Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Raceface Cinch
  • mboy
    Free Member

Looking at a new crank for my full sus, specifically a new Raceface Cinch setup. Just wondering a few things, if anybody can help…

1. What’s the BB bearing life like? RF make a big thing about saying they’re just standard 6806 bearings in their own cups, which is the same as BB30, but do they last well or not?

2. Is the 30mm dia 92mm wide standard they use the same as that used on the new Hope cranks? ie. can I use a Hope BB instead (that I ordered accidentally and have lying around spare and CBA to send back)?

3. Any drawbacks to the system at all, initial purchase price aside?

mattjg
    Free Member

yeah, my trusted not so-L BS said the bearings are a bit small due to large diameter spindle. 😉

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’m no help but I’m interested in the same cranks for my new build.

mboy
    Free Member

yeah, my trusted not so-L BS said the bearings are a bit small due to large diameter spindle.

Trying to get a bit more feedback from those who’ve taken the plunge so far, but yeah, the bearings still ain’t the biggest. Hence my questioning!

That, and it would be nice if I knew I could use a Hope BB…

mattjg
    Free Member

haha. I watch with interest. research is good! 😀

Northwind

Aeffect has a 24mm spindle, if you want to avoid silly BBs.

mboy
    Free Member

Aeffect has a 24mm spindle, if you want to avoid silly BBs.

I know where I am with 24mm, that’s not the problem. There’s gotta be a few people out there now with the 30mm system on their bikes, and reports on longevity surely?

fathomer

Hope’s 30mm BB works as far as I’m aware?!

dovebiker

Replaced mine after 10 months on my fatbike – uses standard BB30 bearings but you can’t remove them without forking-out £80 for the special tool. The other faff is the weenie allen key needed for the preload adjuster – why does the screw head have to be so friggin’ small?

mark_rich
    Free Member

The standard cinch bb fitted to my strive seized after about 6 rides, managed to free it off by removing the bearing seals and soaking with lube, the bearings were rusted, reassembled and packed with grease, been ok for a ride since but don’t hold much hope for them.

dovebiker

Popped the bearing seals a few times but the plastic ball retainer doesn’t ease access to cleaning and repacking. Would prefer than the outer bearing cover was a bit more effective than hard plastic. Also fitted a rear wheel shroud that means the bearings aren’t continually sprayed by the back wheel.

mboy
    Free Member

All useful info cheers guys

See lots of reports online of “increased bearing life” over previous RF BB’s, mostly on the PF30 and Threaded BB’s though, both of which use a standard 6806 bearing. Seems the BB92 which I’d need isn’t lasting all that long though… Hmmm…

Hope’s BB is £50 and uses Enduro bearings, but it is literally just the 2 bearings and a couple of shields! So if they wear out its not just a case of buying 2 cheap 6806 bearings… Hmmmm

zelak999
    Free Member

Hopes 30mm BB definitely works, only comes in black though.
    Happy with my cinch turbines so far, strong and light and look cool.

boxxer7
    Free Member

Hopes 30mm bb defintely works one of my riding buddy’s has one with his sixc cranks. Soon as my one wears out I will be ordering a hope one

Northwind

mboy – Member

I know where I am with 24mm, that’s not the problem.

OK, just checking that you realised there’s a cinch crank with 24mm.

Alex

Mine lasted 6 mostly dry months. You need a special RF or similar tool to remove/refit (Shimano one is too small). For me it’s a solution looking for a problem. I like the cranks but at £35 for a BB that is very hard to service/repack and has the longevity of a wine gum, I’m going back to Shimano when this set of transmission wears out.

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

I’ve had cinch for just over a year and the first set of bearings seized within a month of so which raised alarm bells but I’ve since discovered then seem particularly sensitive to preload, it needs to backing off a little compared to shimano 24mm. The 2nd set of bearings is still running smoothly but I’m going to try the Hope version next time as apparently they work great.

If you interested I’m selling an unused pair of Turbine cranks with a 32 tooth ring but no bb – £140.00 delivered. They were delivered on a new Whyte 909 but I replaced them with my preused Next Sl’s before using the bike.

gelert
    Free Member

Installed Next SL Cinch 30mm with BSA BB in July on my Alpine. Done 250 miles (like I stole it miles, too) so far. Only issue has been the plastic bearing pre-tensioner screw split the plastic slightly. It’s held fine but I’ve bought a spare at £16 (must be 50p worth!).

So far so good with the bearings, no play. Lots of crud has been on them. My previous RF BB, a 24mm one that came on the bike had play after only 600 odd miles but that was the old style ones.

I did my research when I bought the system as I had to buy the special BB tool to install / remove the BB and I was led to believe that with the Hope 30mm BB you had to have a RF adaptor (which was very difficult to obtain) to make it work. I’d be interested in the setup with the Hope BB.

However, now having the £15 tool (only Evans’ sold it) and the RF 30mm BSA BB being £35 a pop I’ll just hope they last a year each. Then after a few years it’ll make getting the bearing popper tool (£70) worth it and I can fix up all the old BB shells I have lying around. Or I’ll just ride my bike…

I installed an SLX crank + XT BB on the other bike in September and I’ve done the same miles on both already. I know which I expect to last the longest and have the most rides during winter! A previous XT BB lasted 1500 miles and was still spinning silky smooth when I sold it on.

But Next SL is 440g with 32T DM 🙂 Bling just had to be done. Previous RF crank was 880g!

gelert
    Free Member

The other problem I had with Cinch 30mm was that I couldn’t get any ISCG-old Chain Guides to fit behind the BB shell (because it’s bigger than usual) with spacers which are needed to align to the 51mm fixed chain line.

Ended up returning to the MRP BB mounted one that came on the bike. It rubs in 10th gear. Chain has never dropped.

On the SLX (49mm CL) I bought a E*Thirteen seat tube chain guide for the single N/W ring and that rubs in 1st but not enough to be an issue. No further adjustments available. I ran without a chain guide for a few weeks but I’d bounced the chain off despite running a Zee rear mech so I have to run one on both bikes.

The Aeffect hadn’t been released to the public when I did my cranks but it looks like a winner. Run an XT BB and Aeffect cranks. They’re lighter than Turbine and can have all the cinch rings. I’m not sure what bearing pre-tensioner they’re using on the Aeffect though. Shimano’s is hands down the best method.

gee
    Free Member

Rotor BBs seem to be lasting a lot longer than the RF ones. I have 3 sets of these cranks with Rotor on all now.

GB

ferrals
    Free Member

Just had an RF pressfit one installed – now thinking I should have gone Hope or Rotor 😥 We will see!
    I was going to get Rotor but had heard odd compatibility things with the cinch cranks needing RF BB’s so erred on the safe side.

Still unsure if the marginally wider q-factor of Turbines will annoy me or not

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Raceface Cinch’ is closed to new replies.