Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Rab Wardell
  • BoardinBob

is in hospital. Sounds like a lucky escape and it sounds like rhabdomyolsis which is nasty

Ok. Where to start? First of all thanks for all of the messages of concern and well wishes. I failed to start the final stage of the Epic and things have been quite serious so there haven’t been many posts. Things have not been great but I am now on the mend and in good spirits.

Over the last week I’ve basically raced myself into intensive care. A combination of fatigue, dehydration, heat stroke and exertion meant I was breaking down my muscles and I’ve done some damage to my heart, which has become inflamed and a infected.

On Saturday night I felt really tired and had no appetite so napped and planned to eat after. When I got up after two hours sleep I was nausious and vomited. I went to the medics and was placed on a drip with a temperature of 38.7. When my temperature came down I went back to my tent, got to sleep and felt ok, planing to race the final stage.

In the morning before the stage I had either a panic attack or a fit. Luckily it was when Ben was getting up for breakfast and he managed to pull me out of the tent. I was unconscious for a while before the medics resuscitated me. I was taken to the medical tent and stabilised and then taken in a ambulance to hospital. I’ve been in intensive care since yesterday and I am making a good recovery. I should be out of hospital tomorrow and hope to fly home on the 8th of April after spending the week with my team in Cape Town.

I’d like to thank everyone for their well wishes and concerns. Special thanks to my parents who have been holidaying here this week and have been by my side all the time. Of course Ben Roff, Paul Beales, Mariske Strauss and her father Bryan, my team mates and my sponsors. Also the medical team at the Absa Cape Epic, the paramedics and the staff at the hospital have been incredible.

Given the chance I will be back to finish the Epic. For now I’m focused on resting and getting back to riding my bike. It looks like I’ll need to take around a month off and will try to return to racing in May.

Thanks again,

Rab

ChrisI

Jebus! Heal fast bud. I had the fortune to be taught by Rab when he and Andy from Dirt School came down to Peaslake. Brilliant rider and a good craic, taught me and the missus plenty which I still use every ride.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Rab Wardell’ is closed to new replies.