Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • raceface turbine stem recall….
  • onedpete
    Free Member

Hi guys, thanks to a post on here, I discovered that I had a ‘dodgy batch’stem faceplate, cracking on certain stems been reported… Tbh, it’s had a year of pretty hard riding and has never given me any trouble, but after speaking to silverfish I received my new faceplate today.Apparently it’s a ‘voluntary’ recall, which in itself is a bit weird as I had no idea ththerwas even a problem until I stumbled upon a post about it!! Only thing is, after fitting it, there is a mm or two of gap between it and the stem body, whereas it was a proper flush fit before?! Seems a bit strange as its supposed to be interlocking faceplate on thoses stems, reckon more stress to bolts too. Anyone else found this issue with the replacement faceplates? Gonna query it with silverfish on Monday methinks….

thegreatape
    Free Member

I have that stem and that mm ish gap is there.

(I emailed silverfish after seeing the side by side photo someone kindly posted on the other thread, from which I thought I had the thinner one, but the new one they sent is identical, so I guess I was wrong about that).

onedpete
    Free Member

Yeah, cheers for the link househusband, that’s where I first got wind of the issue. I identified from the product number that mine was supposedly one of the affected stems and contacted Silverfish. Scott was who I spoke to, and he kindly sent me a new redesigned faceplate, that I received today. It is defo noticeably thicker, more substantial (and I guess heavier!?) Hoewever, once fitted, it seems not to align as well as the old one which mated snugly to the stem body with no gap. This one leaves a small gap, I can see a few bolt threads…Just a bit odd, like they’ve added the material to the inside of the clamp or something!!??

thegreatape
    Free Member

Check out some pics on google images. The gap is visible on those that show it with bars fitted.

onedpete
    Free Member

Yeah, I see that, some seem to have the gap whilst others don’t. Bit strange, but I guess it’ll be ok, probably give silverfish a bell Monday, see what they say….Oh, also, one of my faceplate bolts is trying to round out, anyone know what size and best place to order replacements? Ti would be nice…

RustyMac

In regards to the face plate, I would be surprised if the tapered edged of the stem and faceplate met, this could mean that the bar is not being clamped in the stem and you simply have interference between the stem and face plate.

Most stems have a mm or so gap all round so as to account for any manufacturing intolerance in a bar.

Ti stem bolts, for small numbers i have found ebay to be fairly reasonable, see link below.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Titanium-Ti-M4-x-20mm-Taperhead-Socket-Bolt-Screw-Silver-/291131571925?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Nails_Fixing_MJ&var=&hash=item43c8cb3ed5

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘raceface turbine stem recall….’ is closed to new replies.