• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by adsh.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Race photography and flash
  • dropoff

We regularly shoot pics of you guys at race events, and are considering covering an upcoming night enduro. Because it will obviously be dark on the trails it will be very difficult to get high quality saleable results without using some form of extra lighting. We have done this on a previous occassion and received farourable comments with regard to the flashguns. However we would be interested to hear your views on the subject. Thanks

GregMay
    Free Member

Personally, I hate being flashed at.

With regards to lighting, I also don’t particularly like it when a flash is aimed at me when it goes off over a technical section of trail – as kept happening at WEMBO in October. In the same spot. Each lap. All night.

Bounce it, or light the background and highlight the foreground with the rider. Just don’t blind my line of sight.

legend
    Free Member

The only people that ever seem to makes complaints about flashes at races are the ones who always have an excuse for their run. I’ve never had a problem with them as I know exactly how good I am 🙂

For night races you just have to be a little careful with timing and positioning, otherwise crack on!

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member
    dropoff

TSC thanks for the link, some interesting comments there.

stumpy01

Yeah – timing, positioning of flashes and some kind of warning further up the trail.

I’ve only been bothered by it once, but that was where some bloke had put a flash gun firing right into your eyes at the entrance to a narrow, rooty section. He was getting quite a lot of abuse and moved shortly afterwards.

dropoff

I’ve often thought about putting a sign saying “smile, you’re on camera” but surely nobody would have time to read it and it would be more distracting than just taking the pic ?

andy8442
    Free Member

Have you considered LED constant lights?

BigDummy
    Free Member

Infra-red pictures would be the bestest. I appreciate this may be a lot of hassle.

🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Never bothered me in dim conditions (some Pearce DH rounds felt like they were at night) though Darkness may be more of an issue.

I’d be interested to see some of the results from previous events – if you could post some examples with “This was flash from xxx” “this was lit from above” etc.

kayak23

Night Enduro you’re going to have bright, dazzling lights buzzing about everywhere.

Flash away I’d say.

dropoff

Hi Mike albums here, various flash positions https://www.flickr.com/photos/88523005@N03/sets/72157638554636255/

mtbel
    Free Member

If you wanna be a rockstar you gotta accept the Paps.. wannabe’s can always hang about the stage door.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh9WuPzOjlI[/video]

adsh
    Free Member

I came within a mm of a big crash at a night event last year when I took a different line to everyone else (but still on the course) and realised as I passed him that the cameraman was using that piece of track so whatever you use make sure it’s not on what a rider could consider to be the course!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Race photography and flash’ is closed to new replies.