Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Race Face X-Type BB bearings
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I think I have one of these – cannot remember what I was told it was called when I bought it, but it has Race Face Team XC written on it and it looks like this:

I was told the bearings are replaceable, but it says on this page you need a special tool. So:

1) What bearings? CRC sell Race Face branded ones or will I do better getting them elsewhere? What’s the number?

2) Can I change them without the special tool? Is it worth trying?

Phil_H

I’ve managed to bodge mine out and in using the hope BB tool.
    The race face bearings are cack in my experience.
    The number is 6805 and you will probably need new top hats.

You can get an MT800 from wiggle for 12 quid which will be less hassle and cheaper which will be the option I go for next time.

dmck16
    Free Member

Replaced my Raceface BB with a new Shimano unit (M8000) last year. The cost and benefit of keeping the Raceface BB didn’t make sense.

Plus, this M8000 BB has far outlasted it.

coatesy
    Free Member

Usually seriously tight in the cups, though soaking in boiling water helps, and if you don’t break the top-hats removing them, there’s a fair chance they’ll break on refitting. As above, probably better to put a new Shimano one in at internet prices.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well I ordered some enduro bearings, the ones that are filled with extra grease for low speed applications. Cost more than a cheap Shimano job though so hope it’s worth it. Original lasted two years.

coatesy
    Free Member

Pretty sure i’ve got the correct presses for those in the workshop (will have to double check though), if I have, feel free to bring the cups in to the shop to press them in.

molgrips
    Free Member

Thanks – I will if I can’t get them out with heat.

I have some presses for the car that should get them in again.

coatesy
    Free Member

I haven’t got anything more sophisticated than a long drift for removal. Leave the BB in the frame so you have something solid to work against, and submerge the cups in a pan of boiling water before knocking the bearings out.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Race Face X-Type BB bearings’ is closed to new replies.