Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • race crown question
  • Paul-j

Not sure if i have made this up, but is it possible to get a race crown that fits a 1.1/8th steer tube, but will work wth a integrated tapered headset? Just thinking easy of swaying forks around.

Hope integrated tapered headset fitted in the frame in question.

Thanks in advance

andrewh
    Free Member

Does the headset come with a crown race?

Paul-j

Sorry, i have a set of 44 rc3 with a tapered steertube which uses the tapered race crown from the hope headset. But looking at getting some fox 36 van Rc2 for uplift days. But they have a 1.1/8th steer so instead of changing  the lower headset cup each time, i wondered if there was a race crown which would work with a straight steer Tibet’s and a tapered lower headset cup.

druidh
    Free Member

Some manufacturers do just such a crown race. I’ve just bought one for a Chris King and I have a complete On On Smoothie mixer with both 1.1/8th and tapered races. It may be that Hope do such a thing too.

andrewh
    Free Member

Oh. What you mean is:
    Can I get a crown race for an 1 1/8″ fork which will fit into a 1.5″ lower headset cup?
    Presumably so that you can have one crown race on each fork and not have to chage the headset to a step-down adaptor every time you change forks?
    Answer is, I don’t know! [EDIT] Druid does.
    I thought you meant this http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/probably-a-stupid-headset-question Lots of useful (?!) headset info there…

Rorschach
    Free Member

You want one of these

Hope HS136,about £10
    Then just swap your existing crown race (it’s split so it’ll come off by hand).

druidh
    Free Member

It doesn’t have to come off. He’ll have one crown race on each set of forks…..

Rorschach
    Free Member

In my defence…I am tighter than a gnats chuff (so would make do with just the one).

Paul-j

druidh – correct, well thats what i imagine anyway.

druidh
    Free Member

I’m thinking he’ll need the HS136 on the Vans and the existing crown race will stay on the 44 RC3s

Paul-j

Rorschach – might be being thick here but, with the Hope HS136 would that gone on the 1. 1/8th tube first then the tapered race crown second?

Rorschach
    Free Member

HS136 is just an adaptor (to make the steerer 1.5 sized),you still need a crown race on it.

druidh
    Free Member

Ah – I though the description “TAPERED 1.5″ REDUCER (CROWN)” meant you didn’t need another Crown Race. Neither the On One nor the Chris King require that you use the large Crown Race as well.

I COULD BE WRONG

Paul-j

I see. so it can be done.

thank you

Scapegoat

Adapter on 1 1/8th steerer and split crown race fitted

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘race crown question’ is closed to new replies.