member

I heard it and stuff about a jealous God who punishes subsequent generations for their ancestor’s misdemeanors

This “God” bloke sounds a bit like the Scots and the Irish then! 😆

Religion: Such UTTER twaddle!

RustySpanner

I can’t wait to hear the rest of it.

Was soooo annoyed with ‘The Archers’ recently, what with the best character getting killed off, just to make the story more dramatic.

I’m really looking forward to a happy ending for this Jesus bloke.

poppa
    Free Member

About as ironic as Alanis Morissette.

Bez

I’m really looking forward to a happy ending for this Jesus bloke.

His tree-hugging takes on a fairly extreme form, that’s all I’m saying.

For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

I’ve read that a few times now and I’ve no firm idea what it’s on about 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Well it was very late and I was very tired and I was just trying to find something that related to looking at oneself before judging others, as Jamie had done when he pulled himself up over his grammar. 🙂

I don’t think it’s correct really, on reflection. Hang on, I’ll consult my Religious and Ethical Affairs team…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Radio 4 – what's with all the god bothering today?’ is closed to new replies.