• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by pnik.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Radiator positioning
  • Pieface

Currently re-furbishing a room and am considering moving the radiator. Existing radiator is on an internal which is good as it means I’m heating up my own wall rather than an external. However I’m tempted to re-locate this to under the window (Double Glazed) so that I have a completely blank wall to use for furniture. The external wall is cavity insulated. The room is south facing.

Any thoughts / advice much appreciated.

jonba
    Free Member

It isn’t that uncommon in houses I’ve lived in.

Worth considering curtains as if they hang over te radiator you will be heating behind them and not the room.

You can fit reflectors to go behind radiators that might limit the amount you are heating the wall.

johndoh
    Free Member

My understanding of it is that rads are meant to be under windows as the natural air movement from the cooler and draughtier window means the room is heated more efficiently and evenly.

freeagent
    Free Member

Yep, where possible ours are all on external walls… I thought that was the way it was supposed to be??

Pieface

I thought that if you were heating up an internal wall that was good as you’d be heating up what’s inside your house and that would hold on to the heat for longer, making it slightly more efficient.

McHamish
    Free Member

We’re renovating a house where in some rooms the rads were moved to an internal wall.

We’re paying someone to move them back.

They’re more efficient under the window and they don’t take up wall space that doesn’t already have a window on it.

McHamish
    Free Member

I thought that if you were heating up an internal wall that was good as you’d be heating up what’s inside your house and that would hold on to the heat for longer, making it slightly more efficient.

From what I understand it’s more efficient under the window due to the interaction with cold air falling over the radiator, and hot air rising.

Here’s a pic I just found;

Here another where the rads on an internal wall;

pnik

We had this debate a few years ago, I think there is still logic to using the internal walls as thermal mass, however with the benefit of hindsight it is a pain in the posterior arranging furniture when so much of the wall is unavailable for windows, doors and rads. On balance next time I’ll go back to under the windows, for all the lost heat through the wall/windows.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Radiator positioning’ is closed to new replies.